Playable on old Core2Duo 2,13 GhZ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vampiro, Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vampiro

Vampiro Avatar

Hi folks,

I have just signed up on the page. Before I pledge, a short question regarding sys requirements since I could not find a sort of answer yet.

I only have:
    E6420 (core2duo) with 2,13 GhZ
    4GB Memory
    Radeon 5700-series.

I know there are no official System Requirements yet, but does someone maybe use a similar Setup and can share his/her impressions from one of the Release Weekends?

thx :)

Vampiro

2. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Hail and welcome to SotA.
    Since 32 Bit operating systems are supported, you should still be fine and better as with onboard graphics. Is that an PC or a laptop?
    But of course there are some bottlenecks created (and in the not very optimized previews these bottlenecks may have impact to video quality - you may have to reduce it - and felt performance aka lag).
    However: if you pledge now you can get the founder adventurer level pledge from me and a few others for only 25$ and upgrade it immediately by 20$ using the alienware link from the latest SotA news to founder level pledge.
    *Salute*
    Olahorand

Vampiro and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  3. Vampiro

Vampiro Avatar

Hail to thee,

thanks a lot :)

I run Windows 7 64 bit, it is a Desktop PC. Maybe someone will look into the thread with a similar setup?

Thanks a lot! I did add the 20 USD to my new account and actually consider the 25 USD upgrade. Since there is still some time left, I want to see if it really runs on my PC :) Not playing with Max Details or so would be no problem, as long as it is playable with decent distance view (I don't care much about graphics).

The 25 USD Pledge Upgrade sounds very decent.

If I understood it correctly (after some reading and watching Mad Hermits Video):

- I currently have the 20 USD guilt pledge (Alienware)
    - I need paypal (never used it so far) and then send e.g. you 25 USD.
    - you then sort of give me a 25 USD founder pledge (which is actually sold out but can still be given to other people like me)
    - I then have two pledges (20 USD guilt pledge + 25 USD founder pledge) and email the devs to merge my pledges and I shall then have one 45 USD pledge, meaning a founder Adventurer pledge?

The advantage of being a founder at this level is to get the founder shield?

Thanks a lot :)

All the best
    Vampiro

4. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

I'd give you the 40 Dollar Adventurer founder pledge for your 25 Dollar, so that you would be at Founder founder pledge level after adding this to your 20$ from the Alienware promo.
    *Salute*
    Olahorand

Vampiro and Logain like this.
  5. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

Lol you should do fine with that setup.

I would start shopping for an upgrade tho.

Vampiro likes this.
  6. Duffrey Blake

Duffrey Blake Avatar

This cpu especially in the B2 stepping is predestniated for overlocking and squeezing about 50% more power out of it.
    I had the same cpu in my previous desktop pc bought in 2006 and easily overlocked it to 3,2 GhZ. Latest games in 2013 were running fine with moderate settings.

7. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

That's a good price he's offering... I'd take him up on that... ;)
    (And no, I'm not affiliated with Olahorand...)

Vampiro likes this.
  8. Vampiro

Vampiro Avatar

Hi Folks :)

Thanks a lot for all your feedback :)

Like Olahorand and Duffrey I am based in Germany, too :)

First, concerning my PC:

True, I could OC it (and actually bought a mainboard and memory that would allow it.) So that is in option. On a German website someone said its not running very smoothly on his Q6600, but then again its not the final build and I should be ok. Hence, the conclusion seems to be it will most likely run on my PC.

Gracekain, quite true, but so far the games I really want to run on my PC do still run :-D (including newer games like Blackguards, Civ 5 BNW; AAA-Titles I play using my PS+ membership; and my backlog on classics I still need to play is massive ;) )

Second, concerning my pledge:

Olahorand, thanks a lot for this very generous offer. If I understand it correctly, you get some referall USD from the devs (25 USD) and are prepared to share part of it, that is very kind! I will just wait a few days to see if some more feedback concerning the hardware comes in, also I will need to set up a Paypal-Account (I usually use my credit card).

