[Poll] Self-Inflicted Damage [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Betamox, Feb 22, 2014.

?

Should Players Be Able to Injure Themselves?

1. Yes, Players Should Be Able to Damage Themselves.

91.5%
  2. No, Players Should Not Be Able to Damage Themselves.

8.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

Obviously falling from greater heights should cause damage and possibly kill you (LotRO for example had you "break" your leg which would cause you to move slower and limp for a few seconds). Any AOE/Explosion effects should also damage you (they did in UO, which caused interesting decision effects of when to use them or to use them for Resist training).

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  2. Owain

Owain Avatar

In this respect, I think if it is realistic, it should happen. If I detonate an explosion potion in my hand, I should be injured, if not killed. Anything else makes no sense at all.

3. Ragnabrock

Ragnabrock Avatar

I agree that falling, summoning demons, accidentally blowing yourself up should all hurt or kill you. I don't agree with hitting yourself with your own spell. The idea that a character would "accidentally" cast an offensive spell on themselves seems unlikely in the extreme. It'd be on par with turning a long rifle around and accidentally shooting your self in the face when you meant to shoot a person in front of you.

Jivalax Azon, docdoom77 and NRaas like this.
  4. smack

smack Avatar

Very good point. If I could offer one way to mitigate this would be to tie it to virtues in some way and/or cause other permanent negative side effects of this. That would put this into the risk/reward category.

5. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

Definitely should be able to harm yourself with spells and AOE...however since friendly fire is not going to in the game, I doubt that self inflicted wounds would be possible as well. Also, if it was possible then Duke Frank would be correct that it should not be exploitable for personal gain.

6. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I'm all for risk of self-harm.

If I'm not mistaken, there are seperate spells for Summoning a Demon and Controlling a Demon for a reason. I believe there is intentionally planned risk.

Setting off an explosive should run the risk of hurting the person who set it off as well.

Running through environmental hazards (fire, lava, etc.) should hurt.

Jumping off a cliff should hurt or kill.

Casting a harm spell on yourself is an odd case however. I think the ability shouldn't be able to be activated on a friendly target.

As for Sir Frank's concerns of exploits, don't allow resistence skills to be trained by intentionally hurting yourself. I'd like to remove all macroing for leveling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.