Overland POT Graphics Improvements

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Beaumaris, Nov 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

As a primary interface to gameplay, the Novia overland map would benefit from more love.

My top item: Improve the overland player-owned town (POT) graphics.

Two steps to achieve that:

1. Adjust the overland POT indicator graphic to be appropriate for its regional lore. Or let us choose it.

Today, overland POT graphics are 'vanilla'. They portray the same aesthetic regardless of the dominant lore for the region in which they are located. Going by the architecture, its as if the peoples of Brittany have settled everywhere. As a result, the game misses an opportunity for 'regional differentiation'. Regional differentiation could be improved if POT graphics used the theme for the region in which they are located. For example, if the POT is in a Norgard dominated region, use a Norgard themed graphic as the default. Since not everyone will like that, consider a regional default and also a player option to change it.

2. Do away with the 'vacant pad' graphic for less populated POTs.

Wow! Does this ever need to change. Many POTs are less populated and the vacant pad graphic associated with these at best looks like ... incomplete art. These POTs were expensive for their owners to purchase in game, and they deserve to be honored with better overland map art regardless of their population. And it would make the game world look better too. Doing away with the vacant town pads would be a great starting point. But, again, the game may be missing an opportunity by using the graphics we have. Why not give us better town graphics that plays up POTs as real landmarks to visit.

I understand this is about priorities. And there are a lot of priorities. But we have a fun raising effort each month for art work for trinkets that largely just go into people's inventories. By comparison, the art above we see all the time. It would be great to see some dollars get redeployed to the Novian overworld.

Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Xee, Alley Oop and that_shawn_guy like this.
  2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

good ideas.

from a technical perspective, i would think it wouldn't take too much work to add a list of all house models to the governor list so we could pick one for the overland. the "vacant" towns could replace the vacant look with a default row house.

of course that does mean the overland map has to become a little more dynamic and the devotional light and population smoke have to be adjusted. we'd also lose any "size" indication. but, i think that's a small price to pay for customization.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.