Problem with trolls ingame and in the forums

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Edward Newgate, Apr 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

Interresting point. But its not you should ignore a person allways.
    FIrst if some comes and kill some one on an evenat, say like a importent person. I dont see this as a problem or trolloing :) open pvp is part of the game. I think you see i the same way? :)
    Having evil charakters in game is cool. so i think we igree on that.

But and here i see for me a differenc.
    Say if a person allways every singel time comes to this events with the attantion to brake them , this takes the fun away for the peaple wouldnt it?. Atleas for me it would be a problem.

Talking is importent. And the first thing you should do is talking. But some times talktin does nothing. and i sayd in my main post speak with the event planning player what you planning.
    There are many ways.

Its how and how often somthing like that happens.

For me i dont have a problem to get killed or atack from other peaple if am question. Thats part of the game and the best enemy are other players ingame.
    What i wouldnt like to have is if some kills you every time at the same moment you log in. so i cant the game any more. I think this would be wrong? Yes this is somthing you maby would think is ok since every player is allowed how they play as you said, but at the same time this wouldnt be fun for the other player. When your playstyle offent others shouldnt be both partys try to find a way to co exist? :)

Iam not against a special typ of a play style but iam against harresing.

Tahru likes this.
  2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I thought he was referring more specifically to people who are doing what they can to anger people, just for the sake of being annoying and angry.
    Theres one person in particular who claimed if everyone would turn off their PvP flags he would leave them alone. I did that very thing because when i didnt wanna die, i woudl turn it off. I was met with lots of insults.

There's even been the types who try really hard to tick people off jsut to get a fight out of hem. While there's nothign wrong with wanting a fight, its the disrespect that i think Thomas is adressing. Not the PvP

Arianna, Hraw, Dinsoo [MGT] and 9 others like this.
  3. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

I dont think this has somthing to do with trolling. PvP is realy great :) and i realy enjoy open pvp to :)
    In that case its not about loosing or winning a good fight :)

Tahru likes this.
  4. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

if a player is able to continuely harrass and disrupt someones event then maybe there is something wrong with the game? more to the point, it's not even a game yet, it clearly states construction zone when you log in, my real issue is the jump to conclusion that there is an element of trolling taking place here and as many differences as I have had with some here and there approach I wouldn't wish them the label of troll, nor would I wish it for my self for having disagreed with someone, because most often that's what trolling boils down to, a dissagreeance. I know you meant well with all of this, I dislike it because I see it as alarmist and unnessicary, something capable of creating trolls where there are none.

Miracle Dragon and Tahru like this.
  5. TantX

TantX Avatar

But to that person, raiding and pillaging is their playstyle. The mechanics allow for it.

I've been a part of a lot of different taverns in Felucca settings on UO. That meant raiders, PKers, Shadowclan orcs and the like coming to raid us. Some were RPers, some weren't. Either way, visitors and townsfolk and mercenaries alike banded together and fought them. It created a unifying experience. People who never talked before or maybe didn't know each other well, or might've even disliked each other, now stood shoulder to shoulder in formation to repel the enemy. It was amazing.

Game mechanics should allow for some things, like tournaments that can't be interfered with, sure. I think it takes a lot out of the improv interactions and role-play, but I think that's what the bulk of this particular community wants. Something a little more structured and less improvised, chaotic. But it's a slippery slope to throw around the "troll" title; it's an issue this particular community has a hard time with.

Sophi, Gix, Tahru and 1 other person like this.
  6. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

So you mean the term trolling is wrong. Iam glad for you you didnt account a behavior of other peaples wich where wrong or hindert your way to paly or did messeed up you play style. I have nor problem personally with any one here :) it was only what iam watching and seeing for my self.
    IF you wont i can change the word trolling or clrear it up that this has nothting to do with the right for some doing open pvp at ther best :)
    just tell me :)

Tahru and Moonshadow like this.
  7. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I think it's fine, I think this thread has gone somewhere positive.

