Okay dumb newb question, the first of many I'm afraid

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Breygon, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breygon

Breygon Avatar

Okay, a friend gave me a gift of Founders level Adventurer's pledge. I also went the Alienware Arena site and redeem the coupon for an additional $20. If I am reading things correctly, including Koldar's wonderful spreadsheet. (Huzzah to Koldar!) I should be sitting at the Founder tier. Which also means, unless I am seriously mistaken, should have a bunch of stuff in my inventory/backpack.

However, after I downloaded the client, and let it patch itself up to the current release, and signed into the game, my inventory was emptier than Old Mother Hubbard's Cupboard.

Is this normal? Am I expecting too much so soon? I realize that this is pre-alpha, so I am not expecting anything near a finished product but I am curious if something went FUBAR or not?

2. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

As far as I am aware, those things are for inclusion in the finished game, not for little slices of weekend pre-alpha testing.

There were occasional 'founder' objects spread through the world to pick up, however. And I saw some people in 'founder' armour.

For example, in the armour and weapons shop you could get various weapons off the rack to play with (which had no monetary value).

But in terms of starting with a backpack full of founder gear, no, I don't believe that was meant to happen. Some of that stuff might not even be created yet.

Ember Isolte, Olahorand and Phredicon like this.
  3. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Firstly: welcome to the game and the community. Lots of helpful people here.

Secondly: there is no such thing as a dumb question. The only dumb question is the one you didn't ask.

Thirdly: this is indeed a pre-alpha. All we are doing at this stage is helping the awesome dev team test the game as they are building it. I'm supposed to have a lovely house, servant, pet and all sorts of nice things when the game launches; at this moment I'm the same as you - nada.

So despair not. All will be revealed - in October, according to current plan. Lots of pre-release testing to do before then though :)

Ember Isolte and Olahorand like this.
  4. Breygon

Breygon Avatar

I hate to be a Negative Nancy here, but based on my experience with software development projects over the last 20+ years, I would think things would be further along if release is in 6 months time.

5. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

I highly doubt the full release will be in 6 months time. It would have to be incredibly rushed to meet that projected date, as the game has a long way to go.

Olahorand likes this.
  6. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

I would imagine an alpha or so in 6 months, doubt a full release.

Time Lord and Olahorand like this.
  7. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

This is an extreme development experience. :) Another thing you will not have seen in your development experience, they only began development less than a year ago (we are coming up on the anniversary of the Kickstarter). If you have been keeping with the Alphas you would see the advancements they are making and how quickly, and it has been impressive. Yes they have a ways to go, and it is worth keeping in mind rarely do KS project complete on schedule. This is why "approximately" is put next to all the delivery dates.

Personally, I expect delays because all the KS projects that did complete on time were not what I would consider impressive, so a few months here or there will help the polish and result in the better game. However, we are seeing the work and features introduced each month and so far they are pretty much on schedule, and the schedule determine the timeline.

Ember Isolte, Asclepius and Olahorand like this.
  8. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

If they release in October I will be a donkeys saddle bags!

docdoom77 likes this.
  9. monxter

monxter Avatar

First of all I have to say that YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER... that there are no dumb questions! :)
    Welcome to the community.

About the release date, I've got my fingers crossed & hoping it won't be delayed too much.

10. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Likewise. One very significant thing to be grateful for though - we don't have somebody like EA shouting "Get that damn game on the shelf - if it's not finished it's just too bad!"

This is the very reason why RG and team went the way they did - they can build an awesome game just the way they (and we) want. It will be released when it is perfect.

And I really hope it is October, but I want them to get it right.

monxter likes this.
  11. Roger36

Roger36 Avatar

I think 6 months is a bit optomistic, but they are still on track game development wise so far!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.