ONE QUESTION WHY?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brink1123, Apr 6, 2016.

?

Read pro/cons in first message. Should we use a multiple binding recall system

1. Yes

2. No

3. Yes but with some limitations(post in comments).

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haz

Haz Avatar

I've not played a game that had a regional economy so I can't say how travel affects it with any certainty.

But if I had to guess.....If we are to have a regional economy, then any form of fast travel (from one region to another) would have to be eliminated....passes would have to become unpassable if you carried regional resources so they could not be transported to different regions in their raw configuration. Maybe only a caravan of not less than X number of players carrying the wood, or ore, or whatever, might have the ability to fight their way thru a pass with the resources, and if you die, then the goods you are carrying are gone. It would be the chance you take trying to move a regional raw resource out of that region.

Or.....if fast travel in any form exists, then items from regional raw resource would have to be taxed (when sold outside of that region) by Port and the tax would have to be high enough to cause players to want to make the trip to Y region to either collect their own resources or to buy within the region the resource is from, so as not to have to endure the tax.

It could be only one item out of each region, but it would have to be a main resource.

I believe the above is not going to be a popular idea. But if we are to have regional economies then then some form of restriction of travel and of transporting goods has to be in place......doesn't it?

2. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Definitely.. but that made me think of my ability to store items in any bank.. no need to transport much across barriers if I can just stash crap everywhere (buyers will be around everywhere) without some sort of banking fee....? :confused: I think banks should be regional as well... bank space I mean... :p

Haz likes this.
  3. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

I like these points above, that's my thinking as well. I voted for a single binding point. BUT, there is a problem. People usually look for a shorter way between two points, no matter how much you encourage them to explore, travel, adventure, socialize etc. so if we are limited in where we can bind, there will be a lot of alternative characters in game serving as buddy ports. All you need to do is have multiple people in guild create a second character and place them all across the map. It will be the same as if we've had multi binding options. So I am kinda split between the two, but I did notice myself, thinking often, that if I could have a second binding point in my POT, along with main NPC town, it would be a lot more convenient, and I was thinking about making an alt and placing it in my POT.

I do think though, that Portalarium has a lot more additions planned for a cash store, and items like that may make it to the store sooner or later. LOTRO had a single bind point before as well, now being on F2P, you can pretty much buy anything on the LOTRO store, except in-game equipment and weapons. You can have a lot of bind points as long as you don't mind paying extra. Considering that SOTA relies on cash purchases very heavily, there will be all kinds of bells and whistles in the store, at some point, travel items including.

4. Haz

Haz Avatar

Presently we can only withdraw from the bank we deposit into....correct? Is that changing...did I miss it somewhere??

5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Nope, that is correct, and not changing.. I mean the amount of things I can store.. it is split up per bank of course... so probably not a problem.. just threw it out there as something to look at when thinking regionally... tho the Bank of Novia obviously has nation-wide access I guess. :)

Haz and Leelu like this.
  6. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Exactly.

It's called the price of convenience, and that's what drives most huge market empires in EVE.

You have certain minerals only in certain zones of the space (7500 solar systems total). And these minerals are required to craft stuff. But to craft stuff you need ALSO other certain minerals found only in certain other, distant zones of the space.

You can load the resources in an interceptor: 100 m3 of space, warping at 8 AU/sec, and cross the distance from production/mining zones to trade/build zones in twenty minutes. A tiny ship, mostly immune to interdiction, nimble as a cat, can defend itself and dart away at 425 m/sec (base). In case the goings get tough, it can simply run away - mostly of the time, unless the attacker has a very specific fleet setup, you're safer than any alternative.

Or you can get serious, and load them up in a freighter: 550'000 m3, warping however at 1.37 AU/sec, and cross the same distance in two-three hours. But you're sit in a huge space pinata, weaponless and slow as mud at 65 m/sec. In case you're being targeted by attackers - like in the many suicide runs near trade hubs - you can happily shop for a replacement while your ship is being melted down, along its titanic cargo. (Ah, it takes 90 such freighter trips to ship enough materials to build one titan. Or 450'000 trips with the interceptor...)

And I see you don't follow, but I don't worry about that. ;)

Rufus D`Asperdi and Haz like this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

How much time do you spend collecting the money to pay for them? They're not supposed to be cheap. If you have to spend 30 minutes to buy a scroll to save you a 5 minute walk, what's the ROI?

Haz likes this.
  8. Haz

Haz Avatar

@Fister Magee

Ahhh, ok. We will still be slightly limited as the number of items we have in the bank are what we have combined in all banks. Granted, we can easily purchase more slots and weight but the rest of the stuff would still apply, meaning transfer of items from one region to another could be costly as would items made from those resources sold out of the region. I think, lol.

Fister Magee likes this.
  9. Andrew Silverston

Andrew Silverston Avatar

I can share your enthusiasm, but I have to admin that I used few recall scrolls. Other than that I've enjoyed traveling through overland map, rushing through cntrl points and meeting people on overland map. If I'd just beam everywhere I needed to... I think I'd appreciate the game less.

10. reesian

reesian Avatar

Ok. Convenience isn't the only factor in your equation. The model you used as an example has a PVP aspect that makes walking across a map fun because you have to weigh risk and reward. Take PVP out and all you are doing is WALKING ACROSS A MAP. That may be fun for you, but count me out. If you want to artificially make gathering resources inconvenient, make the gathering times longer or make it riskier with harder PVE elements.

EDIT: If PVP elements were emulated as they are in EVE, I would be on the opposite side of the fence about this.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  11. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

and this is coming from someone who plays pve, not pvp.

12. reesian

reesian Avatar

I'm not against traveling. I want the world to feel like a world. I just don't think that traveling is fun in this game. If traveling isn't a fun part of the game, why reward people to do it with the ability to sell resources for higher prices under convenience? Sure it works, but it's terrible design.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  13. Katrina Bekers

Nope.

NPCs can obliterate you at any step, too. I said nothing about PVP, you inferred it (wrongly, again).

14. Katrina Bekers

Oh, and it's not "a model" - it's hard data I pulled from the live client while I was posting my message.

15. reesian

reesian Avatar

What is the point of going in a slow ship vs a fast ship in EVE when gathering resources?

16. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

doesn't matter, this isn't EVE.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  17. reesian

reesian Avatar

Sure it does. There is a train of thought accompanying the question that fits with the OP. However, I think I'd have a better understanding of medieval Spanish than understanding the points being made, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

18. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

sorry, i think you may misunderstand me. i'm actually in favor of multiple bind points..but i think they should be soft limited, not hard limited.

what i mean by soft limits, read my first post on this thread, here.

and please don't think i'm trying to 'shut you down', your opinions are just as valuable as mine are, here. its WHY we're here, that brings us together. - so do continue your train of thought.

19. Katrina Bekers

That the slow ship can carry 5'500 times as many resources, and then, instead of five thousands quick trips, you can just risk and go for a single, very long one?

Did you read my message?

Did you understand my message?

Thurisaz is right, tho. It's pointless. I only had to debunk your "every game has instant travel" claim. Which is ridiculous per se', but even more thinking of EVE.

20. reesian

reesian Avatar

Did you read my message?

Did you understand my message?

I never said "every game has instant travel." So, not sure where you made that up. But nice try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.