Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Performance

Discussion in 'Release 45 Feedback Forum' started by Apas Skitara, Sep 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gix

Gix Avatar

I'm more inclined to believe that processes don't automatically go on the other threads unless explicitly told to do so and multi-threaded programming is a really hard thing to do in video games as you want most things to process in order.

From my experience with Unity, I know that my project will spread a few coroutines (or a few triggers like collision detection) across a few threads but the vast majority will stay on the one core. Now, I'm on a Mac so there might be a difference in how the threads are handled.

For those curious, I tried to showcase and compared SotA to ESO when the CPU load was "similar" from one another in different scenarios. This is on a Quad-Core:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What you might notice is that the threads are busy even when I'm hardly doing anything in SotA (compared to what I'm doing in ESO to get similar CPU loads)... that's most likely because the game's busy running custom-made occlusion culling scripts (as they can't use traditional solutions due to the nature of the game).

I can be completely wrong on this but I don't believe RPCs can be sent and received on different threads than the main one... meaning that most data coming from the server might all stack on the same thread. Theoretically speaking, the same could be said about read/write on a hard-drive... so if you're reading from the drive while playing to load a decoration, it might also happen on the main thread.

I'm just speculating at this point. Once they optimize their code, everything will be streamlined and will be much easier on the CPU.

2. scroda

scroda Empyrean Enforcer

The display isn't realtime, it is averaged out of a certain window of time(perhaps even half a second). If it were realtime you'd be unable to read it. The kernel moves threads from cpu core to cpu core. On my machine there seem to be a couple threads in sota that use 100% of the cpu they are on while my gpu is around 12%.

For video games, in this age, it seems you still need performance per core, not many cores. Many cores are more for servers where hundreds or thousands of threads are opened and closed in a relatively short amount of time.

I wish we could have some real anti-aliasing so that I could utilize my gpu

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Gix and Barugon like this.
  3. scroda

scroda Empyrean Enforcer

@Chris pls give to us real anti-aliasing and optimized cpu utilization soon :)

wuv u long time

liz_the_wiz and Trihugger like this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes, that would be awesome!

scroda likes this.
  5. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

interestinbg @Barugon opengl seemed to stop the cpu spikes - it was a limited test (sadly I fell asleep) so it wasnt a hugely long test

Barugon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.