Player Owned Town Questions

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Latnem, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Latnem

Latnem Avatar

So I have searched the forums and haven't been able to find much info on this item. If someone has purchased a Player Owned Town and can PM me or if someone could answer the following questions.

1. What is the main motivation to have a Player Owned Town?
    I can see for guilds to have one place for their members or to have spots for homes of your own. What other reasons could there be?

2. Attached to another Town so there would be a teleport of sorts to your town? How does this work with the Holdfast?

3. Advantages or Disadvantages to owning the town or Pros and cons

2. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Welcome to SotA! I don't own a POT but I plan to live in one. I'm sure there are many different viewpoints surrounding your questions.

3. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

1. a group of like minded people
    many Guilds in one Town
    2. Port Phoenix now has 9 towns associated with it and we have wagons and sewers and a boat to connect to them.
    3. If you have an idea about what a Town should be, or what you want it to be..and have people who think like you.

just my 2 cents

4. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

Welcome to SotA, don't let the under contstruction sign deter you from making this your home. :)

1. this will be different for each prospective town owner. for me, the motivation was to help my guild transition to this game as well as the roleplaying possibilities, alongside the obvious help for my friends guildies family and i to avoid the land rush, that lord british so desperately loves to watch

2. i have a village. and it is attached to several other player owned towns, over in elysium. i asked for the attachment in the form, so did the other owners, and as long as the devs say it is ok based on some logic they use (like distance, ability to travel to, etc) then we get it. i doubt, because i'm in elysium and radio city is by blood river, i could get a link there, for example.. i specifically asked for dragonboats to be my main method of fast travel between my town links, because my biome will be an archipelago when the biome is created, until then i have the current island theme. as it was one of the few manual things they needed to do for my dynamic town, and very easy for them to do for me, i got it.

3. see above for some of the advantages... some disadvantages tend to be you needing to spend more time on the town, than on your own gameplay, if you wish for it to prosper.. for example: i've not had much time recently, and my town is kind of ghostlike... but port phoenix next door, kazyn spends a ton of time in there managing it and having events etc... it is quite prosperous.. - a pro for me with that, however, is i WANT a quiet neighborhood to live in.

so yeah, there are no actual static pros and cons or motivations, becasue they are specific to the potential owner of the town.

Jacqueline and CharlieChaos like this.
  5. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

1. The motivation will differ from person to person. I've seen some people buy a small holdfast literally just for personal use. They don't want other players in their own, but they want full control over where there house will be in the world. Others want to create a home for friends or a guild.

2. Attached to a town means that if you enter Rift's End (our metropolis for an example) and then you clicked on a boat, or a cave entrance, or something like that, it would lead you into a connected town. The overland map is already full with towns so a new POT purchased today would not be accessible directly from the overland map, but it can be connected to an existing town. If you're interested in buying a Holdfast, I would invite you to potentially consider connecting to Rift's End, but there are many cities you can connect to.

3. There are many advantages to owning a town. You lock/unlock lots so you control it. You can decide where it lives in the world. You can name it, pick NPCs and buildings, etc. For one thing, you can never lose your spot in the world, whether you have a rent free lot deed or not. Let's say you bought a lot deed with gold and you need to pay rent on it. You step away from the game, don't pay rent and get automatically evicted from the lot. You can lock the lot as town owner so no one else can grab it.

The only disadvantage is having to buy it.

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  6. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

1. I'm using my town to create an adventure/quest area.

2. That's pretty much how it would work if you are attached to another town. People would enter the town that shows on the map, and inside that town there would be a gate or tunnel that would teleport you to the linked town. It would work the same way regardless of town size.

3. Advantage is that you have control over who lives in your town. At the very least, you'll always have a place to live. I can't think of a disadvantage for owning a town.

Andaluz and ThurisazSheol like this.
  7. Latnem

Latnem Avatar

Perfect this is kind of what I was looking for. I figured the land rush is a big one you know you will be able to place what you want along with friends. I just wasn't sure if there was more talk of the ability to "make money" owning the town off of taxes or something a long those lines.

Are there any Town Controls where you could setup like a second in command or Mayor besides yourself to help with things or is it all on your shoulders

Lord-Galiwyn and ThurisazSheol like this.
  8. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Yes, you can set up Stewards who can do effectively anything that you can do as owner, with just a few restrictions. What they are, I don't know, as I don't own a town.

9. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Some people are trying to make money off their town, selling lots and such, but it seems those people are in the minority from what I can tell.

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  10. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i'd agree with @enderandrew , in that those wanting to make money are in the minority. - it has been said that in a later chapter there will be taxes the owner can charge the citizens of their town - above the rent the game charges. all on a monthly basis. one of the plusses for getting an ancestor or higher pledge now is the tax free lots you get alongside the pledge itself. those tax free lots would get charged rent, in a player owned town if the town owner charges rent - those lots only guarantee game-rent is not charged "to the crown" so to speak.

i for one will have an invite only town, specifically for residency.. people can ask for an invite, but shouldn't take it personally if they don't get said invite. :) and i do not intend to charge rent/taxes when that becomes a feature. i will also basically let the residents choose where i place their lots as they choose - AFTER i place my guilds house lot and my personal lot, of course... *evil grin*

i'll have a few stewards in my guild that i trust, so we can have people available to help with the town as needed, and not rely on my odd-shaped free time to do so.

says the steward for port phoenix. *chuckle*
    only restrictions, as of right now, that you do not get, are setting who can be a steward. with more options later on, that may change, but i hope the owners will be able to set which options stewards can place.. i'd even like a second tier lower-end steward that lets me set an assistant mayor, so to speak...who can do all i can do, but lower tier handle housing.

11. Womby

Womby Avatar

Me too! In fact it's my intention that come E1 nobody will live in my POT - not even me. Maybe POT owners who are using them to add game content should get together some time to create multi-location quests, swap ideas, etc.

12. Latnem

Latnem Avatar

This is all exciting stuff for me to hear from the community that the minority of people are trying to make money off lots. I use to run a Tavern on a free shard and did events and what not. The reason for the POT questions is I would like to own a POT as a base of operation for a guild I want to run. It would mostly be guild housing but I would also like to setup a portion of it sort of like a "Company". Part of a UO guild I ran was strictly craters and I would like to set up a "Company HQ so to speak.

ThurisazSheol and enderandrew like this.
  13. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Hey CharlieChaos

No hurry to buy a POT. I noticed your other new player welcome thread. If I were you I would enjoy a few releases and see what is happening with the 230+ current POTs that are already sold. Get a firm grip on if you also want to dive in and be a governor.

Comes with a lot of responsibility!

14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

There are numerous benefits to owning a PoT, currently not many are taking advantage of the money making potential, but I would assume that when the land becomes more scarce if the game becomes more popular then it will be more common.

Also, PoT owners can ban at will and decide who lives where and for how long in their PoT's with no notice required. This is looked at as a benefit.

I guess the disadvantage is you have to pay for it.

15. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I like Sir Frank's answer on creating one's own adventure zone. Also, not everyone wants their home to be in a super-busy extremely-organized town. Nothing wrong with a sparsely populated holdfast and plenty of sprawling land around a keep, which might not be quite possible, at least within one's control, in an NPC town.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.