Overland MAP POT

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Greyfox, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I hesitate to write this message, but believe the information should be available.

While currently overland POT access is limited to those willing to resell, unfortunately at a substantial premium to their fellow gamers, Episode 2 will provide new opportunities to obtain overland access.

My recommendation is not to pay a premium to a reseller now, unless very little over the official store price. Rather spend the extra on a larger POT, for now limited to attaching to an NPC town or another Player town. Then with Episode 2 you will be on a wait list for over land access.

Sorry but the mark up I see for overland POT sales is comparable to price gouging ice after a hurricane.

If you can't wait, feel free, but personally I would rather fund the game than fund a price gouging community member.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  2. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

I disagree..Port Phoenix does NOT sell access! Nor will THe Owners sell it at a later date!

mbomber likes this.
  3. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I believe the OP is referring to certain community members who have PoTs for sale at a high markup. This is not a matter of selling access to your PoT, but a matter of outright selling a PoT with overland map access far above what the PoT actually cost in the first place.

4. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Yes Wyldemane, you are correct.

My reason for posting is simple to notify the community they are not stuck never being able to buy a POT without overland access. They will just have to wait a bit for Episode 2 to have another opportunity.

If unwilling to wait, paying an outrageous markup to another player is the only option. I would recommend buying a POT now without overland and waiting.

Melissa and Duchess Wyldemane like this.
  5. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Bottom line is folks have a right to sell them at whatever the market will bear. This is not new. Royal Founder and Founder accounts have already been sold at markups.

6. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I don't disagree they absolutely have a right. The difference is RF and Founder packages will never be sold or available again, except aftermarket. Overland POT access will be available for sale again and probably in better locations since MMO gamers tend to gravitate towards newer zones.

Melissa likes this.
  7. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Prices of POT's have increased, I have NO doubt they will increase even more for future episodes. But that's not written in stone nor is even making E2 depending how E1 is received after release. So IMHO it's all a gamble.

BTW I have no horse in this race, my accounts and town will never get sold. Hell I still have the same two UO accounts since it opened Sept of 97. And still paying ;)

8. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I agree that people have the right to sell things for whatever they determine. But I think the OP brings up some good points that should be considered before buying at inflated prices.

mbomber, Stahlknecht and Melissa like this.
  9. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

If E2 isn't made even more a reason not to buy a POT, especially at a markup. I believe best to spend the money on a larger PoT, not on profiteering.

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  10. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Just droping by to point out that this information is in NO WAY validated.
    It might be this way, it might be not.
    Maybe release 2 will have flying citys. Or swimming. For all we know, there might be no citys at all.

12. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

It may not be validated, it may not be written in stone, but it is food for thought.

mbomber and Melissa like this.
  13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

I am sorry but.....it's not.
    I am not going as far as saying it's common knowledge but i am quite certain that people that are considering sinking at least 1000 bucks into a POT will inform themselves before they do so.
    If they don't....oh well, then this post won't help them either.

14. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

My last note on this subject (which has had numerous discussions in the past) the RF sale markups were considerably higher than the POT markup. Unless my math is wrong (possible).
    Markup being talked about in percentage of increase over cost.

So in your words it's ok to markup an item that is "rare" to "extremes", but not something that can possibly purchased later?

Melissa and Atogrim like this.
  15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Ah that's not the point.
    The point is that this post should be named "I don't like premium resellers."
    He has all right to do so!
    But, please, don't post in a bad disguise as "i am here to warn you all about the evil people out there".
    Mind you, i am no reseller at all, and i am annoyed by it anyway.

16. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I'm sure that players who have a wallet large enough to buy PoTs are fully aware in their own mind of what seems a reasonable markup for map access. In my mind a reasonable markup would be something like the equivalent current price of a PoT + around 25%.

Ultimately the market will find it's own price.

EDIT:
    I also don't believe any threads like this should have any place in the marketplace. The marketplace is really for buyers and sellers........not protesters.

mbomber, Stahlknecht, Melissa and 3 others like this.
  17. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I thought Greyfox had a fair point. Buying an overland POT at current prices can be considered unattractive as it is likely that more POTs will be releaased in Ep 2. The new landmass will likely be popular because that's just how MMOs tend to work. The caveat is that we won't know what the price of POTs will be then (I suspect they will be at least the same as current prices, if not higher). I already an overland POT and I have to admit that I wouldn't be in a rush to buy one now (obviously I might feel different if I didn't have one).

I don't think this post causes any real harm since the market will determine prices. If people want to buy / sell an overland POT then they will do that. Admittedly this post is probably more fitting with the POT sub-forum than the market place.

18. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

My purpose for this thread amounts to little more than trying to inform fellow Shroud players. I hesitated posting because some sellers don't want full disclosure and I didn't want to cause an uproar.

Personally I dislike people profiteering with real money. We have hundred page threads on immersion breaking gaming elements.

This thread is in sales because this is where people will come to buy and sell and this information is most certainly important to prospective buyers.

So in closing, full disclosure and informed buyers are a positive for the game and for all involved.

Unless Shroud is a total failure, highly unlikely, overland pots will be for sale again to the community with likely game gold and current POT owners are on a wait list for those POTS if they choose overland.

Personally I feel anythin more than 10% markup is profiteering. But I am not a decision maker, just buyer beware.

19. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Personal feelings aside, the entire system was designed to accommodate exactly what you're describing. People can and will sell items for more than they paid, and most likely as much as they can get away with. Like the real world, its up to the buyer to be informed and make the best decision for them.

At the end of the day, if someone ends up paying way too much for something simply because they didn't do the research... well, too bad for them.

Disclaimer: No, I'm not selling anything.

EDIT: And yes, I also think this thread is in the incorrect forum.

20. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I've got no stake in it, but I'm only aware of one POT in the marketplace, it's either a $1450 Hamlet ($550 markup) or a 1200ish Hamlet pre-increase and an $800 markup. I can't help chiming in when I see the word math :p

I've never seen a $550 or $800 markup for RF/F status (yet!).

Speculation on whether Episode 2 will give existing POT's the ability to migrate to a new continent and be granted overland map access doesn't seem like a marketplace type thread to me either.

Comments on the validity of after-market pricing though would be valid in this forum as most detailed posts about reselling wouldn't be welcome in other forums.

Though I do think it is important to disclose the purchase price of your POT's when selling them :)

Melissa and Duchess Wyldemane like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.