Player Quest System - WIP

Discussion in 'Player Created Lua Script Repository' started by Tirrag, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Eveara

Eveara Avatar

Will have a long, hard look at that as soon as I have a couple hours ahead of me!

Time Lord, Elgarion and Tirrag like this.
  2. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

wonderful thank you :) i am also working on a small quest to provide as an example.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Eveara

Eveara Avatar

So! The core system works fine, and everything that should be displayed is. :)

I made a copy of the pqs_template.ini file and tried to set up some simple steps to test the system out. But I wasn't able to make it work. Nothing to do with your work, though! The Google Doc you provided is very informative, it's just I ain't no dev. I really could use a template to understand what-goes-where and how to organize / structure the different steps.

Eager to learn!

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

hi @Eveara! thank you for giving it an initial go :) based on your detail, one issue may be that you copied the .ini file. if in doing so you renamed it that could cause an issue in not being recognized. the pqs_template.lua handles the duty of loading the individual quest into the system. at the top, it has a value that must match the name of ini file where the quest data is located. if when you copied the ini file you were editing a file other than the pqs_template.ini file, then you will need to update the value in the pqs_template.lua file. at the top of pqs_template.lua, update:

local quest_data_file = "pqs_template"

and change pqs_template to the name of the file you are working in (minus the .ini) so if you call yours eveara_quest.ini it would look like:

local quest_data_file = "eveara_quest"

then update your eveara_quest.ini file with the initial quest block needs. the goal here would be to just get it to load the quest data file so we know its loading properly:

The bare-minimum section would look something like:

[quest]
    id=EVEARA_Q1
    name=Eveara Quest
    backstory=The coolest quest of them all!

with nothing else in the file. when you do a /lua reload you should see your quest was loaded and it should now appear on the main quests window.

please let me know if this helps! once we get the quest loading we can then start with a journal entry.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    Time Lord likes this.
  5. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

i have also started writing a guide to manually building a quest to hopefully assist anyone wishing to try this out. hope to have something by this evening (13 hours from now for me). also the download zip has been updated with a bug fix that was causing a lua error when kobolds were barking.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

i was pretty tired last night and opted for sleep :) i did get a start though on the tutorial and will work on it throughout today and this evening.

PQS Quest Building Tutorial

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    Time Lord likes this.
  7. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

well R95 sure did put a wrinkle in my timelines :) been getting more game time instead of lua time but i am continuing on. there is an updated release with a few minor updates:

https://shroudoftheavatar.tools/player_quest_system_v.6a.zip

and i have continued the tutorial document above. it has reached a point where you can begin following along if you wish @Eveara (and anyone else trying it out) as you can completely build the first part of the tutorial quest.

Time Lord, Anpu and Eveara like this.
  8. Eveara

Eveara Avatar

Yay!! \o/

I'll try and have a look sometimes during next week – can't guarantee anything though, busy times are coming...

Time Lord and Tirrag like this.
  9. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

Thanks for all this work @Tirrag , I have been trying to build a quest file and have been following the guide, did I get this section formatted correctly? I was getting a little confused following along and gave it my best attempt :)

Code:
    ; ------------------------------------------
    ; journal entries
    ; ------------------------------------------
    [journal_entries]
    journal1=J1
    journal2=J2

[journal_entry_J1]
    id=J1
    title=Visit Ardoris
    text=You have received a letter from a distant relative begging you at once, to travel to the city of Ardoris.
    hint=You come to the obvious conclusion that you have been summoned to Ardoris.

[journal_entry_J2]
    id=J2
    title=Questline Part II
    text=Phase 2 of the questline.
    hint=There is no hint. There is only imagination.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

greetings and thank you for giving it a whirl in its current state. yes that looks correct!

Anpu, Time Lord and craftymethod like this.
  11. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

just wanted to drop a note that this project is still alive. after the release of the new Lua UI features i am going backwards before i can go forwards again. slowly working on updating the UI and once i have that complete it can go forward again.

Anpu and that_shawn_guy like this.