On the topic of customizing weapons/armor

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Bayien, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bayien

Bayien Avatar

This is a rant and based purely off of an idea I came up with while sitting here. From what I read; people like the idea of customizable weapons; and branding weapons. I was just wondering if-and this is fairly far fetched- people would be completely opposed to different model customizations for custom made blades that would also change the stats. For example; if you wanted a long sword; but one you could swing fast; you may have to sacrifice some durability/stability for speed because of use of a lighter metal. Perhaps that's a bad idea; but it would, undoubtedly be cool to be able to pick from different models based on what your weapon is, even if it didn't change the stats/materials needed.
    I'd like to hear your input, and thanks for reading/replying.

2. Lord_Peregrine

Lord_Peregrine Avatar

I like the idea of choice, but I think we might be stretching things too far if we go to the lengths of changing stats for various models of short swords, etc.

3. Bayien

Bayien Avatar

That makes sense; I guess it could restrict play styles to a small number of weapons. I still like the idea of different models, and having to get different materials for them.

4. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Well its not beyond the relm of possibilities, even in the old Ultima engines you had Glass swords. Very high damage, very low durability naturally :)

Aim high, I think it is a good idea. I think to give crafters that extra dimension, we should be able to "draw" our own symbols or runes onto the weapons. Have a customizable signature feature for recognition.

Taking it all the way to the top, could we have access to edit the 3d mesh of the blade to produce a very highly customized weapon? Obviously within limits, and it may or may not effect how the physics engine interacts with player stats for swinging based on weight or durability based on materials.

5. Lord_Peregrine

Lord_Peregrine Avatar

It all sounds good AvatarAcid except the part about allowing us to produce content. Even if customized weapons used the same physics and stats as a Portalarium produced counterpart, I'd hate to see "fantasy" weapons made.

I like the look of what I've seen so far regarding the weapons of New Britannia. They may have some fantasy aspect when it comes to operation (mechanics some even electronic), but generally they look like something from the dark ages or medieval times. There is nothing fancy regarding their look. If Portalarium tossed this out in place of player modified fantasy fancy/cool looking weapons, I'd be very turned off by the game.

These fantasy/artistic weapons that are so common in MMO/RPG are a big reason why I haven't participated as an adult. I'm talking about weapons that have been given so much more artistic flare than purpose. I've always shunned away from fantasy flare, but I accept the SotA world because I view it as more of a science fiction twist than fantasy flare.

6. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I do agree Lord Peregrine, 100% :) I have no more desire to see a Gunblade in an Ultima game than you do lol. However I do know simple things like that could possibly drag a lot of players into the community. But I too wrestle with the question, do we want them? haha.

I just wan't to re-creatre the Shade Blade :p

7. Lord_Peregrine

Lord_Peregrine Avatar

"I just want to re-creatre the Shade Blade" If I had my way you'd have to settle for a swing blade :D

8. Bayien

Bayien Avatar

Perhaps pre-determent models; where you could (somewhat) customize the color scheme or add features to the blade. For example; you have a axe. You could color it a glossy blue, and add Ice runes which may (or may not) be portrayed on the axe. Then; you could add things to customize the blade; like say wrappings; secondary colors; rune colors, or even tassels or ribbons hanging off the handle with customizable length/color ect, or add holes/designs to the head of the axe, like an insignia or a cut out. Then choose the material of the axe; like say glass. Would increase damage; lower durability, or something harder but blunt; or some kind of mystic material/uberrare that's right in the middle, and based on what the axe is made out of/what runes/attachments, it would slightly change the physics of the axe; but require more of a certain material; like silk or some magic item for the runes/tassels.This could also work for armor; allowing players to choose color and secondary colors for each piece of armor (gloves; helm; shoulder; ect) and allow guilds or towns to be somewhat determined from there armor color. This would give the player freedom to customize and be different; but not complete freedom.

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

This is not outside the possibility of a basic crafting framework I suggested just yesterday.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?topic=craft-system-brainstorm

All you would need to do is add the possibility of accessories (which I had forgotton to mention).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.