Player-owned towns: No PvP vs Open PvP vs PvP-only?

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by smack, Jul 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

It wasn't clear in the hangout earlier today if player-owned towns can be enabled as an Open PvP town or as a PvP-only town?

- No PvP town = default status, so unless one of the two options below is chosen, your town can't have any PvP whatsoever
    - Open PvP town = if you're flagged for PvP, you can fight other PvP players, but not anyone that isn't flagged
    - PvP-only town = everyone is flagged as PvP upon entry into the town

I wonder how many of the 40 current player-owned towns fall into one of the above 3.

Time Lord and Jivalax Azon like this.
  2. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Time Lord and Jivalax Azon like this.
  3. smack

smack Avatar

Ok let me check out the Wiki...and yeah, they said there are about 40 now (just watching the Hangout now too as I missed it earlier due to work)

Time Lord likes this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

Another issue about player-owned towns being no-PvP: will it be a safe haven for PvP on the run?

That is, if your town is no-PvP but allows anyone to enter (but can't fight in it), will those players who were actively fighting others in another town be able to run to your town and effectively be protected so he can heal, buff, etc? This completely breaks the Open PvP and Guild PvP modes. The only way to mitigate that is by barring PvP players from entering a no-PvP town.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Johnny Black

Johnny Black Avatar

I think that this would fall into the "Universally Flagged for PvP," from what I gathered from the hangout it doesn't seem that a town can be made PvP proof.

Time Lord and Duke NRaas like this.
  6. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

There are two possibilitys they would walk for me.
    1. like you wrote ( The only way to mitigate that is by barring PvP players from entering a no-PvP town. )
    2. you can fight in this town as in every non-player-owned town if you are flagged for pvp, people arround will not be involved and automaticly flagged if they don't interact with those fighters like healing or something like this.
    Only in special pvp-aereas you don't have a choise step on pvp or not.:)

7. Shadow

Shadow Avatar

Hypothetically, couldn't I have a town that's open PvP and still avoid PvP when ever I choose by switching to an online/solo mode of play before entering my town?

8. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yep.

Provided PvP-enforced towns operate in the same manner as other PvP-enforced instances, simply switching to SPO or FPO mode will allow you bypass the PvP aspect entirely. :)

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I think you're in error...
    There is no such state as "No PvP" by your definition.

A settlement (or scene) may either be the default state for the world (Players flagged for PvP may fight each other anywhere) which is your "Open PvP" category above, or the owner may set the settlement scene to be a PvP Scene, meaning those that enter the scene will be flagged for PvP while in the scene, and those that aren't flagged will be warned prior to entering the scene.

It is Binary, there is no third state.

Time Lord and Duke NRaas like this.
  10. smack

smack Avatar

You would think so, but it's not entirely clear. I asked this on the Update #82 post and dallas responded to it saying that player-owned towns don't have Open PvP. It's either forced PvP or none. At least that's their current thinking and may consider support for Open PvP in the future.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Here's what Dallas said:
    Which I interpret to mean exactly as I proposed... A town Without PvP turned on will have rules exactly like the rest of the world... Like your NPC Towns that you spoke of in the exchange...

Towns with PvP turned on will have rules just like any other PvP+ scene in the game.

To do else would add an unnecessary level of currently non-existent complexity to the game and Chris wouldn't sign off on it without good reason.

Want to bet a Foal on it? I'd like a Buskskin, please.

12. smack

smack Avatar

Well, in Update #81, this was stated:

PvP Option for Player Owned Towns
    Community member Duke Violation suggested that we allow players to be able to set Open PvP for their player owned towns and we thought that was a brilliant idea, so we’re adding that option to the Owner’s Console for Player Owned Towns! Thanks Duke Violation!

Which implies they weren't planning on PvP at all for towns, and even then, it's an option.

I'll take a cria, thanks. :p

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Yes... which is exactly what I said.

Player owned towns without PvP set will operate as the rest of the map... People not flagged for PvP through the Blessing of the Oracle quest cannot attack any other Avatar nor can they be attacked by any other Avatar.

Player owned towns WITH the PvP flag set (Which was not part of the original concept for Player Owned Towns, but ADDED with the approval of Chris because it was easy to do, and didn't require much work) will behave as any other PvP+ scene in the game... Anyone In the Scene, whether Flagged for Open World PvP through the Oracle Quest or not, will be able to attack and be attacked by any other Avatar in the hex. Presence in the hex is tacit consent to participate in PvP.

These are the only two modes in the game.

There is no "No PvP" mode as you suggest in your original post. There is no place proposed on the map where those Flagged through the Blessing of the Oracle quest cannot PvP, which is what your No PvP Mode states.

There is Normal Mode, and PvP+ Mode... That's all. A Player Town defaults to Normal Mode, just as the rest of the world does. The town owner may elect to make the scene PvP+ in which case the scene acts just as any other PvP+ scene in the game.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. smack

smack Avatar

Again, interpretations which we don't agree on. Ultimately though if it were my call, I would agree with you and say that the rules of Open PvP should be obeyed regardless if it's an NPC town or player-owned town. You simply face the consequences of whatever local rules are in place, if any.

Having said that, if you dropped $5,000 on a Metropolis with the assumption that PvP (be it forced PvP-only or Open PvP) was an option and not a requirement...start hiring NPC guards?

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Want the Foal bet or not?

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.