Tahru likes this.
  8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

hahaha how compassionate of you :)

Tahru likes this.
  9. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

You will find trolls in all online games.
    My first experience with a troll in SotA was the following:

I decided to attend one of Net's pvp tournaments a few months ago as a spectator. I was a bit late so most people were already sitting down on the steps. As I tried to go up to the top to find a seat, some A-hole kept casting the wind (gust?) spell that knocks the target back, throwing me back down before I could get to the nearest empty seat. I tried again about 2 or 3 more times, and the same A-hole knocked me down. I didn't say anything... I simply left and haven't attended a PvP tournament since. The best way to deal with trolls is to ignore them and avoid them :)

Chatele, Tahru, FrostII and 1 other person like this.
  10. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

Thats not n1, but no reason i think you should give up on events :)

Tahru likes this.
  11. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

one should learn from the past, not revise it.

Tahru likes this.
  12. Gypsy Lou

Gypsy Lou Avatar

I don't see much trolling anywhere in the forums and certainly not within the game, but I'm sure there is some. There always is. The fact that I don't see it confirms my belief that it's probably pretty rare. It's tempting to attribute that to the quality of the community that surrounds this game and I think that's largely true, but what I've seen happen over and over again is that the quality of the community changes significantly upon release. So enjoy it while you can, it will probably get worse on release.

That said, it's got a LONG way to go to get even close to as bad as it gets elsewhere. This is bound to be a better community than most even after release.

13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I am totally confused how anybody thought this was a good thread. I've seen a lot of good discussion and have only seen one person who was provocating and that was only in private messages outside of the threads.

Sure there are trolls etc. I've even had the might hammer of thor or whatever happen to me, but I wasn't provocating I just said stuff that ... actually I don't need to understand the rules I just know that the rules are interpreted broadly enough to accuse anybody at any time... nevertheless I have to agree with the guy in an earlier post in this thread that stated that this thread has not been productive and helpful.

I really wish I knew where that Timelord Smith fellow is because I'm certain he would have something to say that would make some of us laugh about all this.

Tahru, Moonshadow and Lord Thomas like this.
  14. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

Thats right and as isaid its not that we are overun by peaple that doing such kind of stuff but there are some and some got problems with that so its good i think to remind peaple , that there are other ways and talking helps.

Tahru likes this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I miss Time Lord Smith... :(

Isaiah and Tahru like this.
  16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

There are some things that will never change. My choice is to try to find the road that makes me happy and let the world work out its collage of life. I can get very sick quickly if I get too stressed out. Besides, to ass is human.

17. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

One persons Troll is another's version of enjoyment. Once systems are in place to lock down a POT or lot then we can seclude unwanted troublemakers. Otherwise I feel common grounds there is no trolling only alternative play styles.

The person who murdered Lord British in UO is infamous but not a troll.

These forums are the finest in gaming. Show me a gaming forum with more mature and intelligent discussion.

Trying to enforce your own playstyle on everyone else is far more of offensive to me personally. We should all be able to find our own niche and avoid those whom we dislike. Owned properties and secluded areas in game allow for privacy. Public areas open you up to varied gaming styles.

More personal responsibility and less complaining and trying to control others is the solution.

18. Gix

Gix Avatar

Are you suggesting that the game should lock people out of POTs completely? Surely you jest.

19. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Gix, indeed I am suggesting a POT is locked down. The POT turns on PVP and sets up guards at the border.

Then you can hold whatever the hell type of event you want without interference from unwanted Avatars.

You can't go to a community property or park and demand everyone stops talking on their phones because it annoys you.

20. Hraw

Hraw Avatar

Sure you can :)

But seriously, I seem to remember a question in the R16 post mortem youtube video asking about the ability to ban players from a player owned lot/home ... I'm not sure we are going to have that capability based on the way it was answered. If this topic has been resolved and we know for sure that we'll be able to keep people out of our home/lot/town just because we want to keep them out, please post links, maybe I missed it, or maybe I misunderstood.

Chatele likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.