Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Poll to return the old harvesting bar

Discussion in 'Release 47 Feedback Forum' started by Scoffer, Oct 26, 2017.

?

Old style or New?

1. Give us our bar back

33.3%
  2. I like the circle

56.1%
  3. I don't care either way but need to say stuff

10.6%
  4. I'm a compulsive button pusher

7.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

So, do you prefer the fancy new circle or the actually visible bar?

2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I actually don't mind if its a circle or a bar, I just want to be able to move it. The bar could be moved. If I had to pick one, the bar was better, because it was more visible and less in the way.

FrostII likes this.
  3. Sway

Sway Avatar

I don't understand why it was even changed. Circle or bar don't really matter to me but why is it in the middle of my screen and why is it so bright? The color is bright yellow and then you succeed or fail and it bright red or bright green. It's really not that exciting. The bright red is like it's yelling at me that I fail or green is yelling at me that I made it, again not that exciting. A simple yes/No will work for me. I bet it's worse in a cave (haven't mined yet)

4. Undone

Undone Trap Master Moderator SOTA Developer

The old bar was not movable - which is one of the main reasons it was changed (see below).
    I've had a task on me for quite some time to make the resource harvesting bar movable or present in the world. Unfortunately accomplishing said task is not as simple as it sounds. The reason being that when the resource bar is not present, then there is no way to move it because there is nothing to grab on to. And creating an anchor of any sort is unsightly when the resource bar is not present. Moving the resource bar into the world poses other challenges such as: making it look good, making it easy for the designers to pick where the bar is displayed for different resource types, making the bar visible from all viewing angles (3rd person, first person, over the shoulder, all panning angles, etc). Instead we opted to put the gathering bar in a place that is less likely to get covered by things like chat, inventory, or character windows while making it more compact. The colors are all identical to how they were previously but now that the "bar" that fills is a bit thicker then the colors may appear brighter - either way your feedback appreciated and we will take a closer look at the colors.

5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I am pretty sure I moved the old bar - there's a chance I am hallucinating this, but I did it unintentionally once and it was hidden behind my hotkey buttons for a long time.
    If there's a technical reason why it can't be moved, could we at least perhaps put it lower to the ground nearer to the thing or thing(s) you are actually gathering / above your skill bar.
    I'm not sure what the limitation is, but could this not be 'hooked' to the skill deck perhaps . I'm not sure why that particular UI window wouldn't be draggable (I still SWEAR I moved it before)
    At the moment, if I kill a pack of wolves for example or anything, the circle 'fights' with all the 'name text' which are the same green/yellow which results in having to point my camera at the sky to see the percentage.

Again, I have no objection to the circularness, just the center-of-my-screen-ness. The circle's actually quite nifty.

6. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

The circle design is fine, I just would change some minor things; like leave only the number and move the circle above the node nameplate.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  7. Undone

I like the idea of moving the text below the progress indicator. I also like the idea of removing the word "chance" - but players unfamiliar with the system would have no way of knowing what that number meant =/

Rada Torment likes this.
  8. Undone

It not being movable and potentially getting lost behind things is why it was moved to a more central position. Unfortunately the progress indicator is in UI space meaning that it has no idea where / what you are looking at (like all other UI elements, minus nameplates) which means that we can't really move it relative to the resource you are gathering. And in regards to anchoring it to your skill bar: that is another possibility we explored but since the upper combat bar can be toggled off when not in combat then the resource gathering UI would shift depending on if those cards were shown - which would render the position of the progress bar inconsistent.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  9. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Its fine :) glad you liked.

I just wanted to post the edited image as a possible change reference, but I think the base design is good if your idea is to continue working on the UI overhaul for future releases.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I hate it.

manufacturedsoul and Sway like this.
  11. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

I just would change the entire harvesting system which is one of the most boring i've ever seen !

If you need inspiration look at : the forest and Osiris new dawn (both are unity made games).

12. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

This is why modern games (and quite a few old games) with dynamic UI usualy have an extra "UI Settings option" in the options menu where one can move arround "frames" for each UI panel/element and then save to some .xml/.lua file or whatever.
    Solves many problems and every player can move things arround however he wants to.

But this late in development it could be a fun task to add such an feature :p

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    nonaware likes this.
  13. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

just wrote and posted almost the same thing lol

GrayFog likes this.
  14. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

I don't really have an issue with the change other than it needs higher res images unless its some oddness on my end.

I still want the status/hp bars to be moveable

GrayFog likes this.
  15. Undone

This was also discussed but is unfortunately requires a lot more development time.

16. Sway

Sway Avatar

so people where covering it and then complaining about it being covered ?

17. Sway

Sway Avatar

scenario one. I walk up on a group of fighter and wolves, I kill them all loot the fighters and then harvest the wood. wile harvesting I'm also scanning and plotting what to harvest next. Most likely it's the cotton bush over there then on to skinning if there is no ore in the area. The bar in the middle of my screen not only draws my eyes to it all the time but makes it harder for me to plot.
    scenario two. I'm in Crag Foothills, I killed a few undead looted and moved to the pine tree to chop that bad boy down. Wile chopping I'm scanning that hill for that large ambush spawn of undead that can occur. I want to get the jump on that right away if I want o survive it. But there is a bar in the middle of my field of vision.
    scenario three. Kill a pack of wolves standing in on place and watch the placement of the bar get lost in all the Elder Wolves Corpses.
    The reality is when I'm out adventuring I'm also harvesting. I pick zones not only based on what I'm going to fight but also what I can harvest. If you take the time I play in an adventure zone you will find that if you harvest 90% of everything you encounter you will spend a great deal of time with that bar in the middle of the screen and your eyes drawn to it. I would much rather watch my avatar chop that tree or mine that ore. Where the bar was before it was only something I looked at when I wanted to look at it. Now I feel forced. http://sotawiki.net/images/a/ae/Maple_tree.jpg

Elwyn likes this.
  18. Sway

Sway Avatar

I fully appreciate the fact that you spent the time and energy to try to come up with a new bar wile keeping all the little things in mind. I would love it if you can allow us to move it out of the way, top, bottom, left or right I can make due with any of them

19. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

My first feeling was that I didn't like the round version, but partly because I was first using a lower-res display and the one-pixel text outline didn't show up, so the text was hard to read where it overlapped the circle.

After thinking about it for a while, I noticed there is always a "Harvesting xxxx" text above the circle that was as wide as the bar would have been anyhow. In other words, there was no reason to make it round to save space, on top of overlapping the "xx% chance" text for no good reason.

And today I realized that when I'm harvesting, usually I'm looking at the bottom of the screen anyhow, because your character is usually kneeling or bending over during this, so your attention is already at the bottom of the screen. I suppose it makes a difference that I usually go in cursor mode and right-click to move the camera, because I'm not using that big X over my head to target things.

I don't mind it being in the middle of the screen, but I don't like it as a circle. I can't think of a good user experience reason to make it a circle, especially given the mostly horizontal layout of the screen nearby with the "Harvesting xxxx" text above it, and also that it kind of fits better with the HP bars we have above avatars/NPCs.

20. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The shoe that fits one pinches another, there is no recipe for life that fits all.- Carl Jung Some people prefer the new way, some people prefer the old way. I personally don't care either way. On some things your just going to have to make the game you want to make.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.