Population feels like it’s flat lined again.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Sep 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I'm waiting for Episode 2... I want to quest... :(

2. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Right, it's the overall trend list that's of importance. I've never played SOTA via Steam, but I have stopped playing as of this release due to the insane nerfs.

3. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Most all other MMO’s also had a much much higher developmen budget than SotA. Like Blizzard, NCSoft, Bethesda....

Floors likes this.
  4. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Ya ya I know all this I’ve been playing mmos a long time. Started in 1997 played the first mmo who also had a small budget. I’m not even sure why we are discussing budget.

Where that started all this:

MMO
    noun
    1. an online video game which can be played by a very large number of people simultaneously.
    I expect sota does meet that requirement it CAN be played by a very large number of people ;)

Does very large =200-300? here we go back to the undefinable numbers thing.

5. Harry Online

Harry Online Avatar

i have 88hrs logged....in 1 month from Steam.....but the past week i have been playing Classic WoW...SOTA is a very beautiful looking fun amazing game made by a great team and i will never stop playing or supporting it. But so many mmo's/games releasing soon For Holiday season: Fall...Winter...Christmas....etc.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Hire a UI contractor for a few months, just for giggles. See what happens!

7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

What mmos are up n coming besides wow classic. “Never Againer” here for wow1 I tried to play again once got the latest expansion logged in for 5 mins threw up in my mouth and asked for a refund.

8. Nick

Nick Avatar

What would you consider to be fun?

Asking as i log in mostly to chat and relax (mining then crafting). Since I am not much of a gamer, I am curious what exactly is supposed to be fun in a MMO.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  9. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

the game is Meh ……..right now, I'm not much of a crafter and the loot scale sucks, bunch of crap nothing exciting. So I've stopped playing for awhile hoping this game by some miracle gets better. I know a lot of others that have done the same too much of the same ole same ole. If you are a crafter/grinder this game is great for you.

Senash Kasigal and Hornpipe like this.
  10. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Only a little off topic (but related) .. I hope SOTA hangs in there, and I think it will, as it is getting better all the time. I've noticed over recent releases a better focus on performance, interface tweaks, some added depth and richness with artefacts, new crafting stuff, new zones coming in etc. We seem to be over the hump and the game is now pulling its nose up so to speak. If they get the new land, importantly the new quest system and item affinities AND time all this with a marketing reboot (which surely MUST be on the cards for E2?) then I think the population should significantly increase. And once it does the increased funding and gamer awareness will support further features, and then we're on for a ride good and proper.

Lorfyyr and Astirian like this.
  11. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

I hear you, but then you see posts like the archery nerf that has half the population arguing with the other half, the permission system still needs work, the bugs this release and it still makes me scratch my head.

12. Drilikath

Drilikath Avatar

Change after change we get weaker as forced group play is attempted.. Does not work annoys 50%+ of the community and then people leave. Classic PORT move.. So many years of this... Meanwhile Episode 2 is ????? Bought a reservation for overworld reservation

Episode 2 Player Owned Town Overland Upgrade Reservation

2018-09-18 15:52:50

5 days and its been a year.. and we are still sitting here...

Also the bug list is HUGE meanwhile lets add some new garbage that we dont need yet...

But whatever Port, you do you, and I will go find something else to play, Screw being a origonal Kickstarter and owning a town and everything else, the game just sucks now...

Godra likes this.
  13. Godra

Godra Avatar

Story drives this game, but done with episode 1 and episode 2 is just taking too long. Attracting new players didn’t happen and now they are failing to retain the current player base. Not sure if they can last long term at this point.

14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

That might be true for you, but I completely ignored the story content of shroud. The ui, bugs, lack of creativity, lack of tracking glitches in the journal and at least 15 other things it’s a only do for me if there is a deed involved.

Mishikal likes this.
  15. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

Actually the most efficient way to improve the UI is to open up the UI elements to the public. Because players can spend hours and hours just working on this one thing.

Player created UI will always be vastly superior, because of the massive amount of time people will spend and they know how the game and systems work.

I know they want to eventually do this, but will take time to implement it.

Cordelayne, smack, Ostvel and 3 others like this.
  16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I agree. Although I'm not just talking looks, but functionality. I'd like to SEE when I get a drop I like, not just find out later. Are we going to be able to do that? Totally rebuild the crafting UI? The inventory? Or do they need to hire someone to get the framework ready, someone that understands UI?

And on a side note:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fmre-08uMn7RBMdhj_d-m93TzAsdKsffKEFfE70v2xc/edit?usp=sharing

Sulaene Moon likes this.
  17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

This is the thing keeping me away from doing a second play through. I like running around doing the quests, even if it isn't the best writing I've ever seen. Even if there is no NPC character development. Even if the designer put in a stupid Gotcha with those kids, instead of giving you a chance to make a really tough decision.

But I'll never do it again with that crappy looking UI. Yes, they increased the font size. I'm glad for that, that'll hopefully be good for people coming in. And it makes me less aggravated when I do have to interact with an NPC for a few moments.

But no way I'm doing a second playthrough with fugly UI, even with a bigger font.

Sulaene Moon likes this.
  18. Harry Online

Harry Online Avatar

this month

MMO: Astellia and Archeage Unchained....i preordered both Legendary Gold Editions
    https://www.astellia-mmo.com/home

Games: Borderlands 3, Ghost Recon Breaking Point, Control, etc. etc

19. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I would caution against Korean MMOs. While SOTA has the ENDLESS grind, a Korean MMO someone makes their grind seem longer than endless. Also frequently they implement pay2win that directly impacts your power. Archeage had this problem at release.

Astellia does seem to get PVP right, unlike SOTA "PvP Accessible & Griefless
    Compete for bragging rights and gear in the fast paced heart pumping arena, or team up and brawl against the masses in an epic scale three way faction battle within the dedicated PvP zone of Avalon."

Dedicated PVP zones ONLY, arena action ONLY, compete for bragging rights and I'm sure ONLY cosmetic pvp gear, since griefless. SOTA misses on pvp with all regards. SOTA PVP is the absolute worst of any MMO I ever played. It takes the worst of every game and somehow combines it into a torture chamber of PVP.

Korean MMOs graphic style also very flashy, bright, and over stimulated. I didn't like playing any of them for long. SOTA graphics actually better imo.

I've been playing Mordhau when I find the time, LOVING IT!

20. eli

eli Avatar

Sota serves as a lesson that it doesn't matter how devoted your fans, or how solid your game performs, how much freedom/customization you are allowed, how addictive you make the playstyle, etc. If fundamentally the game part of an online game is not enjoyable enough, it is doa, because it lacks growth.

This has been really enlightening to me developing my own game, and I hope the lessons are not lost on the team and I get to play their next game.

HoustonDragon, raxxus and Cordelayne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.