Perma-Death option, yea or nay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BillRoy, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

You won't have to because it would be an option, as in you don't have to do it. Also names, personas and personal histories generaly mean nothing in HC mode to the people who play a game this way. It's about one nameless character and how far they can go, not what thier back storie and motivation are.

2. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

As for your first statment, most of us have spent quite a bit on this game and many things are being used to waste coding time/space, what's the difference between this and anything else?
    Masochist, maybe? But you disn't read or wish to absorb the reasoning behind having a different mode, and you also didn't get the fact that it wouldn't be forced on you.
    And you can loot my corpse when I dieand have all my stuff, find me in the single-player mode.;)

As for #2, Allowing you to create defective items that you are just going to recycle or sell to NPCs for pocket change could be considered a waste of coding/space by some. But I would never begrudge you that, I'm fully in support of you having fun and enjoying this game in the way you'd like to.

3. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Just wanted to clarify, I'm not opposed to this as an optional feature. I'm not even entirely opposed to it myself. I love the concept because of the "realism". But if my character died, it'd be hard for me to personaly continue. I'd probably want the computer to just assign me a character to work with as I don't find myself terribly creative. :)

SmokerKGB and BillRoy like this.
  4. TigerKhan

TigerKhan Avatar

I would not want to start from scratch all the time in a rpg game because like mentioned by others on this post, I don't want to start a new character and think of new names all the time..... it's not that kind of game in my opinion.... I want to grow in the game, otherwise if I have to recreate a character all the time I am going to get frustrated and bored... I don't want that from this game, I want to keep moving forward not backward. If I die and lose what I have in my backpack, fine! I will ressurect and get more stuff in my storage or go get more items from somewhere, but I don't want to lose my skills that I worked hard on.

But as I said in my last post on here, if there is an option to choose the path of perma-death, than those who choose to that is their choice and it is fine for them.... That is what is great about this kind of game, choices....

SmokerKGB and BillRoy like this.
  5. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

@BillRoy, Hey, I guess your right, if there is so much extra space for coding, then we should have an "option" for perma Death, in fact I suggest a whole menu of options like: No Looting of my corpse, my corpse never decays(in fact there is no corpse at all), Perma Death, etc, in fact we could have a split menu, some items are for combat, some for crafting (I want an even odds button or a slidder that I can choose easy to hard odds), some for resource gathering, there can be a simple check box next to each item of options, when I hunt for ore, I want to see the vein in the mountain, uncheck the box and I no longer can see the vein, things like that and I'm not talking for "single player-offline" only (whats the point your offline), I'm talking standerd options for across the board.

I watched the video of Markee Dragon chatting of PvP and they have the impression that the "slidder" that Mr RG is talking about will be movable at will, I don't believe that is what's coming, I beleive at chr creation you will be able to choose, but after that it's set for life, which I agree with. Delete your chr and start a new life, simple.

So I change my vote to: Yay, BillRoy "Power to the Players"

6. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

Permadeath...as an option? Sure, have at it.

Me personally? Absolutely NAY.

I still remember when UO first began. Death was brutal. Die and lose your gear. Lag...lose your gear. Get stuck in a rock, eaten by a bear...lose your gear. Lag some more...lose your gear. As you can tell, those old UO days scarred me for life. I don't think I actually died much from actual combat or PVP...I died more just trying to get somewhere.

I play a very controlled, thoughtful, patient style of game. So really, my gameplay is well-suited for a permadeath option...I just want no part of it. But if anyone else does...cool...peace be the journey my friends...and please keep me in your will...

BillRoy likes this.
  7. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

Doh...double post. That didn't take long for me to do...

8. smack

smack Avatar

This.

The play experience is entirely different. There have been games where, upon finishing the regular mode and switching to an extreme hardcore or "permadeath" mode, it was like playing a whole different game. The way you approached the game is completely changed and in some cases even more satisfying.

I agree though, this is definitely not for everyone. The vast majority would not want it forced upon them. Even some of those that might try it optionally will just see it as annoying or lame. That's fine, as it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Can SotA be played in this "hardcore" way? Perhaps, but it's too early to tell.

So my vote? Given that it's optional and that I've also proposed an optional permadeath flag for certain optional quests....yes.

BillRoy likes this.
  9. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Maybe this would be one of the people who live on this new world instead of the Avatars coming there.
    You start off with some parents in a certain town and grow older till you either get killed or die of old age.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.