Player made vs Game made items idea? ? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Knight2, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rowan50k

rowan50k Avatar

I was pretty excited by the salvage idea and what LB had to say on the subject.

I was, however, a bit concerned by the part about an ever increasing cost of repair. Mainly because this seems to go against the concept of building a powerful and historic weapon by using it to slay 50 dragons or the like. It seems unfair that once you have put all this effort into making a special weapon, the game then deliberately discourages you from continuing to use it, primarily to boost the economy.

One possible idea I thought might provide a win-win scenario would be to still have this increasing cost but also to allow a crafter to reforge your old weapon as part of the recipe for a new weapon. This could carry over its historic bonuses gained from killing X goblins, while still stimulating the crafting economy.

It would also make some sense from a story perspective since the imbued metal used from your old weapon would be part of the new weapon you are getting commissioned. This would hopefully remove the sense of wasted effort as you would be carrying forwards your deeds (in the form of weapon bonuses) with you despite still needing to upgrade your gear.

It would stimulate the sale of old player weapons, since crafters could salvage these imbued properties for use in making new gear for other players.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  2. Crikey

Crikey Avatar

The proposed crafting system, where the best items in the game are made by players, is very cool.

Where the 'game item' aspect kicks in would be, say, for example:

A top crafter has made a high level sword or shield. This can then be further improved once it is imbued with the effect of some rare mineral or essence that can only occasionally be found, perhaps, in a meteorite crater, or one crater in 1000.

The imbuing, also, needs to be performed by a top level crafter - perhaps an Alchemist?

I expect that the Devs have already thought of this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.