Option to buy a lot from another player?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hammadowna, Sep 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

So much hostility for an idea that would bring additional funds to the game. Not surprising, I suppose. There are ways to fix any abusive issues that could come with this. I'll mention it to Chris.

2. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Was a thing massively organized and advertized by Port. It's why pledges range from 10k to $50. Your idea just flies in the face of all of it. This game is not about fair (take a look at the lot lottery vs just selling deeds igg on a vendor).

I thought your OP was going to be something about being able to trade a lot securely.

1) purchaser has a deed in inventory and the deeds and ownership of the lot gets swapped.

2) lot including deed and whatever is on the house is traded to the buyer.

Numa, K1000 and Badger3 like this.
  3. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

People that were here first were here first. They have their first pick of land because they made the game happen to begin with. Period. End of story.

There will be new chapters and new lands to claim. Now, whether or not new players coming in accept this...well, that's a different story.

Stundorn, Solazur and 3devious like this.
  4. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

My experience thus far is that there are plenty of great taken spots with owners willing to make a deal. Just make them an offer. During the land rush, everything was so hyped. But the hype has fizzled and now is the time to buy them out before the release. No need for crazy offers either. Would you pay 50-100 for a particular lot? If so, it is probably yours for the asking.

5. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I find it hard to believe no one has realized that this was nothing but a troll post designed entirely to sow dissension and get reactions from people.

Jens_T, Solazur, K1000 and 6 others like this.
  6. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Lol, exactly...:)

K1000 likes this.
  7. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

I find that pretty offensive, honestly. Why would you say that about my thread?

8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

So a few things.....
    - Some people spent silly amounts of money to claims lots first, saying that they may now lose those lots would upset a awful lot of people. It would also harm the credibility of Portalarium going forward.
    - The majority of prime locations will have been claimed with rent-free deeds so there is zero upkeep. Once again, player spent an awful lot of money on rent-free deeds and any change that makes them worthless would undermine the pledge and credibility of Portalarium going forward.
    - People are already noisy about P2W, introduce this feature really would make it P2W. Why implement a feature to make the game more unpopular.
    - If someone wants to buy a lot location, all they have to do is approach the owner.........it's a marketplace.

I'm sure you are aware of the issues it would cause, so yeah, i'm with @Bubonic ........I see it as nothing more than a troll thread. Be offended if you wish :p

Solazur, K1000, 3devious and 6 others like this.
  9. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

I'm not sure why you'd have to contact the owner at all - port are the true owner of all these lots. I'm more interested in helping Port getting more funding than lining the pockets of some other player, is all. Port needs our help and we should try to think along those lines more if we want the game to be a success.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if you're just trying to troll me.

10. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Technically correct in line with ToS......however I very much doubt Portalarium would want to essentially expropriate property from players............what sort of people would want to do such a thing?

Port will secure funding by completing and launching a game that is good......Port wont secure funds by disenfranchising the existing player base.
    The emphasis should be on completing a story and feature rich game.

Not on this occasion

Anyway i'm done with this thread, I given my tuppenceworth.........afterall a donkey would never understand a frog anyway.

11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Come on, the OPer has been around long enough that all the old posters know what is up. Plus there has to be equality between positive posters and negative ones. If a positive poster criticizes a negative one, all hell breaks loose. But if a negative poster criticizes a positive one, it's ok. It is a terrible double standard.

When I read the OP idea, I thought it favors the rich. But when I wanted to say that based on its merit, I saw the poster being accused of trolling by people I have long respected. So I did not argue the point, and instead felt bad for þhe thread creator.

Think what you want. But this is the best gaming community I have ever belonged to. The participants change and so does the atmosphere. But I still believe in everyone. Let's try to stay respectful above all things, less we become aholes like the government whom cannot see the forest for the trees.

12. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Maybe it's time we get a post of the year award going? This one sure is my top 10 ;)

Solazur, K1000, 3devious and 2 others like this.
  13. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

Glad to finally have some support! Appreciate it.

14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Perhaps, instead of from players who have already placed lots, bidding on empty lots to obtain a deed exclusivly for that lot. Because there are a tooooon of empty lots. And also alot of people not placign lot deeds they have.

idaniod likes this.
  15. jfoytek

jfoytek Avatar

This is the type of thinking that has gotten Port into the situation that it is in!

You believe you have found a way to make money and you havent considered the end results of your idea to make money for Port....

