on players soloing dragons...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StrangerDiamond, Mar 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

These days 200 GM's is overrated - 1 mil xp/hour at Control points -10h/day for 20 days = 200 mil xp = 200 GM's in 20 days , all you need is the time/patience/opportunity to find a decent party.

2. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

My friend. Your painting with a very broad brush and this is simply something we will have to agree to disagree on.

"A person that accepts a handicap is considered mature in any and all sports and games," not true.

I grew up playing American football, basketball and baseball and track and field and we did not deal in handicaps. I remember football games that we lost by 70 or more points but we finished the game and did not accept a handicap and learned valuable lessons from the loss and got better over time. Our motto was "rise to the challenge".

As an adult I still don't accept handicaps and neither do my friends. That said I am sure you are around plenty of people who are ok with handicaps and that's fine.....for you and them but saying "everyone" is ok with handicaps and if your not your immature is false.

Live and let live my friend and don't try to drag the rest of us over to your way of thinking :) :) have a great day :)

3. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

Ha, I have no interest in obtaining such a level. I have fought it in a group and did find it not that exciting. Keep your buffs up and spam your best spells seemed to be the best strategy. Sometimes I would get critical hit and die but I didn't play for 15 hours a day and have that many GMs. I'm just saying a more strategic fight would be interesting rather than what seems to be if you have the skills high enough that are needed. Or at least a better mix.

StrangerDiamond likes this.
  4. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

We are using strategy, you just dont know it cuz you dont know.

5. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Jump the tail swipes and afterward the dragon usual bites or wing-swipes... hitting parry for the 4.5 second "super parry" after the tail-swipe usually causes me to only take a hundred damage instead of 300. Practice helped me here.

If Mac forgets to re-up my Valiant or I forget his, one of us dies.

Often I get low health because I pull too much agro so I stop attacking and Mac heals me and takes back agro and we're at it again.

I could go on...

There are quite few tactics at play to make it look easy not including the trial and error to get the tactics down and timing for everything decent.

We also didn't show the red dragon fights where the dragon kicked our asses.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  6. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Ditto... people can look at the time I put in and check back on previous posts detailing exactly what I did, where, and for how long immediately following persistence, which I took 3 weeks off from the Red Cross to enjoy... plenty of people were with me, in game or in chat. Short story is I played a lot and killed a lot.

I'm not gonna change people saying stuff like this so why try. Trolls gonna troll. I'll just keep playing when I get home from work to unwind and help out people where I can... it's a much better use of my time.

7. Vero

Vero Avatar

Exactly, same goes for other builds used to solo the dragon. I prefer deathmagic (this release), the fight might look like 'just spamming some buttons' but it's more then that ;)

Sara Dreygon and Mac2 like this.
  8. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

I think everyone is forgetting that whilst us mere humans cannot slay a dragon without the help of many friends and allies it can be done solo as proved by St George the patron saint of England. [​IMG]

Please note it was an Englishman who completed this quest first ;)

9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

*cough*
    ;):p
    *puts tongue firmly in cheek*

First
    The Ænglians of Ængoland were just a mere province of the Ænglian danes and as such any glory therefrom should be added to the latter's and not the former's renown.

Second
    Mr Georgius (Γεώργιος) was not Ænglish but rather Greco-Roman of the roman province of Syria-Palaestina. Your words have now most likely angered the saint and you can expect a lightning bolt or swarm of locusts shortly.

Third
    Mr Georgius earthly life predates the Ænglian (Lat: Anglii) migration/conquest to the infested and infernal swamps of Northumbria / Mercia by about one and a half centuries give or take a generation or so. Which makes your insult to both him and to the Ænglians worse and probably deserves a sodom / hel of its own. (Yes, the hel with one 'L', not the other one since the latter and the former doesn't share the same belief system).

Fourth
    While the Ænglians were known for many things dragon slaying was not one of them and it should be noted that in Beowulf it is a Göte and not an Ænglian who does the deed. And when it comes to the formidable Fafnir that was Sigurd who was of the Burgundian danes. (No, not the ones who would later stake out a province in Frankland but the originals who lived next to the Jutes). I could go on but lets just sum it up with the Ænglian swamp dwellers/colonizers in Northumbria / Mercia not being known for their prowess with beasts. Or to be blunt, their overall prowess hence their subsequent defeats from Saxons, Jutes and finally the united danelaw.

Fifth
    The honorary of the first dragon slayer in the european hemisphere should really go to Marduk of Enûma Eliš fame for his momentous mušḫuššu slaying. Oh and for the scholarly challenged he happens to predate Mr Georgius by somethin measured in millenia.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Adam Crow, Alley Oop, Koss and 6 others like this.
  10. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

bugger, three cheers for Brexit then! (not really)

11. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

He killed a drake :p

13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I like how your only example is highly competitive "elite" sports.

Besides if I say that you're mature when you accept hand-in-cap... does not mean I say you're immature :p lol...

The logic you explain just goes to show how different we are in our logic.

I said I did understand better, I do... the american football model where everyone is either full of questionable substances or a genetic xmen mutant ? :p

Of course... if you're not part of the elite they kick out out and laugh at you lol... good bullying model, not surprising there is no handicap there. You should actually have thought about that when making your argument :p

I'm talking sports people play for fun, not the olympics... its a game here we play for fun... not to make many million dollars a year by risking our health :)

14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

That one is another Norse affair I'm afraid.

