(poll) Combat Deck System [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Brass Knuckles, Nov 28, 2014.

?

Tradition skill tree vs Deck system

1. 1. I like the concept of the deck system and want to see it threw.

57.5%
  2. 2. I like traditional skill trees /w skill point and static buttons

42.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

A macro that allows me to change my keybinds, or access a combo faster, or even one that lets me activate three or four different abilities in a fixed rotation is really just giving me access to more control over what my character does. That's really just me customizing my UI. Does me customizing my UI to fit my needs give me an advantage? Damn right it does, an awesome one that I have in every other aspect of my life. If I could customize the UI further, have it move and use abilities exactly as I direct, none of this messing about with a keyboard, if I could have the text-type work from my voice, that would be even more awesome. I don't think there's a single thing wrong with it. It's not like every other player does not have the EXACT same opportunity. You might as well complain that some players have more time to play, or more skill at playing, or are better at making friends in the online community.

What killed Rift was the patch that made single tree builds so VASTLY superior to hybrid builds, that instead of over four thousand possible design variations (a friend and I did the math during the betas), there were a whopping total of thirty six. I do believe the macro system in Rift could have used a BIT more restraint, but it didn't break the game. I didn't even REALLY mind when they changed my cleric build so that I couldn't use a two handed mace while tanking, but that day WAS a bit overpowered, I understand.

Now, on a totally unrelated note, a macro that lets the player outsource thinking and reacting, an "if then" macro that varies up its function based on player status or nature of target, which actually makes decisions for the player, or worse yet a macro that activates itself when the right conditions are met, those are stupid ideas. I am just trusting Portalarium not to include anything like that. It can remain the province of third party hacks.

2. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

In my eyes the combat system is failure.

Sir 'unadulterated & unrestricted' Hemlock

MalakBrightpalm and Joviex like this.
  3. Etheom

Etheom Avatar

I say let's see the deck combat system through, I love my hybrid deck and with a few tweaks it may be a revolutionary combat mode.

ThurisazSheol and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  4. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

The dev's will ensure we see it through.

From conception to... cremation.

It will go down on record as one of the worst dev decisions in video game history.

MalakBrightpalm and Joviex like this.
  5. Etheom

Etheom Avatar

So you would rather have the static button spam mechanic like all the other EverQuest clones? Surely there is a better solution.

Tahru likes this.
  6. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Not everyone has the know how to make macros nor desire fact is. Yu still get a competitive advantage that is FORCINg others to participate to be equivalent. Essentially forcing someone to play your way sounds the opposite of fun. Why should u get to call whats fair over anyone else. Maybe I want to do something that does combat faster and more efficient like actually be efficient not rely on a macro. To most people that is will called cheating anyway you slice it. You don't seem to accept the fact that a game that uses macros At ALL is a failed design concept cause it's a CRUTCH

Joviex likes this.
  7. Veylen The AenigmA

And another thing. Trying to pick and choose what macros are acceptable is going to be nigh impossible on one macro is allowed it's very hard to police what gets macroed and I'd rather devs spend their time just putting it in as a game function rather than leave it up to the player to self police which always fails

Point being if it's that great just put it ingame. Some players like making content for free but I'd prefer to get paid more than minimum wage for my work when the hours ratio is calculated it's a piss poor way to make money and a lot of people can't afford to goof all day having "fun". As cliche as it sounds a lot of ppl are too busy surviving to have fun

And again one big issue I have is them asking for our feedback and saying they are making the game for us but then don't seriously consider or make any changes unless it's already part of their pre conceived notion

The players that like the combat will stay if they change it or not, however those people that dislike it really hate it enough to stop playing so they are lowering their playerbase due to their rigid ideas

Joviex, Sir_Hemlock and Tahru like this.
  8. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Portalatium take no interest, and do not engage in dialogue with us regarding such issues. Alternatives are never discussed with us. We have no involvement.

As for combat, i have no interest in sotas combat system. I dont play it. I dont recommend it.

It could have been so much more. Very disappointing.

Veylen The AenigmA and Joviex like this.
  9. Veylen The AenigmA

See you are the exact kind of person I mentioned. And there are a lot of us who feel the same and get ignored while they pay lip service and claim in their chats when ppl ask questions they say that this and that are a good idea and will be implemented or looked into and then we hear nothing else about it. Most of the ideas they implenting are trivial filler.

