Please remove the horns from the viking helmets...

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Zosaria, Aug 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zosaria

Zosaria Avatar

I know that this is a fantasy game, but it annoys me that you choose to use horns on a viking helmet. The vikings NEVER had horns on their helmets, this is something that the monks wrote about in the viking age to make the vikings or should I say "norsemen" look more demonic. (http://norse-mythology.net/myths-and-misconceptions-about-the-vikings/).

There have been found a cool looking viking helmet in Norway, I would rather see you use that in the game, or atleast next time your want to create a viking helmet.

I know that using horns on a viking helm will make real viking fans turn away from your game, and not make them purchase it as you would like them to.

So please consider to stay more authentic when you create viking stuff for the game.

Grayhawk, Alexander, Leelu and 4 others like this.
  2. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

The problem here is that there's reality and there is truth.
    The truth is, vikings didn't usually put horns on their helms granted.
    The reality is, Movies, Books and Games have all put Horns on Viking helmets so that Horns on Helmet is the modern expectation for the "viking" look.
    It's a cultural thing, just like in Asia Dragons look like winged serpents and in Europe/Americas we have fat Lord of The Rings style dragons.

Must of the Video Game culture expects horns on our "Viking" helmets and it's the only feature that makes them "Viking".

It's no different than Feather Head dress on native Americans.
    Normally wasn't done, and very few tribes had feather head dresses at all, but slap up a picture of a Native American and the first thing people ask is... where are the feathers. It's a cultural sterotype.

3. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

HALLELUJAH! I have been saying this from day one. +1

4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

My adopted sister is Native American. My wife got a minor in Native American studies.

This is something that bothers a lot of Natives, the notion that all Natives looked like the a stereotype of Plains Indians specifically.

Not all tribes used feathers, but those who did, feathers were sacred. They didn't wear tons of them all over.

5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Maybe we could call it the Minnesota Vikings Helmet o_O?'
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:D

6. Zosaria

Zosaria Avatar

Yes it used to be like that, but actually this is changing which also can be seen in the lastest series called "Vikings" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2306299/)
    I will guarantee you that most viking fans will not buy anything with horns on the viking helmets (including me) and I am a big fan. I have a huge community (100k+) they all love viking lore and if I shared a picture of vikings with horned helmets it would only lead to Ragnarök.

Leelu and Time Lord like this.
  7. Zosaria

Zosaria Avatar

Yes but that does not mean we need to keep doing it.

8. Net

Net Avatar

It is like featherless dinosaurs:)

I think it is shame they chosen to use "Viking" theme, there are no vikings in Novia. There are kobolds, elves, people, satyrs, fauns... They could have "horned helemt" instead of Viking one and no one would complain about that:)

9. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Are we really so PC now that we have to worry about offending the Vikings?

Seriously... Like someone else pointed out its a fantasy stereotype. Maybe Novia has a different group of people called Vikings that DO wear horns on their helmet lol.

Hazard, Vrunk Hrrk, cartodude and 3 others like this.
  10. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Wait is SOTA Historical based?

11. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

I call BS.
    1. That you personally "have a huge community", you might be a member of a community, but most likely you aren't their leader.
    2. That 100k is "huge", in the modern world that is trivial.
    3. That most people would even know that vikings didn't actually have horned helmets.
    4. That most people would get angry over viking helmets with horns.
    It's just another case of people getting all PC over an issue that doesn't matter.
    There are no "Vikings" running around in the modern day wearing helmets (with or without horns) to their day job.
    There are people from Scandinavia countries, with a rich and beutiful heritage, but they aren't the "Vikings" of days gone by.
    Nor are they the vikings of legends the Pagans where so afraid of.
    Nor are they the Vikings of fantasy stories (who did wear helmets with horns)

Really, who are these viking Fans?
    Are you talking about sports fans? Are you talking about fantasy TV fans?
    Or is there a "Viking Con" were everyone dresses up like their favorite Viking drinks ale and Roleplays extreme business savyness and feirce battle skills?

Also I'm not a fan of the "Vikings" TV series, we gave up watching after half the first season.
    The actors are fine but the writing sucks.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    Time Lord and Leelu like this.
  12. Zosaria

Zosaria Avatar

Well, I am leader of a few groups on social media, you can check the links out on my website: http://norse-mythology.net/
    To me 100k+ people following me on different social media platforms is alot of people, it might not be to you. (if you still dont believe me send me a msg there)

But this is not about me, it is about that helmet.

You are right that no one is going to work as a viking and the vikings is something from the past. But people still love the lore of the vikings, and those are the people I talk about. And if SOTA wants to make a profit from those people by making some customization viking themed, they should be more authentic, and one of the things I know people really really hate is the horned viking helmet idea.

But as Time Lord said, maybe it is the american football team, and in that case they should just make it purple and white.

Alexander and Time Lord like this.
  13. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Not really, this is a fictional setting that isn't Earth.

But for that reason, I think the fix is to not label them Viking items, but Norgard items.

Alexander, Elwyn, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  14. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

A helmet with two horns makes one infinitely hornier than a helmet with zero horns. So do you want to be infinitely horny, or do you want to be not horny at all?

THAT is quite the conundrum.;)

15. Zosaria

Zosaria Avatar

Yeah a name change would do it.

Time Lord and enderandrew like this.
  16. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

LOL this is a non issue. Really? Debating if helms need horns? Just leave it be and concentrate on the thousands of real issues that this game has. Sheesh.

Stahlknecht and Time Lord like this.
  17. Ulf Berht

Ulf Berht Avatar

When I had Ulf drawn (RPOTA prize) I specifically said NO HORNS as Ulf's backstory is Viking. I did not buy any "Viking" clothes because of the horns. I therefore voted with my $$. I would prefer Port used the term Norgard for that gear, but does it really matter. I do use the "Viking" winged helmet because of the lighting because it is practical.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

LMFAO! Yes Dreamo, we do need to worry about offending the vikings! Not all of them were murderous savages who raped, pillaged and murdered across Europe! Some of them were ex-Calvin Klein models! :rolleyes:;)

[​IMG]

19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Is it hard to change the backstory compared to the game changing for your backstory?

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I agree in principle with the OP but see no way for Portalarium to accommodate such opinions.

I'd prefer if it was Norgard instead of Viking as well. But if it was then the stuff wouldn't sell as much. Nor would a "Viking" helm without horns sell as much since it simply would just be just another helm with nose guard.

So from a business perspective it makes no sense.

Also this game aims heavily on the nostalgia market, and those games this is a spiritual successor of, then there were Viking helmets with horns.

I just chalk it up along with the anglosphere bastardization of almost anything Norse really. Hard to get upset about something they have been doing since the National Romance period. I mean the name 'Viking era' is a misnomer, the dates of that so called era are simply a fabrication from British historical events, not cultural or archeological as it should be, etc.
    So helmets in popular fiction is not worth getting too upset about really.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.