Playing MPO as a Lone Wolf

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sir X, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir X

Sir X Avatar

Will not having a Facebook, Twitter, or any other social media account have any direct impacts in the game, besides ruling out the option of playing with real world friends? If I plan on playing in MPO full time with real world strangers will I lose out on any in-game items, features, or perks?

If there was, say, a mini-game for crafters on Android that somehow required that I be logged in with my Facebook account, or anything else that would "force" me to create social media accounts to gain advantages, I would be turned off.

2. Monkus

Monkus Avatar

+1 I agree.

3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I do really like the idea of mobile crafting. But the intersection of my actual friends "friends" on facebook and people who enjoy online games is probably zero.

You could argue that anytime you play a game with a friend or make a friend in game, there's an advantage. But I don't expect rewards for tweeting my achievements.

4. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

+ agree with Sir X.

I have never given out personal information such as Facebook to even my best online gaming friends.

5. Rayne

Rayne Avatar

They haven't announced any complimentary app games to date. The assumption is the facebook/linkedin/google+ integration is used simply for finding people who you might like to play with.

6. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Sir X, from what Chris has said all having Facebook would mean is that you could dump that information into the game to show it who your friends are. You will still be able to do this manually and he said you wont lose ANYTHING from not giving them access to your Facebook etc

7. Sir X

Sir X Avatar

Thank you, Sir Asguard, that is a relief.

As an afterthought, I'd like to see in-game profiles implemented for players wishing to opt-out of the Facebook option, but still want to be matched up with people in their geographical location, age group, or any other criterion used in the matchmaking algorithm.

8. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

You still will be matched to people the game thinks you should be

What we are talking about here is YOU telling the game THIS IS MY FRIEND, ALWAYS MATCH HIM WITH ME

Chris said that you will be able to do this by importing your friends list from things like Facebook AND\OR by doing it manually. So for example I could tell the game that you are my friend by just typing it in or whatever and then you would almost always show up when we are online together and set in friends mode or full online

9. Sir X

Sir X Avatar

I guess it comes down to what other information is being used from Facebook besides your friends list. Imagine if the game puts four strangers in a dungeon together because they all like The Walking Dead.

If the game let you know what you have in common with the strangers you are playing with, that would instantly give them a bond. I think that could be fun and interesting as long as players were given control over what they share. But, selfishly I don't want to have a FB account to get the full experience of SotA's matchmaking.

I'm actually thinking about an Omegle-like profile to be used in-game. If a text box were given to the player to define keywords to use as matchmaking criteria it would open up other possibilities that wouldn't be possible otherwise. The player could type in-game interests such as anti-pk, roleplayer, fisherman, etc..., thereby increasing the chances he is matched to someone with similar interests.

10. Riot

Riot Avatar

I really hate the idea of connecting Facebook and stuff with the game. I don't like mingling all these accounts and getting ads/news feed spam on my Facebook, OR having to play with certain people I might be "friends" with on Facebook but wouldn't want to actually play a game with. I hope that OPO is a little bigger than they've led on and that there will be a ton of strangers (and friends) coming in and out. I like to feel like a member of a living world, not seeing the same 20-30 people the server deems appropriate all the time.

11. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I want a disguise so I can kill all the people who spam game adds. We need open PVP!

12. Owain

Owain Avatar

@Riot, Facebook is just one method, entirely optional. You should be able to designate friends the old fashioned way, in game, if you wish.

13. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

I haven't yet seen any indication they will be utilizing Facebook beyond as a means of getting the names of people to put on your friends list and like the others said, its just an option and you don't need to use it.

@Riot, it sounds like they will be continuously putting you in instances with other people as you move throughout the map (enter and exit through the dual map) so you'll wind up with whoever happens to be in that area you just entered. This shouldn't be the same people over and over unless you are all moving as a herd to all the same places :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.