There is only one way a game should really make money!!! ***Here is the super ultimate secret recipe***
    MAKE IT SO FUN AND FULL OF CONTENT THAT YOU DON'T WANT TO SPEND ANY TIME PLAYING ANYTHING ELSE.... (This was the super secret recipe of Ultima Online)
    ^^^^ This was the reason that people buy and sold virtual items on Ebay.... Because the game was amazingly FUN....

Idea's like yours above create nothing more then griefing other MMO's have tried that and it has always turned into the same thing.... One "Group" Works and saves there coin so they can evict another "Group" Who doesnt work as hard and cannot out bid them.....

It turns into housing for the Most Active Playerbase and then they only get there house for like a month until the next bidding cycle where another big group has been saving for 3 months to take away "their house" because they dont like them....

All a game really needs to make lots of money is to be FUN.... This is the secret recipe to make money... And Newsflash the more you try to make money in a game that is Lacking in content and not fully developed the LESS FUN you make it...
    Vicious cycle.... you have to balance the Creation of Fun with the creation of money and in my opinion Port has done a terrible job with that as they create far more content for the purpose of creating money which distracts from the fun of the game!

Stundorn, Gorthyn, Net and 1 other person like this.
  16. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

But the game is very fun. I don't understand what you're trying to get at.

17. jfoytek

jfoytek Avatar

Deed prices are far to expensive for the average gamer, so we have to scrape bye in the game to save up 3 * Times the value of the house in (Ingame Gold) and in the process of saving up to buy our own house with in game gold we discover that
    The elysium Jail cell, is repetative, dull and boring.... Mid way thru our grind to aquire the money to buy our own in game deed we end up having of of the many "Great community" folks in game who are willing to give away large chunks of housing in game for free, from entire levels of a Keep basement to small rooms inside of player inn's their is no lack of free housing which then just add's to the whole issue of why am I saving up all my ingame cash for my own house that I can't afford to buy in real life....

For a game that Hasnt actually hooked me the way UO or SWG did... is lacking in quality content, whose taming system is less then UO, whose fishing is less then UO, whose agriculture is horribly tedious whose anything really aside from combat has had very little time or effort put on it.... The game is just grindy leveling of combat and crafting both systems are equally grindy....

And ultimately the game is hugely lacking in the intangiable's the other activitys a game world needs..... the NON combat stuff...

So ultimately My point is this!!!

If you make the game fun!!! You can sell deeds at more realistic prices like $40 dollars for a Row $60 dollars for a Town and you will make FAR more money and have a larger more healthy playerbase! But right now the playerbase is a very small group of people who can afford to toss a stupid amount of real life money at a game, and yes thats also the reason the small game community is so "Nice" because its filled with the part of society that has money to give, thus in game they are just as charitable...

But Most gamers are not ^^^^^ Those people most gamers are the guys in there parent's basement who can't hold down a job because they stay up all night gaming or wont work because it takes time away from there game.... And no matter if you like it or not its this market you have to tap into if you really want to make money and really want to have a healthy player base....

Stundorn and K1000 like this.
  18. jfoytek

jfoytek Avatar

The game is fun for about 500 hours!

UO was fun for 7 years
    SWG was fun for almost 2 years

500 Hours is barely 3 months....

This is the problem of a game that is designed around a storyline and questing and not focused around the END GAME content.... A sandbox must be focused around "End Game content"
    So the game is always fun no matter how much time you put into it..... when you focus on the single player RPG aspect then whats left when you finish the story?!? This game is a beautiful hand crafted environment with so much potential.
    But its potential it wont reach because
    A) The sandbox population is too low
    B) The end game content is second fiddle to scenes and storyline conent
    C) The pricing of items like Deeds Housing and Tax free vendors is far too high to allow the majority of your market to take place which only help enforce that you dont have a healthy population...

19. Numa

Numa Avatar

I know that Albion Online has this lot bidding thing with some mechanisms in place to balance the odds for the current owner. But breaking the promises Port made re:landrush would cause them to lose much more money than they'd hope to gain by this move. More importantly the trust between backers and Port would be irretrievably broken.

@Sempiternal Dragon , I know you made the post honestly and with the best of intentions but what you're suggesting simply won't happen.

20. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

so ... you realize of course that people already did the ponying...they paid their real cash... cash which could have done other things.. even boring stuff like earned interest for the last 4 years...

seriously.. I was hoping the OP was a joke too ...

smh

K1000 and Stundorn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.