It is your Norman upper class (Yes, Norman as in Rollo and the Northmen who got bribed with upper Frankland and who's descendent bastard later settled his cousin's inheritance with Harold by replacing the local aristocracy with his drinking buddies from Normandy and Frankish Brittany) which deluded your populace with the help of the descendants of Rurik's rike (Yes, the settlers in Gårdarike of Kievan Rus fame with the aid of the Varanyans (Eng: Varangians) who were closer to Miklagård in Särkland, or Byzatium as some called it) who it should be noted now has a rather vast empire of their own in the east which might be referred to as just Russia nowadays. But which seems less upsetting to the Island inhabitants then their former colonies in the west whom seem much more agitated by such meddling then the Cumbrian union with the Picts.
    The Norman influence could easily be deduced by the surnames of your political elite which usually stem from the Norman / Frankish roots, like Farage.
    Well, as long as they are not from German saxony descent like the royal family. For such it seemed more prudent with a fake name taken from a castle.
    But I digress slightly so in the name of such prudence nigh better end thusly.

Edit
    *again tongue in cheek*

StrangerDiamond and Fungus like this.
  15. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

It doesn't matter which examples I give my friend. We are just not going to agree on this. Be it competitive elite sports or laxidazy lawn darts, card games, or video games for fun, me and many of those around me and who I have met in my life don't agree with handicaps. We find it insulting. We have more 'fun' going up against an opponent vastly superior to us and losing than to have said opponent take it easy on us so we have a better chance of winning and I have acknowledged that you and many of those your around don't agree and I even said that's fine.....for you and them. It doesn't work for me and mine. Lets agree to disagree my friend :) :)

16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Oh, I see !

You simply confuse going easy on someone and a handicap !

I'd like to agree to disagree but I cannot if you withhold information from me :p

A handicap is a measured effect on score or shooting distance, since it is measured, noone even thinks that it is any form of going easy because that is within the rules. The handicap is also voluntary, so noone ever in the whole history of sports was ever insulted by it.

If I walk two small steps away from the throwing line at darts, it is because it is also a bigger challenge for ME to beat my friend with the handicap.

Those evenings with handicaps because we know the exact measure we need to make the game ultra challenging for both were the most memorable, because then I could commemorate that famous night where I hit 3 bullseye in 3 rounds from 3 feet away. And collect my bet :D

My friend knows he cannot beat me at darts, and I know I can't beat him at bowling, but we both enhance our experiences :) The same in any D&D game I ran, I always asked the players when a new player joined a game, either he starts at your level or you take a pvp handicap. The answer was always to meet in the middle, reduce his starting level AND reduce their own level. Even more, it was a subject of pride, because then the interactions were more about skills and structure than about levels.

I mean this is something all old school roleplayers will agree to, to some extent at least... because its part of the soul of having fun while playing a "role"... it has to feel real within a certain measure. Just like in any LARP tournament I was in... if the guy I'm fighting against is level 30, and I'm level 10... then even the player who's level 30 automatically don't want to be a one hitter, because then other players would not think it is his fighting skills that made him win. In fact I think it would be hard to find people that find this fun, and not create a cause for a loooong debate on their intentions :p

In many medieval movies and literature, you often see fights with one hand behind the back because its all a matter of candor. It can be an insult in a socio-political context, but only if the challenger imposes the handicap on himself without respecting the other's right to say FAIR MATCH. That goes both ways :) its really not cool to impose either handicap, that we all agree on :)

Sorry, I cannot agree to disagree because we do not disagree. I would respect your request to have a fair match, as I would naturally use handicaps with my friends when it feels appropriate, so I agree with both.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2018
  17. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

I made it to page 3 of this thread and then realized Ahuaeynjgkxs changed his forum name to StrangerDiamond so I read a few more pages to try to find out why and then I gave up. :)

18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

That is a very long story, but in short, the new world is released, my true avatar is as well :)

hroth and Spoon like this.
  19. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Ok my friend. If you can't agree to disagree, than I will. :) It doesn't matter what words I use to describe 'handicap' be it 'take it easy' or another. Its the same and me and mine disagree with the concept and ARE insulted when others try to trust it upon us period and this "so noone ever in the whole history of sports was ever insulted by it." is provably wrong but I won't even dive down THAT rabbit hole. :) :) Relax buddy. :) there is no 'winning' or 'losing' here. This is a discussion between two people who have two very different views on this topic. I'm not trying to change your mind, I'm just expressing my views and ideas and you won't change my mind. :) lets call it good and end this. Feel free to respond to this if you wish but I won't be responding back. I'm moving one. Have a good day my friend. :) :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018
    StrangerDiamond likes this.
  20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thanks for your replies, however your opinion about elite sports does not really apply to dragons within a virtual game, I have looked around the web for references of people being insulted by handicaps, and I did an extensive search because genuinely curious... and all I can find is references to the contrary, that its something cool even in the united states.

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/ho...ystem-designed-to-welcome-more-golfers--.html

I have not found one single reference to the contrary, or even a fan page of people who are against handicaps even in the most subtle way, so you're welcome to send some to me by PM since it actually had no relation at all with the OP or how it gets applied. If you want to start a thread about possible PvP hand-in-cap then you're more than welcome to do so I might join in. It would be a good occasion to talk to me about "us" because you seem to have a lot of friends with this interesting opinion.

[...]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.