Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Problems with Gawain Conversation

Discussion in 'Quests, Conversations, & NPC's' started by Bedawyn, May 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

05/24/2019 15:22
    Title: Problems with Gawain Conversation
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? No
    Details:

(1) When the player first arrives, the road down to the village is in front of you; Gawain is BEHIND you. I'm an explorer, so of course I'm going to do a 180 before moving on. But I can foresee many more linear players simply moving forward on the obvious road ahead and never looking back.

(2) Re: his amulet, Gawain says "...it is something all Knights of Norgard posess..."
    "possess", not "posess"

(3) In response to the "amulet" keyword, he says ""...to Brigid, in Resolute, with do haste!"
    Should be "due haste"

(4) In response to "Tracy", he says "She was to make a last stand in the center of town... and then return to aid us." (4a) He calls Tracy "she", but Nena refers to Tracy as male and the generic corpse with Tracy's ID papers is apparently male. (4b) If sie was making a last stand, how was Gawain expecting hir to return anywhere? Also, since there's no other signs of battle anywhere near Gawain, his story in this line seems odd.

(5) In response to "name", he calls himself a "knight and soldier of the Norgard." I'm not sure if "the Norgard" is a typo or not, but it's not a usage I've seen from anyone else.

(6) Afraid I forgot to jot down the keywords for these, but at some point Gawain says ""I came hither looking for Brigid, and hither in Highvale was attacked most brutally by elves..." (6a) Two "hithers" in one sentence is awkward. (6b) It feels like maybe he means to say Highvale was attacked, but what he's actually saying is he was attacked. Does he maybe mean "I came hither looking for Brigid, and whilst I was here, Highvale..." But that wouldn't make sense either, since (6c) he's not looking for Brigid, he knows she's in Resolute, and elsewhere says she sent him to Highvale. But again (6d) Gawain says Brigid sent the knights to Highvale "to shore up the defenses" and that Tracy was in charge, but Brigid doesn't recognize Tracy's name and Nena doesn't recognize Brigid's name. Apparently his impending death has got Gawain mighty confused.

(7) In response to "attack", he says "this village of Highvale, whence ye are anon!"
    "whence" includes a sense of direction -- it literally means "from where", although we usually forget that when people say "from whence" -- so you can say "whence ye were" (implying you've moved from there) but "whence ye are" isn't grammatically correct. Also, "anon" is not a synonym for "now" -- it's more halfway between "now" and "soon" and implies something that is about to happen but hasn't happened yet. So "whence ye are anon" actually traps the person in a grammatical time vortex, where they're pulled into the past and future simultaneously. However fun that might be, please just keep it to "where we are now!"

Steps to Reproduce: Go through the rift to the Battle of Highvale, talk to Gawain
    User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8130U CPU @ 2.20GHz (4) System RAM: 8089
    GPU: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 GPU RAM: 2150
    SotA.Win.64.979.Date.05.21.19
    Area: novia_r6_hills02_highvalevillage/WithoutTutorial
    Area Display Name: Battle of Highvale
    Loc: (120.7, 51.1, -191.7)
    Debug: bm92aWFfcjZfaGlsbHMwMl9oaWdodmFsZXZpbGxhZ2V8V2l0aG91dFR1dG9yaWFsfCgxMjAuNzI3LCA1MS4xMSwgLTE5MS43MDgpfCgwLCAtMC4yLCAwLCAwLjk4KXwzMTEuMjYyOHwxMHwxLjI1

Tags: <archaic grammar> ( Yes, I'm a copyeditor in real life and used to be a medieval lit geek. :) Sorry! )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.