OT - a soliloquy on life and the Ultimas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Asclepius, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

Please indulge the ramblings of a senior Ultima fan. As I have played the Ultima games I see many parallels to life itself, which can be very rewarding if diligently applied. This of course applies to the "ideal" life - not everyone is that fortunate - but follow along and I hope you get my meaning.

You start off pretty small, weak and poor. (Your first job is pretty pathetic and low paying)
    You can't slay dragons straight away - they will kill you! (Big purchases are out of the question)
    A LOT of hard work is required to get anywhere (sort of self-explanatory)
    You will never solve the puzzle unless you look in every corner of every dungeon (persistence, curiosity and application will ensure success)
    You meet many people along the way. Most are kind; some are monsters. Monsters have to be dealt with firmly, but in the words of Richard Garriott, the world will basically treat you as you treat it. Virtue is its own reward, and karma is real.
    There is immense satisfaction in even a small achievement (be it a level advancement, slaying a larger monster, job advancement, first new car etc etc)
    Gradually you become more powerful and richer.
    Finally you are an uberpowerful Avatar, slaying dragons and gargoyles with one stroke and with gazillions of gold in your chest. (Or, at the peak of your career/retired, home paid for, kids moved out, superannuation fund bulging, taking overseas trips at will...)

The only slightly sobering thought about all this is that the next thing, in a standalone game AND in life, is GAME OVER!!:eek:

So enjoy the journey. Take joy from each day and don't wish for the next one to come too quickly. There is so much in the Ultima games (and in life); savour every moment.

One thing that I look forward to in SoTA is that there may NOT be a GAME OVER.....

monkeysmack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.