Patch updater is downloading the whole game each update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shrinkwrap, Mar 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shrinkwrap

shrinkwrap Avatar

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section! Or, if this has been covered before. I searched a number of keywords then decided to post.

For the last few updates, both large and small, my patch updater wants to download the entire game. Is there a fix for this, perhaps a text file I can adjust?

I do use utorrent to make the downloads go faster. Dunno if this is any problem at all.

Thank you for your help.

2. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

They do that when the diff patch(es) would be as large or almost as large as the whole thing. It also installs a lot faster than a diff patch. They have also sometimes invalided older 0-### patches in the same release, so you can't even always rely on saving all your old files for a fresh install to another computer, or after a patch process gets interrupted.

You can expect more of this to happen as they continue to make major changes to systems and even the organization of data before release, and probably even after.

It also allows them to clean up a bunch of old patch files off of the patch server.

http://patchserver.shroudoftheavatar.com/sotalive/torrents/SotATorrentFeed.xml

3. Knightwolf

Knightwolf Avatar

This is nothing,Try downloading a patch from Star Citizen-plus 30gb each release. Granted their live patch releases are more like every month or 2.

4. NZguzzi

NZguzzi Avatar

My house lights flicker every time ;)

5. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

This release was a "fresh" download because they were upgrading to Unity 5.5. Also, there was some major memory cap improvements included too. When doing major improvements like this, they usually require a fresh new install to ensure all of the related files are replaced properly.

Typically, new releases don't require a full install from scratch and we get what you would consider a "patch" that is a much smaller download.

6. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

The other thing I found out is with Steam version if you switch between friend vs world it will re-download a different version each time.... mind you I have not tested lately and only did that twice as it was painful :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.