Owning vs public crafting stations

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by fedwook, Nov 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fedwook

fedwook Avatar

I am curious as to what the advantages to owning our own stations would be. I think I read that they will be the second biggest expense in game after housing.
    Any ideas?
    Fedaykinwook

2. smack

smack Avatar

We don't know what the individual prices are of the crafting stations and we haven't seen any indication that they'll show up in the Add On Store. But that could be likely.

However, at certain pledge levels you are rewarded with an expert crafting station to decorate your home with. It's unknown what the availability are of those expert stations in the public areas. There may be many, only a few, or even none. We don't know so everything is speculation, but one would think there wouldn't be that many at public crafting areas.

skinned and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  3. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Advantages of owning an expert crafting station:

1. Potential to craft higher quality items (see smack's post above).

2. Avoid long lines at public crafting stations (depending on location).

3. Convenience. If you need more of a certain raw material, you can simply leave the rest of the components there and run out and get some more. With public crafting stations, you have to have all of the raw materials in your personal inventory (which could be difficult if you have a limited number of slots).

Jambo, skinned and smack like this.
  4. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well that's one of the things I was wondering. In a interview I think it was Darkstarr who said the best machines would be publicly available.
    Basically it was said some time the advantage of the founder expert benches was that it was expensive to upgrade a normal bench to expert. Something about maintenance as well.

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'd really like to see crafting stations show up in the add-on store. I think a fair price would be 1/4 of a village home (or $25) for the first tier crafting.

Kirthag and derek6665 (Baldrith) like this.
  6. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

I dont mind anything appearing in the add-store for backers of the game if they prefer to buy with real money. When the game goes live I dont want anything appearing in an add-store that can be created by Crafting I prefer to work for what I get if I cant make I would pay a Crafter for it. The add-store should be left for other things that are decorative and dont throw the game economics.

This is SotA not IkeA

these may be some ok add-on types:
    Cornucopia from Add-Store
    Fancy Paintings
    Furry pets
    Statues

Furious Farmer and TEK like this.
  7. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

I agree, I believe that Portalarium is walking a fine line with the items being sold that can be crafted. I hope that generally what is for sale is mainly "newbish" items that is more a decorative beginner items to raise funds for SotA which I am happy to purchase. I really don't want them to bypass items that a highly skilled crafter should only be able to create. It is important that those players are empowered with that creation and in great demand.

8. Ara

Ara Avatar

What sort of higher quality items?

Weapon and armor?

9. Gabriel Nightshadow

All items. The way I understand it, the quality of the item produced is apparently dependent on both your crafting skill and the "skill level" (for lack of a better term) of the crafting station itself. The reason I said potentially is because even if you have an expert level crafting station, the quality of the item produced could still be low due to your really poor crafting skill.

Jambo likes this.
  10. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

I understood that crafting station "level" determines the amount of ingredients/parts you can place in it to craft. Expert being 10 or so. I dont believe it effects the actual quality it self at all, it just makes creating more complex items possible. Quality of the item comes from characer skill (crafting skill + quality), tool quality and possibly quality of materials (but I think the material part is enabler only, enabling you to produce beter tier items)

EDIT: having one at home is convinience, as you have all the stuff in your home and dont have to do walking (craft station -> bank -> station). I dont think theres much more difference. Lastly it was hinted that highest craft stations are located in wilderness (think heart of volcano for epic smithing station)

licemeat and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  11. Gabriel Nightshadow

OK, maybe I misunderstood that? I did forget to mention tool quality. Is there a specific post or video from the developers you can direct me to clarify this? Thanks :)

Jambo likes this.
  12. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Old post from Chris, here you go.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...rare-crafted-items-please.21/page-3#post-1535

EDIT: And now that I read it again, expert station that comes with sertain pledge lvl is not 10, but probably 9 items. 10 being the top notch - at that time. Subject to change.

EDIT2: since that post things like sword molds have been added.

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  13. Gabriel Nightshadow

I definitely missed that post from Chris in June. Thank you for the information :)

Jambo likes this.
  14. smack

smack Avatar

From his post back in June, he said:

15. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I was wondering if benefactors also get the expert crafting station...I do not see it on the list...

16. Rampage202

Rampage202 Avatar

The Expert level crafting station is for founders at the Knight level and above, so no, benefactors will have to work up to an expert crafting station in-game.

17. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

drag city...hopefully they are not next to impossible to aquire. I want every station in my house.

18. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

In this game if you have lots of $$ it seems you dont actually need to be able to do anything just click to buy, they may even add a craftsman BOT in store that does all your carfting for you. You can just sit on the Porch of your Big housee for 8 hours a day like any CEO living in a fantasy world.

19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I look at things optimisticly. The game has much to develop yet and has not even reached Alpha. Why in the world are people worried about the backers getting a few perks pre-Alpha launch. Its an incentive to donate. Without these backers this game would not even be possible. I feel like I need the ability to hand out virtual Kleenex's and give many people a hug. If a person donates $550+ doward the development of this game because he loves the idea and the premise, I don't think they are land grabbing. These are the people that care about the game and prob will be helping, friending, and letting the people use these crafting stations. Its not like you will won't be able eventually to get your own player made crafting station. Why all the hate over people that love the game. Its Pre Alpha, relax.

20. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Im not worried about the backers geting a few Perks, Its if thats the way the game is going to be released and then backers that didnt have the cash to splash will lose out.
    Perks are fine but wanting to own multi Plots is detrimental to the majority of Backers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.