Optimization

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maxan, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maxan

Maxan Avatar

Hello everybody. Is there any way to optimize the game somehow, but at the minimum settings it produces 15-20 fps? I'm playing on an old laptop I7-2630KBM video card gt 540m 2 Gb RAM 12GB. Minimum system requirements listed on the site, like suitable for starting the game.

2. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

You can go to the video settings and turn off any extra lighting, camera effects, and shadows(set to none). Also, try running the game at the lowest resolution possible, if you haven't already. Don't run any other programs while playing the game. These things probably won't make much of a difference, but every little bit helps. Other than that, you are looking at having to upgrade. The video card would be the first thing you would want to upgrade. The devs have said they are working on optimizations, so you could wait to see if they improve performance on target machines. Good Luck!

Mac2 likes this.
  3. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

That's some ancient equipment! Update your system stat. This is not a problem due to Portalarium.

4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

It's hard to "update" an old laptop other than by throwing it out.

Anyhow, #1, it's not released yet. Performance is the last thing they are working on, partly because if they did it earlier, later changes would likely break performance and they'd have to do it again.

But #2, your screen resolution makes a big difference. Having a potato myself (A 17" Dell Latitude from around 2012 or so that I use when not at home), if you are trying to play at 1080 HD resolution, it's gonna hurt, and hard. I have to get out of full-screen mode, make my window smaller, than alt-enter back to full-screen mode. Unfortunately the game does not save the lower resolution, so I have to do that every time. And many of the game windows do not scale well for lower resolution.

Oh, and that Latitude of mine played quite acceptably (15fps being acceptable! You should feel good about getting 15-20fps on an older laptop!) at full HD back in R20-R22, before they added stuff that really hurt the frame rate. Below 10fps, the UI performance goes way down because of how it handles only one UI event per frame.

There are still a lot of performance problems that are made much worse by higher resolution. So far they have been focusing on performance fixes for people with decent graphic cards. Partly because there are a lot more people with them, partly because (yes, Chris has said this) it lets the people who want to stream their playing have enough more performance so that streaming will work well. Hopefully we will see much more improvement over the next three months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.