Passes are a bad game mechanic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oyjord Hansen, Mar 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

Me personally i like a challenge.
    Passes are not the only way to travel, there are optios, yes moongate can take some time but so does running the way
    Reduce teleportaion someway (so it is convient to join a raid but something you do not use x times a day)

Consider, should it be just an step away to cross an whoile frigging continent to buy an single item or should it be someway of an challenge?

Yes loading screens are highly annoying, I dearly hope they reduce load time to maybe 30 seconds, I could live with that.

No i am not here for "easy", but the challenge should be in going places, not enduring load screens....

Numa likes this.
  2. Numa

Numa Avatar

How times have changed. There used to be a time we would patiently wait for an hour or half an hour for a major mob in the dungeon to respawn.

Now it's 12 minutes - I blame it all on smartphones, social media, and the ubiquitous internet which most of time means you don't have to wait for anything at all :)

Cordelayne likes this.
  3. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

the lost art of patience... but i rather do something instead sitting on my butt and wait, and i guess the most gripe about passes is the long load time, not the actual pass, same with road encounters, i avoid them if i am not farming gold, for the load time, same with towns, if i do not have to i do not go into towns for..long load time

Numa likes this.
  4. Riggalonius

Riggalonius Avatar

It's not that hard to just run through the passes. I ported around by accident and ended up on the other side of Superstition Canyon or whatever near Resolute, having started only a couple days ago. All I did was sprint through and barely took any damage. Don't sprint the whole way, just when enemies are getting too close, or you gotta zoom through a group before they can get at you.

5. Tulmar the Barbarian

Tulmar the Barbarian Avatar

I am quite a new player.
    I like difficulties and I feel better in a world in which you have to survive.

Regarding the Pass I have a question:
    I saw that most of them could be controlled.. but what mean exactly? And how I can control it? And why a player should do it?

Thanks for clarifications

Numa likes this.
  6. Nocturno Culto

Nocturno Culto Avatar

I liked them. You can't run around freely as a "noob" and need to use the lunar rifts. You learn the map and the system with the rifts very well. There are always things that are not "necessary". But I think that's making the games more interesting and not that easy, because you don't get everything so easly.

But after 1 Week of launch im strong enough to surpass the lvl 5 tiers. Sure, I played a lot I think. After 2-3 Weeks it should be possible for everyone.

Alley Oop likes this.
  7. Lakmir84

Lakmir84 Avatar

I do not want to reach the End Game in one week!
    In my opinion it is good to face many difficulties to unlock new zones :). This is also a good opportunity to group with friends to face dangerous areas

8. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

hi everyone

there is a 3 tier pass and a 2 tier pass to navigate between Brittany and the south paldis region and there is a low span rate in Eastreach gap to navigate through. so it might be a challenge but not impossible for players to navigate through the map.
    I have found the 5 tier zones to be great places for training my charters up.
    and don't forget your friend's list and the moon gate.

Tulmar the Barbarian likes this.
  9. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I just add people to my rune list, er, friends list, and use teleport scrolls as often as possible

10. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

The passes (with the exception of Nightshade Pass) are control points http://sotawiki.net/sota/Control_Points that contain a flat area with an enemy banner that is lit up red, meaning that it is controlled by enemy mobs. If you walk on that area, I believe it turns green (it has been over a year since I walked on one) and you are attacked by a wave of mobs that try to regain the control point. Once you have defeated the first wave of mobs, ever more difficult waves follow. They are good spots for parties to fight together to defeat the mobs. Why should you do it? You get XP and loot and the satisfaction of being a hero, I guess.

If you cross an easy pass like Eastreach Gap and such a battle is going on, good luck :eek:

Tulmar the Barbarian, Numa and Spoon like this.
  11. Tulmar the Barbarian

Tulmar the Barbarian Avatar

OH MY!!! That’s amazing!!! Thank you for the explanation.

Sorry for the small OT.

Kara Brae likes this.
  12. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

Just FYI on Vauban Pass, with a little bit of work you can climb up the rocks on the left side (before you get to the buildings with the skels) and go straight over the top of the Control Point. Have to dodge a few corpions and wolves on the way, but you don't have to deal with the skels.

Numa likes this.
  13. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I see that! Man... I was having trouble getting through Vauban, but up there, where the two "fingers" almost touch on the far West part of the map, you can definitely climb on through. Thanks so much.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Senjut likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.