Player Run Live Auctions

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Lukashka the Necromancer, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukashka the Necromancer

Lukashka the Necromancer Avatar

Took a quick look around and didn't see this anywhere.

Player run auctions are fun- this is because, imo, you don't have to wait 5 days to win a bid, the thrill is in the moment.

If there was something in game to facilitate player run live auctions, that would be fun I think.

2. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

This is something that could be automated. No need for a player to stand around playing auctioneer. Have an NPC accept bids via private message, and call the auction. Have some reasonable time limit.

I'm not sure if this would add much to the game, but it is doable.

3. Lukashka the Necromancer

We would hold auctions in the old days in UO, they were actually a lot of fun. There are a lot of players who would very much enjoy playing auctioneer- my thinking was more along the lines of having in game tools to facilitate that process. In other words, allowing players to view the item and place bids in a controlled environment. Being able to guarantee if you win a bid you get the item, etc.

There has been discussion on the forums about doing away with the "auction house" concept entirely, and I support this, but I also enjoyed the fast paced player run version.

Stile likes this.
  4. stile

stile Avatar

Im one that would prefer not to have a built in AH system in the game. It wont break my heart if it is there, but I dealt in the market in UO (anything and everything). I've also dealt in the market in other MMO's using a auction house system. Ive found that its something im rather good at and have a kack for regardless of which way I do it. Its just an aspect of the game I have fun doing really. Where I was going though is that in UO when I finally gave it up, I had about 2000-2500 people in ICQ. 500-1000 of those where guild members, guild leaders of other guilds and so on. The rest where all people I bought from and sold to. Organized categorically to make it simple.

The thing is, it really didn't stop there. Sure Id add people to my buying list that I had regular deals with or ones that knew I was a good source to unload a high gold cost good to quickly. Or people that I knew wanted certain sort of good that where hard to come by and so on.. However those relationships expand. You chit chat a little out of politeness when you do regular business, etc.. and friendships form, people you do things with, etc.. Auction house's do not do that. They take the personal factor out of the game. That's fine for real life, but for a online game id rather have the personal factor.

Yeah - I also participated in many player ran auctions in UO. Both private/invitation held and public. Scheduled and spur of the moment. Usually though thi would be for high dollar items. When talking stuff that was above average in cost it might have been public, but when talking rares or even unique (one per server.. I owned a couple of those but not many!) the auctions would take place by invitation in private. Usually there would be some lower dollar items to make it an event but most would go In hopes of that big item. This was a TON of fun, and it turned buying or selling a good into an event. < example of something an AH doesn't do.

Player ran auctions are definitely the way to go in my opinon! But no need for any special tools for it beyond a trade window.. just run one!

5. Jonathon.Doran

Jonathon.Doran Avatar

In my mind there is a difference between the WoW-style AH and a real-time auction held in the village square. Lukushka seems to be talking about the latter.

Jatvardur and Lukashka like this.
  6. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

The way I thought this would be done is if players would have to meet at someplace where the auction is being held.
    Maybe once a week the event would be listed in different towns.
    The instant would have to be on a game server since I'm guessing lots of players would be there.
    If they are all able to see each other is another story.

Here is how I would think a live auction would work, of course with a different look.

7. Lukashka the Necromancer

Agreed, just not sure exactly how things will work in the game, for example this may be a problem:
    In which case, there would need to be something in place to facilitate. Either way, I'm glad to see someone else enjoyed those auctions! And @Stile I completely agree with your thoughts on the AH- I would shed no tears over it's absence.

Stile likes this.
  8. Pyro

Pyro Avatar

I had mentioned this somewhere in a somewhat unrelated thread. But the 1.9 million stretch goal includes mechanics for theater systems, which would allow for admissions, potentially crowd control by the event-holder. One could actually go to the theater and set up a date for your Auction, list it, maybe town criers mention upcoming events in towns, and it might even spread to neighboring cities, depending how far ahead of schedule it is. This (core) mechanic will already be within the game for players to rent out a space, and host any sort of event they choose to.

set up an auction here, and host the event however you would choose to. emulate the old days, with some bonuses being brought in by meeting the 1.9 million goal.

9. stile

stile Avatar

+1 Pyro!

10. Lukashka the Necromancer

Wow, that actually sounds pretty cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.