Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please let me move around without holding down the right mouse button

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Kara Brae, Oct 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helm

helm Avatar

Reading the comments made me think of my own dream SotA controls setup, optimized in terms of both usability and ergonomics. I'm a mouse person so it's naturally very mouse oriented. I'm sharing it inside a spoiler, as not being really that relevant to the subject of this thread.

However what is relevant to the subject is the fact that my dream setup makes no sense until Portalarium provides a way to have all game functions re-mappable, as discussed previously. None of this "hold down two buttons simultaneously to access a crucial function, and sorry you can't re-map them" business.

• Roccat Nyth MMO gaming mouse -- a well made (but surprisingly affordable) MMO gaming mouse with a 12000 dpi sensor, and 12 programmable thumbkeys and 2 "fin-keys" on top. The mouse could easily double as a top quality work mouse with adjustable shortcuts for many applications. I love Roccat mouses as they also provide good (semi/un-official, but good) support for Linux. This would be adjusted (in my case) to roughly 1800 dpi for general SotA gameplay, providing a few lower dpi (maybe 400 dpi and 150 dpi) modes for things likc decoration. The keys (a total of 28 when combined with the "Easyshift" function), would provide direct, tactile memory based, access to ALL the relevant SotA functions. So I would need to access the keyboard mostly when I wanted to type.
    • Keyboard would then really not matter that much, so it would be preferably wireless, and have backlight. This makes it easy to combined with many kinds of work positions -- standing, sitting, on the floor, even lying in bed :)). Logitech K810 would be a good candidate; it's a wonderful kb (sleek and comfortable in addition to being wireless and backlighted) but surely there are others; as said with that mouse the keyboard would not matter that much.

2. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

Solstar, perhaps I'm misunderstanding your post, but you can totally interact with everything in-game with mouselook toggled on. This is how I play. You just have to aim the middle of the screen and be close to what you want to interact with. Just imagine that there is a invisible crosshair in the center of your screen, and it works! The only time I have to turn off mouselook is when I need do "UI" stuff, aim my fishing pole, or click on text during a NPC discussion.

I do have to reactivate it every time I leave a scene, which is annoying, but otherwise, toggling mouselook on has been one of the most immersion-promoting things I've added to my play-style for SotA. :)

3. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I don't use the wasd-keys (and pressing the right mouse button) to move - I press the left and right mouse button simultaneously instead :) There is an option which allows this kind of movement.

4. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Yes, can not say enough how great the mouselook ability is. I am hoping theyll address archery to add a reticule for aiming so that we dont have to tab target for our shots in archery.

CrazyPhil likes this.
  5. tesyra

tesyra Avatar

I have undiagnosed problems in my right wrist (i suspect its due to using a pc/mouse without me taking enough breaks)
    I have several inoperable spinal injuries, this means i need to sit comfortably (not upright at a desk but reclined in an armchair)
    While we are talking health i also take lots of sedatives, pain-killers, anti-depressants, total of 37 pills a day (its not all relevant but it does explain why im not always sure of my facts, and why i sometimes ramble on a bit) :)
    I am also left handed, but it never occured to me when i first got a pc to try using the mouse with my left hand, so i have always used it in my right hand

Hold onto your hats for this one - I have used a trackball mouse for over ten years now, i could not imagine returning to the hardship of using a non-trackball
    Basically every game ive played since quitting UO (about 2002/2003-ish) I have used this or a similar setup
    Its a Logitech M570, the trackball is in the thumb position, which i find much easier than the ones the have it in the middle of mouse (ive tried both)
    I even keep spare ones of the model i use, in case of breakage because i could never use a normal mouse (however this is also because the mouse balances on the right arm of my lazyboy armchair, so a normal mouse could never sit there, no room to move it)
    It took maybe a day or two to get used it it when i first bought it, and now i really cant use the "normal" mouse types

In my left hand (and on the left arm of my armchair) i have a G-13 Logitech gaming pad, i sometimes use its thumb-joystick for moving, but mostly i hold down both mouse buttons, or hold the right mouse button for turning/looking, and use its thumbstick for moving forward
    The G-13 also has my attacks on, when im not just clicking on them with my mouse, i also use the pad for tab targetting, jumping, and also for Z and T

This combination of mouse and gamepad allows many types of movement as well as the normal, types of walking, like circle-strafing - yes this can be done without it, but it so nice and easy to push the thumb-joystick left or right, and turn the camera with the mouse

I cant give a video of me using it, i dont have webcam, or even the know-how to make, upload, edit etc videos (tbh i dont think i could even do that with just pictures, took me 24 hours to edit and set up my forum avatar)

I would like to see the movement/mouse buttons as follows;
    • Hold RMB = Turns camera AND avatar (faces enemies without removing Stillness buff)
    • Hold LMB = Turns camera only
    • Hold Both = walks/runs forward
    • RMB Clicked Once = Toggles on/off (so it toggles on the "holding" of RMB, but does not count towards moving by holding both buttons (this should also be re-bindable)
    • Autorun = As it is (i rebound this to mousebutton 4)
    • Shift + M = As it is (i rebound this to mousebutton5) Actually i would rather this only turned camera, currently it turns avatar too if you are moving

WrathPhoenix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.