Oculus Rift with SotA? Not anymore!! (Facebook bought it...)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jouten, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DNA Cowboy

DNA Cowboy Avatar

[​IMG]

Attention market leaders!
    Want to creep out your customer base?
    Raring to poison your products in the eyes of consumers?

No problem, sell out to Facebook today!

[​IMG]

Dhimmi likes this.
  2. WhiteZero

WhiteZero Avatar

3. Owain

Owain Avatar

Good article.

I suspect that many of the same developers will be retained on the project, and if Zuckerberg can afford to pay $2 billion for it, he can afford to support the development and marketing of the project far better than would be possible otherwise. I'm sure he has plans that will provide a return on that investment. We'll have to wait and see what he comes up with. Since I don't have $2 billion plus laying around, I'm in no position to compete with him on it.

If Steve Jobs had listened to random people on Usenet back in the day, Apple would still be selling only the Apple II, and there would be no Macs, no Ipods, no Ipads, etc.

Extraordinarily successful businessmen don't become extraordinarily successful by reading suggestions or complaints on gaming forums.

4. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Comparing Zuckerberg to Jobs is silly.
    Though I would be pretty excited if Oculis became a household name like Apple.

5. WhiteZero

WhiteZero Avatar

And the excitement just keeps coming! Michael Abrash, VALVe's resident VR guru, has joined up with Oculus.
    http://www.oculusvr.com/blog/introducing-michael-abrash-oculus-chief-scientist/

What a dream-team they have now:

People who left Valve and joined Oculus:
    • Michael Abrash - the brain of VR at Valve and the right hand of John Carmack in the Quake days
    • Atman Binstock - one of the lead engineers and driving forces behind Valveā€™s VR project
    • Tom Forsyth - responsible for VR R&D, wrote big chunks of the Team Fortress 2 VR support for the Oculus Rift.
    And people who left id Software and joined Oculus (title in Oculus):
    • John D. Carmack (id co-founder, id Techs and Wolfenstein, Quake, Doom creator) - Chief technology Officer
    • J.M.P. van Waveren (Quake 3 bots creator, Doom 3 physics, Virtual Texturing in Rage) - Senior Engineer
    • Christian Antkow - Engineer
    • Matt Hooper (Creative Director in id) - Director of Development

6. Jouten

Jouten Avatar

This is actually a pretty good in-depth video blog on the opinion over the acquisition. Get some popcorn cuz it's about 2 hours long.

Golem Dragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.