Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Possible memory leak on overworld?

Discussion in 'Release 34 Bug Forum' started by Elwyn, Sep 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

9/19/2016 12:07 PM
    Title: Possible memory leak on overworld?
    Reproduction Rate:
    Blocker? no
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8) System RAM: 24483
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti GPU RAM: 1974
    SotA.EarlyAccess.Win.64.393.Date.09.16.16
    Area: Novia
    Loc: (336.7, 12.4, -397.0)

(Note: this is an old problem that I have been trying to narrow down during R33)

Details:
    Every time I enter Ardoris, the total memory used goes down sliightly (10M-99M) and every time I leave Ardoris for Novia, the total memory used goes up every time by 200M-350M, for a net gain of about 100M-300M more used per cycle.

Increased memory use eventually causes a large amount of memory to be used by the process, which leads to the freezing/pausing/"hitching", and eventually a crash when changing scenes.

novia 7136M
    ardoris 7066M
    novia 7289M
    ardoris 7247M
    novia 7603M
    ardoris 7504M
    novia 7704M
    ardoris 7695M
    novia 7899M
    ardoris 7809M
    novia 8033M

EDIT: it crashed sooner than I expected...
    ardoris 8005M
    novia 8518M
    ardoris 8229M
    novia CRASHED 8745M
    and that last number was the first to go over 8GiB or 0x2 0000 0000 bytes
    ...now I'll have to do it again to check for the pauses, but I want to try R34 performance on "The Potato" laptop first

Steps to Reproduce:
    I've been going into and out of Ardoris repeatedly, and noting the amount of memory in the "Private Working Set" according to Task Manager after waiting a few seconds for the number to stabilize.

Note: I currently have the pagefile turned off to see if it somehow can reduce the effects of the freeze-ups every few seconds. I now think the answer is "no", and that the freeze-ups are indirectly related to memory problems caused by the memory leak. Part of the reason I see the pauses when others may not is that when I exit the game, I only exit back to the login screen, which keeps the leaked memory around.

Iin R33 I watched the CPU usage graphs while playing, and the puauses would show one core spike (busy wait? garbage collection?) while the other three cores had a corresponding anti-spike (blocked?) I haven't yet seen this behavior in R34, but I still haven't yet reached the point where the pauses become noticeable.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  2. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I tried going into another scene for a while, and when I came out, the memory usage in Novia was 100M less than before I went in. So the leaks may actually be due to Ardoris.

And I still haven't gotten the freeze-ups to happen yet. I saw one or two isolated pauses, but not the annoying every-eight-seconds stuff. Last week I was pretty sure they were an indirect result of too much memory leakage, so they could actually maybe be gone.

3. Attenwood

Attenwood Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

The memory leak issue is known. We are still investigating and working on a resolution. Thank you for reporting!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.