Pet Event Idea

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Aree, Jan 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aree

Aree Avatar

I heard they're adding pet taming of normal animals and the like. However with so many animals the amount of work to have them all 'available' at the get go would probably make it setup with a static pets. One person's wolf is just like the next.
    My idea is to have a few, 3-5, well developed pets with a skill tree and limited points dependent on level. So you can't buy every skill for each pet but pick and choose for your own build. Then! The devs work on adding another 1-3 pets and create a weekend or week event. During this event players, taming focus types, will track down and gather information on those pets. Taking the information to an NPC who will then use this information to work out the proper techniques and, possibly, bait to lure and tame those particular creatures.

Which creatures? Well why not make a player event so the people who have been playing and fighting get to pick and choose out of 10 or 15 types. This way we won't have "DRAGONSDRAGONSDRAGONS!" from people on day 1 of the very first event.

What do you all think?

2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

It would not be terribly costly to reskin pets, so maybe that is an option.

However the one thing I treasured the most in wow, was learning pet spells. In the early years, hunters would have to brave very challenging higher level content to tame a particular mob just to learn a skill and pass it on to other pets. There were even cases where particular hard to get mobs would have better stats. Blizzard completely ruined that now. But I loved it more than anything else.

3. Aree

Aree Avatar

No. Not a reskin. Why go to the trouble of making each pet unique and seperate if all you're gonna do is toss a recolor onto the mesh.

4. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I would not be too quick to knock the reskins. Some of those artists can do amazing things with a mesh pattern.

Anyway a model is very time consuming to deign, bone, skin and animate. I doubt anyone would do that much work for a one off. But it certainly does not hurt to ask. If they do, i think it would be awesome.

Themo Lock and enderandrew like this.
  5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I share your love of useful pets sir!

Tahru likes this.
  6. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Unique models for each pet likely isn't feasible. They'd need something like character creation sliders to allow each to look unique.

I'm guessing they don't have the budget or focus for something like that now. But maybe in the future...

Themo Lock and Tahru like this.
  7. Aree

Aree Avatar

I actually didn't mean this but.... hot damn if they didn't have starter pet creation like that....

I ment.

Here's a Wolf! Brown and Tan.
    HELLHOUND RAWR! Red and Orange.

Exact same skeleton shape. Different Skin.

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.