Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Private Preston: Everybody is Sparkling - it's confusing ...

Discussion in 'Quests, Conversations, & NPC's' started by Paladin Michael, May 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

05/23/2019 18:04
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? --
    Details/Steps to Reproduce:

Talking to Private Preston we get the information that he needs some help to calm down.
    Running up the hill, every Soldier is waving sparkles ...

Talking to them, no information is given, why.
    1. Captain Kinsey gives no clue after "help", also Corporal Harvey, who just says if we've asked others.
    2. We have to enter "Preston" to receive the quest.

--> It's really confusing.
    If a new player runs up the hill and does not think about Preston later, nobody will try to enter his name.

If a new player enters the first time there are so many keywords to ask (also sparkles!), so it could look like a bug, after you did everything for a soldier (Kinsey) and (s)he's still sparkling.
    (I know, the help button provides the name Preston, but unfortunately not with every soldier).

3. Only a few soldiers show the keyword 'Preston' after we have asked about 'help'.

I would consider to not show sparkling for this quest, until we confirmed to help Preston and got the task to tell Preston to calm down ...

Or may be only ONE soldier could give the quest infomation about Preston, like Lieutenant Corliss?

4. After I did the quest and calmed down Preston, the soldiers, also Lieutenant Corliss, are still waving sparkles ...

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8) System RAM: 16335
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GPU RAM: 6052
    SotA.QA.Win.64.831.Date.05.22.19
    Area: Novia_R1_Forest04_01
    Area Display Name: Solace Bridge Outskirts
    Loc: (-93.3, 34.6, 130.3)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjFfRm9yZXN0MDRfMDF8fCgtOTMuMzQ5LCAzNC42NDgsIDEzMC4yOTQpfCgwLCAwLjgzMSwgMCwgMC41NTcpfDQ0OC43MDkzfDMwLjAyNjY2fDM=

2. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

@Paladin Michael , did you do the quests previously and completed all the quests in the area.

When I went there I didn't have any sparkly blue hands and just picked a solder. I spoke to Kinsey, but didn't ask for help. I went to a soldier, I clicked on help and he told me about Preston. I don't think I got a quest. But the soldier told me to talk to Preston in his dialogue. I might have gotten a keyword for Preston after the soldier mentioned him, my log shows a Preston keyword being used. And there werent' any sparklies on the guys after I talked to Preston either.

3. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Yes, I did all quests.

They are not sparkling all the (same) time!

4. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

However, I logged into a character I have on a different account. That character is just a baby, having only done a couple of the outskirts. I went to Solace Bridge OUtskirts (I have done the quests but didn't get the banner of love) and there were a lot of sparklies. I talked to Corploral Harvey first. He had sparklies. I talked to him but he didn't know about Preston (no initial response and no keyword; I din't ask him about Preston as I pretended to not know about the quest). Then I went to Kinsey. Ditto. He told be about the banner of love (which I didn't get before) and gave me the quest to see Stanley (not sure if I had it before or not). After getting the banner of love, all the sparklies went away. I tried a couple of other soldiers but they didn't tell me about Preston. I found a soldier, Archibald, that still had sparklies. I spoke with him. His text said to ask about help. When I did he told me about Preston. When I finished the conversation, he still had sparklies. But as I was entering this commnet, they went away. I didn't get any quest though. There also isn't a journal entry (at least there wasn't one this time).

I velieve the sparklies are tied to the animation state. When they are just standing around, arms by their sides, there isn't any sparklies. If I come near them, they begin to wave and I see sparklies. Somehow I have to trigger their animation. Or is it the other way around and the animation is triggered by my presence? If their state changes, I either get the sparklies (if they were just standing) or vice versa (sparklies if I can trigger a state change).

You only get the quest if you ask the guard about Preston. If I leave after the guard telling me I should talk to Private Preston, I don't get the quest (and Preston doesn't respond with the calm down text when you go to talk to him). You hae to click on the Preston keyword to et the quest. I might hav ebeen able to say calm down, but I didn't try.

Steps:
    1) go to Solace Bridge Outskirts.
    2) Walk around. Lots of sparklies appeared by default.
    3) I talked to Harvey first. No response about Preston. (I didn't try the help keyword.)
    4) I talked to Kinsey next. He responded with information about the Banner of Love , deeds (I already had the deed from a different outskirts), and a quest to Report to Stanley. Nothing about Preston and I didn't use the help keyword here).
    5) All the sparklies went away (but I noticed that the guards were now standing at attention, they didn't want to wave at me).
    6) Tried Lucius next. Same as the others. (No sparklies as I approachedm but his wave state wasn't triggered.
    7) Went over to Archibald, He was willing to wave at me. I talked to him.
    8) While talking to Archibald, I clicked on the help keyword.
    9) He told me that he was worried about Private Preston. (No quest was given to me yet.) Since I knew about the quest I just left thinking that I triggered the flag.
    10) During this time I noticed that I could trigger different states for the soldiers. Sometime they would wave at me, Sometime they would just stand there, not waving. I would get the sparklies when they waved, but not when they were just standing there.
    11) I went to Preston and started a conversation.
    12) He didn't start the calm down conversation. I might have been able to trigger it if I typed in 'calm down". There also wasn't a calm down keyword (prbably shouldn't be one).
    13) I went back to the soldiers. Spoke to a couple, but they didn't know about Preston. (I might have been able to trigger them using help, but I didn't try.
    14) I went back to Archibald and either typed in POreston or used a keyword (probably the former based on the log).
    15) Using the Preston keyword triggered a quest for me to see Preston.
    16) I went to Preston and the conversation about 'calming down' was triggered automatically.
    17) I got the emote
    18) I went back to the main camp and tried to trigger the sparklies.
    19) There weren't any sparkliess when I appeared at the main camp (after getting the emote).
    20) I couldn't get any sparklies to trigger.

5. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Are you saying the soldiers aren't waving and sparkling at the same time? If so, that appears to be what I saw as well. (my big post just after your last post.) The soldiers appear to move between two states: standing with arms at sides and waving. Not sure what triggers the waving state tho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.