POLL: 6-month demo reveal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by duncan, Nov 2, 2013.

?

Should the 6 month demo have been revealed to backers before the general public?

1. Yes - they should share everything with all backers first

19 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. Yes - they should share everything with Dev+ backers first

20 vote(s)
    20.2%
  3. No - but they should have given their backers notice it would go to IGN first

22 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. No - they don't have to notify or tell their backers everything first

38 vote(s)
    38.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duncan

duncan Avatar

IGN got exclusive access to the much anticipated 6-month demo video and were able to reveal it to its audience -- and thus the general public -- prior to the backers of this project seeing it.

Although your votes are not displayed publicly, if you still don't want to vote here you can do it at:
    http://poll.pollcode.com/135848

Vote above and comment below.

BillRoy likes this.
  2. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

I said no, but it would have been courteous to let us know. I stumbled across it accidently on you-tube and was wondering why it didn't show up in the e-mail.

duncan and TigerKhan like this.
  3. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Hello current forum user too squishy and kitten to post this from your actual other SotA user account.

Great first post, forum double.

duncan likes this.
  4. TigerKhan

TigerKhan Avatar

Either way, we get to see a bit more in the town structuring and a walk in of the wizard's tower which I like, it's still in early development but it's looking good, anxious for the alpha in december

duncan likes this.
  5. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

I went with "No - they don't have to notify or tell their backers everything first"
    I dont think its even an issue. Its not relevant.
    thankyou, demo looking good!

duncan likes this.
  6. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

The choices in this poll are not constructed well since you used the word - everything - in the yes votes.

Also, it was hard for me to choose because this is what I would have voted for: Yes, I would have liked to have first access, but No Portalarium did not promise me that as a founder so they can actually do it as they want.

duncan and Isycle like this.
  7. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

The Devs can do nothing to cull Dev+ backer panic, every time LB does a fly-by.

I'm a Serf, I don't vote.;)

BillRoy and duncan like this.
  8. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

The voting options aren't very good. Someone needs to take a survey methodology class :)

duncan likes this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

You can't really blame someone for doing that. The environment here is skewed just a little towards blind faith on every subject concerning the development.

Really, just the fact that you're calling them out on it instead of focusing on the actual question is evidence enough of that.

duncan likes this.
  10. vjek

vjek Avatar

All they had to do was put a watermark in the corner of the video that said "Pre-Alpha Footage"

Which is what the feedback would have been from Dev+ prior to posting it, which would have avoided all much of the negative commentary from the general public.

Additionally, removing the combat scenes altogether may have been a wise choice, considering the current state, if the current state was not ready for public consumption. However, if the combat system was ready for public consumption, then just the watermark would have been fine. (and should be added to all future videos, pre-alpha/alpha, pre-beta/beta, pre-launch)

duncan likes this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

Vjek, I think you make a good point about marking the footage for new and casual followers that may be instantly turned off by one thing or another.

Even I was a little taken back at first by the graphics as I felt the houses looked very small and the characters movement was a little bit rigid in parts. Overall I always felt the video was very well done and showed great progress, but these areas initially bothered me. But as I've now watched the video 4 or 5 times I'm more and more impressed and less concerned than I was initially.

Showing this information over the long haul should be good for the health of the game though. There are a lot of features that are unique to this game, the focus on story telling and roleplaying (versus min/maxing) is probably the biggest. So if the goal of SotA is to increase awareness over the course of the next year, I'd say putting things like this on IGN is a very good way to do that.

duncan likes this.
  12. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

It's really their choice.

But I do think they have a sausage making problem with the combat system. I think there are huge inherent problems in existing combat systems but instead of presenting this as a solution to those, it’s just presented as random for no apparent reason.

duncan likes this.
  13. smack

smack Avatar

I orginally was gonig to vote "No - but they should have let their backers know it was going to IGN first", but then I thought about it again. The survey responses were odd but it actually made me think.

What if IGN or MMORPG got access to the Alpha first and gave that to their "Prime" subscribers to playtest a week beefore backers got it? So I changed my vote to be "Yes" because of that :)

duncan, BillRoy and Deathblow like this.
  14. duncan

duncan Avatar

"Everything" is just that. Do backers get to pick and choose what is revealed to the general public first? No, they don't. Just as they did with the 3-month demo at RTX, Portalarium could reveal the Alpha at some upcoming game convention and set up a booth for the general public to play without any obligation to revealing that to its backers first or giving them the Alpha first.

Anyone voting "Yes" believes that backers should get to see new things or have access to the game before the general public does. Anyone voting "No" believes that the general public can see it first or have access to the game first before any backers do.

15. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Think about that a second. You are going to give it 4 or 5 watches. The new guy they are trying to court, prolly not so much.

Marketing is about putting a strong message out, typically a strong positive message, to get people to like your brand.

Since the vast majority here are already invested, commenting on the video is silly at this point; however, it seems to have taken a slightly poor slant from the non-invested crowd.

We should all care about that. More people means the chance for more money, which means more development and potentially a better game.

All I am, and have been saying for many months, is that there are a large number of heavily invested people, with great passion and skillsets, and ideas, etc... that pledged at the DEV+ level to have a chance to help make the absolute best product Port can make, and that is still way under tapped.

And I admit, I personally dislike the way it is handled. We ask for more, and we get a blast of info.

Then we are sitting here blabbing back and forth in wild speculation, waiting, waiting, nothing to show, nothing to show, nothing to ... *BAM* new video pops up on IGN with not even half-done features.

That is doing no one a postive frankly.

duncan likes this.
  16. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

For me this more about PR than anything else. I would never expect something like this to be shared with backers in general or the Dev+ guys and gals.

I expect it is the Dev+ pleople who feel they should known about it due to the amount they have put into the project for that status. As a Dev+ member I don't think it would have hurt to have given notice in those forums that it was going to happen.

Luxuria and duncan like this.
  17. Kal Morte

Kal Morte Avatar

It's up to Portalarium who they reveal things to. The video was reposted on this forum within minutes, and on the official updates within 24 hours so I really don't see what the problem is. We all bitched about the combat system, but I don't think that would have stopped them from releasing the video to a mass media outlet like IGN. Any kind of publicity is good, and for every ten people who dismiss this game, there are a few that are now aware of SotA.

What is the point of this poll? Some of you people have a flare for the dramatic.

18. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

Well the Halloween treat given to us from LB, all some could do was wrinkel up their noses and say...Ahh candy corn:( but that isn't the worst of it.

Combat discussion is killed, dead, dry looted, cut into beef jurkey & bones scattered. Yea and banished, lol.

The CQB tactical forum will not skip a single beat. Ad hominem arguments will go on, even directed at the Devs.

RG will market this game! With or without your help, backers will tell him how to do that also. Good thing advice is free.

All in all (others see it tooo!) Until the Dog gets out of the Manger, discussions will not move forward.

Regards, Death

19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Sure, it's be nice to know it's coming but asking for it to be given to only the pledged first is a little selfish. We have either seen or read about everything in that video. The video is just them bringing it all together.

Deathblow likes this.
  20. Drocis the Devious

I thought about it. I disagree with you. The sky is not falling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.