Player Owned Towns - Longterm Proposal

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Birko, Mar 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birko

Birko Avatar

scruffycavetroll started this thread :
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/town.20642/
    There are interesting arguments in the thread, but this response is probably best as a new thread because it is a proposal. The brief idea :

Owners of Player Owned Towns (PoT) have a programmable Luna Rift.

The bigger the PoT, the further the range and destinations. A Lord of the Manor would have a Lunar Rift that can transport you to Release 2 and Release 3 continents - basically anywhere. It makes Novia important for years to come, and PoT owners strategically relevant. You could travel huge distances without going into the Overland Map.

Each PoT is a "Moongate" hub, creating alliances with other PoT "Moongates".

2. Womby

Womby Avatar

In my opinion that is clearly and unequivocally pay to win.

Birko likes this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I can see we're talking that have that continuous debate regarding fast travel vs normal travel all the way through Ep5.

My personal response to this is.. oh hell no... This brings me right back to the UO days when magic travel was so common place.. those who couldn't cast magic (yes here it comes again) would stand around begging for a gate for 20 minutes to places they could walk to in 5.

Britannia has never had more than 8 stable moongates.. err lunar rifts.. and we've already accounted for 3 of them. I don't want a lunar rift in every other player town on the map.

Beyond my personal preferences though.. and lore conflicts.. it would also hurt the drive towards regional economies.. as well as the purpose for control points. Everyone would just use lunar rifts to bypass them entirely.

Beyond that, there will once again be the argument of small towns feeling like they're being shafted for not having enough money. Why should the size of the town matter? That has nothing to do with how lunar rifts function.

Further.. controlling the destination of lunar rifts is supposedly high level magic. How would they be programmable by anyone who isn't a mage specializing in that sort of thing?

Sorry, not to be harsh or anything.. it would be a fun idea for some I'm sure but.. yeah.. no thanks.

Birko likes this.
  4. Net

Net Avatar

Birko likes this.
  5. Birko

Birko Avatar

I agree with all above. I had a thought bubble without being aware of past arguments.
    Sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.