They remind me of bioware and the latest dragon age ie in that game they removed healing when nobody had a problem with it and turned away from good ideas because they thought they knew best

I hope shroud doesn't fall into that category but t makes them look bad when there are more vocal critics of their combat system that nobody asked for. They said this is what we are gonna do and then vociferous RG supporters who think he can do no wrong just try their hardest to justify it and denying the reality that it could have been implanted more like the normal standards and then gradually change it and mix and match the two ideas instead of going off the deep end and go all in on an unproven concept with little support.

Maybe the Ui focus is intended as we all know the onscreen action is bland and dull, boring. It is like uo I'll give them that but in a bad way

Joviex and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  10. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Veylen, i know what you are talking about and agree 100%. Regards.

Veylen The AenigmA and Joviex like this.
  11. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Again w/ the binary polls... What's the point of these? I don't really like either option. Something like full-on combat in the Gothic games (it's not really any "twitchier" than what this deck system is shaping up to be), or a turn-based tactical hybrid is more to my preference.

12. Veylen The AenigmA

Exactly why don't they just take the best ideas and make their own unique system instead of sticking to this rigid idea that obviously is not panning out. Combine the targeting of Tera with the class system similar to rift etc on and on.

Taking the best ideas from other games is what made wow so popular not re inventing the wheel.

Joviex likes this.
  13. Macarius

Macarius Avatar

Without getting emotional, i would say the deck system, while a nice idea is not practical. I personally loathe it, for most of the reasons people stated above. So much so that i play the game for less than 30 minutes at a time as it is now. Bottom line in a game like this combat has to be fun, and guess what; it isn't. Fun people, lets circle back to fun please.

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

i would go so far as to say let it be transparent and useful. Let it be so transparent that the fun is the actual combat against the person. The deck system itself doesn't need to be fun.

I think the deck system has this potential but it needs to be refined more for that to materialize. In its most basic form it is very simple. You get coppies of the glyphs and you use them as you need them. If the combining and stacking is removed we will have made a huge step towards transparency... in that the deck system while constantly feeding us the skills we need, simply facilitates combat rather than being a minigame.

Joviex likes this.
  15. Veylen The AenigmA

Yeah to me it looks and plays like a crap iOS game this far. The combat is non visceral. Too hitboxy and the menu is even more wonky.

I told them I'd reserve critique until it was more fleshed out and it seems their base mechanics are mostly implimented.

I still don't see why they went so far in this one direction it's like their have tunnel vision. In mass pvp or pve I see it being a nightmare to design any decent encounters with this system. Why not take the best things already out there and incrementally push their concept instead of going full bore.

their deception level is amazing they say that they make the game we want and thank us profusely and expect us to pony up cash early, and a lot of cash, as a good faith gesture that they will take to heart every concern and change where people want it not where they think it needs it.

nearly 50% of people disapproving of combat is huge, and the over 50% that DO APPROVE of the current system arent rating it on current merrits they are doing it based on what they hope or expect the combat to turn out to be. its likely more like half of those 50% would vote against it if they were voting under the correct pre conceptions instead of wishfull thinking.

ive heard of companies not listening to customers, but not on a good faith gesture game where they tout that we have the ability to influence development. it seems like a greedy cash grab imo.

on what planet is it OK for nearly HALF of your playerbase to utterly reject your combat system? those are would be paying customers that will quit likely after they see the combat finished in a hurry with nothing but hopes and dreams of what the combat system was supposed to be.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I was following along with you until that last part where you said what the people who voted for the system probably were thinking. I really don't like that type of speech. There is not basis for making a claim like this because it is based upon pure speculation.

That being said I did vote for the deck system because I have found it to be far more potent than using a static deck, but if I had to vote on it based on the current version of the deck system I would vote against it... why?... because of the stacking and the combining of glyphs. That's my only reason I dislike the deck system in its current form.

The stacking and combining to create combination glyphs is stressful over time and it causes me to micromanage my deck like a minigame. As it stands we are forced to stack the glyphs if we are playing a pure mage especially. This is no good.

