Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

P on your "justice"

Discussion in 'Release 44 Feedback Forum' started by Quenton, Aug 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

Last night, I'd been "caught" while opening an NPCs cupboards trying to take his 10 scraps of fabric. A justicar appeared and said I'd been fined for my misdeed, and I thought, oops, wow okay. I thought I'd say get tested to talk my way out of the fine or pay it, but it had automatically been paid. Okay, that's what I wanted to do anyway, I guess.

Except then I open my backpack and the roughly 8000 gold I used to have is now about 1000 gold. What the!

At the moment the only way I've been able to get that much gold is to visit oracle shrines once a day, so this has taken quite a long time for me to amass.

But let's assume that income is easy to come by and I'm doing it wrong. Does the justicar take a set amount of gold, or does he really take ~80% of your earnings? That's insane!

(the subject line is a reference to Raven in U9; I censored it a little)

2. Scrambler

Scrambler Developer Emeritus

3. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Wow! That's a steep penalty for paupers lifting a few goods, considering that it takes a casual player two solid solo grinding runs to make that much gold. What's next, witch hunting for casting a spell in town? The NPC might as well kill us on sight and take the XP decay instead. Seriously though, I get the virtue element. Moral of the story - Don't get caught stealing next time!

4. Woftam

Woftam Avatar

I was only inspecting the item officer!

zyxe likes this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

@Scrambler
    The double-click method of taking items needs to go away. Taking items should only occur if I explicitly drag it to my inventory. It's too easy to accidentally double click an item instead of an NPC.

6. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Once, a few months ago, I was trying to select the fishmonger in Kingsport and managed to take a fish from his stall that was in front of him. It would be nice if it wasn't so easy to take something by accident.

7. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I know about this change, but I lost almost all of my money for a single theft.

I am hard pressed to log back in again.

This is worse than the punishment for dying in UO. You can't bank what you lose here.

8. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

@Scrambler Whats the point to have interactivity with environement ( >> beeing able to grab it) with such punishments ??

Tiina Onir and zyxe like this.
  9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Broken...

back to drawing board...

10. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

This is why you buy things or exchange gold for COTO's. You CAN bank your gold, you just have to be smart about it!

11. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

Sorry, but IMO this is absolutely ridiculous, especially with the reports that you don't even have to be seen stealing to get "caught". Sure, the oracle can "know" that you've been stealing, but where's the finesse--where's the choice?

I'm starting to think the game is trying to see how much punishment players will take before throwing in the towel. And I'm only half joking about that.

Pebbles, Quenton and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  12. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

If I have 0 gold.. what happens when I theft more than I can pay for? I suppose if it makes me pay nothing (because I have nothing) then the thieving system is completely broken/useless as I can then steal all I want, and maybe give all my items away like Robin Hood!

13. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

If you dont have enough money, you suffer decay.

Scrambler likes this.
  14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yeah I thought about it... that seems like an option, or to transfer your gold to another player I guess. But then again it punishes the single player, lone wolf types :/

15. Scrambler

Hey all, I was out last week, so I didn't get caught up on the thread until now.

We've too have had concerns about 'accidental theft' and some quick ideas of minimizing unintentional theft.

I personally think the fine is steep. I'll voice the concerns to those that make that decision. Since this is the first release with a penalty, I can see us balancing this a bit.

Numa, Gurney2, Ahuaeynjgkxs and 4 others like this.
  16. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

Is there any talk of the possibility of redacting old fines?

That money was a little over 2 weeks of logging in; I can't make money any other way. Others must be in the same boat. I'd just been trying to ramp up how often I play, and this put a hard stop on that.

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The biggest issue for me is being able to take an item by double clicking on it. It's far too easy to accidentally double click an item in front of the merchant instead of the merchant.

Elwyn likes this.
  18. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Or even worse, the ever-useful E key that gets used for everything. That's what happened in the case I mentioned above, the fishmonger in Kingsport has fish hanging from the front of his stall, right in front of the NPC, point the cursor on front of the guy and press E and suddenly I have not just a fish, but one I can't even use (the "deco" bluefish). I was just going to use him to sell some junk anyhow. It's just too easy to pick up random deco from NPC shops, much of which isn't even worth the effort to steal it.

Barugon likes this.
  19. Scrambler

In this next release it appears as if we added a tool-tip for the item that says "Private" in red when you mouse over. I'm not certain how it works completely or if there are other things planned for this, maybe @wizardsmoke can shine some light on this and maybe think about the 'E' key.

20. Scrambler

You do have to be seen by an NPC to get caught... that's how it works, it's the actual trigger.

zyxe and Elwyn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.