Basically, I would then get founder status AND probably get in the Founder Pledge Level AND, if I decided to gor for a further upgrade, the upgrade might be cheaper (as it seems to be cheaper for founders than for benefactors, Adventurer Pledge 40 USD versus 45 USD). If I do the latter will depend a bit on my (hardware) experiences during the R4 weekend. The community already seems awesome :)

To sum it up, it seems fantastic :)

Sorry for the sort of newbie questions. I have followed the project, but not in detail.

cu :)

monxter and Olahorand like this.
  9. Logain

Logain Avatar

Was that referring to R3? I'm not sure if they have OC set up properly yet (though I'd assume it), but they stated they don't use LOD yet on many a prefab, so there's probably quite some space for improvement, which they announced to have started work on ("Performance Optimizations: Introducing multiplayer in Release 3 exposed some performance issues that needed resolution sooner than later.") That said, performance on the large outdoor scenes (cities) should be drastically worse than in the dungeons due to way better OC results for closed tunnel structures, unless they intend to really fool around with shaders, textures and dynamic lighting in there :p

As for PayPal, wasn't there an option to use creditcard payment without setting up an account (if that's a reason that keeps you from taking that step), or am I wrong there?
    But yes, Olahorand kindly forwards parts of his referral bonus as a discount to you and you'd easily get founder Founder tier through the 20$ Alienware Bonus promotion.

Vampiro and Olahorand like this.
  10. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

It still bothers me they have (Royal) founders and benefactors, but also a founder tier... Pretty confusing...

So when you get a founders pledge through the mediation of any of the founders offering the service, you can have a Founder Founder pledge at $60, because the tiers cost less for founders... As you're also getting it discounted, you're only paying half of what you're getting... You then have up to 7 April to pledge for higher tiers at the discounted founder pricing. (Nice detail, even if you're on a payment plan, as long as you pledged before cutoff, you'll get to finish the payment plan at the lower price!)

Everybody and their dog were having performance issues in R3, and Portalarium have already indicated they found the likely cause of that, so that shouldn't be an indication of whether it will work on your machine... I believe the biggest challenge is memory, as you can tune down details and depth, etc. to attain an acceptable framerate... That is probably also why some people on 32 bit windows were having issues...

Anyway, whatever you decide, good luck to you!...

Vampiro and Olahorand like this.
  11. Iona

Iona Avatar

Vampiro, my pc is quite elderly now, and consists of an AMD Athlon x 2 3.0GhZ, with 4MB ram and a Radeon HD 5670. I run Windows 7 32 bit because when I upgraded from XP to Win 7 some years ago people were saying on some of the forums at the time that many current programs wouldn't run with the 64 bit version. Since getting everything to run as I wish, I have never risked messing up my system by installing the 64 bit version. I find I can play older games absolutely fine and Guildwars 2 runs very smoothly with quite a decent graphics level. However, with SotA I had to have the graphics set at 'Fastest' and found I was having a few problems with frame rates in multiplayer mode. Single player mode was better, but I did keep crashing when going from one region to another. I'm sure it would be better if I was using a 64 bit system with a lot more memory, but for now it is workable, especially if they manage to tweak the performance issues. I'm moving house quite soon, and if I have any money left after that I am hoping to treat myself to a new desktop pc, but the game is certainly playable for me on my old system, even if not ideal.

Hope this helps.

Vampiro, Logain and Olahorand like this.
  12. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

The graphics arent cutting edge so an old pc should be fine

On a different note since it loooks like you guys are giving out pledges ill take one: p. k thx

13. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

@mmjarec: I don't think any one is "giving out" pledges as you call it, although most *are* providing discounts on the Adventurer Founder's pledge...

Vampiro likes this.
  14. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Ok thats my bad then I misunderstood i though they were free

Vampiro likes this.
  15. Vampiro

Vampiro Avatar

Hi all,

thanks again for all your replies and also the replies I had not see/replied to yet :)

I have been more busy than I feared, I have to hand in my thesis on this coming Friday. Hence I missed the weekend as well :( Nevertheless, I have not changed my mind on getting the game and would like to thank you for your kind advice and will send a PM to Olahorand.

Iona, your set-up is very similar indeed :) Back in the days that is pretty much what I organised for my Dad. Glad to hear it is running-ish :) I am also optimistic that they will still tweak the performance. Fastest settings are fine to me. (btw, I have family in North-West England :) ).

Hopefully see you all ingame during the next release-weekend :) After 4th April I shall also start being a bit more active in the forums.

Iona likes this.
  16. Iona

Iona Avatar

Vampiro, thanks for your comments. Sorry you missed the weekend but your thesis was more important.

I just noticed that I originally said that my machine had 4MB of ram! Of course I should have said 4GB, must have been having a 'senior moment' ;). Anyway, I have been using it over the weekend for R4 and found that the game would freeze after a few minutes in multiplayer mode, although it ran very smoothly in single player. It still crashes frequently when moving into a new area; trying to enter into 'The Clink' scene caused a catastrophic system failure where Windows 7 wouldn't start and ended up having to repair itself which was a bit scary. These problems do seem quite common, so maybe nothing to do with my machine. Hope not anyway, and if the bugs are fixed maybe will see you in game next time. I was interested to see you have family over here. I live in the very north of the North West, near Carlisle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.