Nevertheless, don't put words in my mouth without having proof please. Here's the proof though, I would vote against the deck system in its current state. BETTER YET... if there was a scale of one to ten, with ten being perfect, I would rate the deck system a 3 in its current state. It is currently annoying and unplayable while stacking and combos are still there. Since my feedback has been noted by now I am done giving feedback on the deck system (good or bad) until they remove stacking and combos. I won't be defending it anymore, nor will I say anything negative about it (until there is a change). Let the community's feelings be heard.

licemeat likes this.
  17. Veylen The AenigmA

How did I put words in your mouth I offered up my own opinions based of scientific studies of human nature being of the sort that people tend to see what they want to see, it's called denial and fanboys. I've seen it in every mmorpg since I started playing them before most people here were born.

Look at every major mmo. People have held out hope despite all the evidence that their world was crumbling. even devs succumb to this that's why games fail. It's a pretty basic Observation anyone that has played mmos can see

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  18. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Agreed, this static deck system is nothing more than a WoW-ish hotbar (skillbar?) with global cooldowns, very generic and not innovative. However, the dynamic deck is even worse... I stopped playing new releases awhile back once it became apparent (to me anyways) that these deck thingies were staying put for the long haul, in more or less their current implementation. I really wish they would have taken more input on such a critical system before going all out with it instead of mostly focusing on houses and other game "fluff" to appease a minority of their highest profile/most vocal and biggest $$ backers. This combat system is not fun, IMO.

Sir_Hemlock and licemeat like this.
  19. Veylen The AenigmA

Have you noticed anyone treating u different than lowbie pledges?

mikeaw1101 likes this.
  20. Awkwward

Awkwward Avatar

There are plenty of people like me, who have not played this game ever since we learnt how to combo.
    There should be a 3rd option in this poll, because this current combat system is not balanced at all, i can auto attack from 10 to 150.. randomly.. doing nothing other than auto attack, so clearly this balance is way off.
    Either way, i don't like the black jack deck system for combo's..
    You have to play the Hearthstone slug system just to use combo's.. and that's trash to me, i haven't played since i spent a weekend learning and playing the open deck system.

I came to these forums to see if any changes had happened, or any info was being shared, and lucked upon this poll.

I know a heap of other people in my boat who just simply stopped playing after learning combos, we tried the deck system, we played with it for a while, and we just gave up on it.
    It's not fun.
    They don't frequent these forums or even view them to my understanding, so they wouldn;t even be taking part in this poll.
    I noticed this poll isn't even on steam either, or a link to it to make everyone aware of this poll.

The only people who like this system appear to be PVE people, and those that are kinda lazy, who stand still and press the numbers, and watch their bar.. while kinda ignoring the fight that is happening.
    They find the Deck system is a puzzle game in itself and find amusement in it, they will be the casual who plays from time to time.
    I have met only 2 people who are using the deck system and pvp with it, and they don't even like it, they use it because they want to use combo's, and it's got nothing to do with the mana consumption.

I personally don't think a mini-card game like a hearthstone is a good mechanic for a combat system.
    I know a bunch of other people who think the same, we all have not played the game for a while now, and are hoping that the deck system either gets a major update, or is overhauled to something new.

Im not going to suggest anything to replace it, because why should i.. this is feedback..

For those of you who are defending this slug combat and are insulting the PVP people who think differently to you, i noticed all of you have alot in common, and across multiple forum threads you give bad advice and cryptic replies and will most likely drag this game down into just another game that sits along side Age of Conan and others.
    The fun in combat should be the combat..

It seems the PVE people are going to get everything they ask for in this game, and they even get their own little puzzle games while they are engaged in combat, all they need now is moddable UI's to put up pictures of their cat and all those other things from world of warcraft, so they can look at them all day while they do their dayly quests instead of roaming around the big sandbox world and creating their own dayly by day.
    The PVP people just seem to get nothing other than a basic duel system, because the optional PVP thing is crap, but then again it's still alpha.. and we can all see this game being in alpha for years to come.

I don't even care that much for PVP, but this game was advertised on the back of Ultima Online.. and it's nothing like it.. and is increasingly moving away from anything like it.. and the FORBES comments and articles are wrong and probably know nothing about UO or this game for them to have made htose comments.. why they are posted on the front page of this website i have no idea.. it's just fake.
    The PVE people will get their UO version of World of Warcraft.. and hte rest of us will be bored out of our brain and play casualy until the next game comes along then we will be gone periodically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.