Producer xp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adam Crow, May 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Try Universe chat if you ever give it another shot. Or look me up, my guild usually has groups doing different kinds of stuff.
    Not sure what you're referring to here sorry, never heard of dwarf fortress. Sota is well done, with tons of different things to do. The polish and additions that have been implemented in the last year or two have made a huge difference for me personally. I'm just playing and enjoying the game again, I don't need to make pretend or redefine anything ;)

Haha can't argue that. I honestly hated all the flashy dyes and aether creatures when first implemented, but I guess over the years I'm use to it. It just feels like part of the world to me now.

2. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I did ask on global chat, all that resulted in was invites to more control point farming. I get that guilds can make a real difference, but I've been playing off and on since r8, I've out lived multiple guilds and, honestly, I don't really have the urge to join yet another one to find out what the equivalent of that one guy ranting about Hilary Clinton on the guild chat is going to be.

Dwarf fortress is one of a subset of games that is covered in warts but somehow has a substantial following, Aurora is another title like that and probably netHack if it still has the following it did a decade ago. Dwarf Fortress in particular has the saying that Losing is Fun, because no matter how well you play, losing is ensured, often due to one of the wart of the game rubbing on another in a novel way that is rarely seen. If you don't accept the axiom that "losing is fun", you will not enjoy Dwarf Fortress. SotA is similar in many ways. If you want to craft a reasonable, not excellent, set of armor, it will take a week or two of real time grinding to acquire enough material to produce one. In anything other than the most grinding MMOs, that is totally unacceptable, but SotA takes the position that "Grinding is Fun" and here we are. The combat in SotA is not good, it is functional, but on like a Morrowind "yes, it has a combat system" level, but the SotA position is "Combat systems that minimize the impact of WASD compared to number keys and mouse dexterity are Fun". I'm not saving you can't "make your own fun" with SotA, but I have hundred of Dwarf Fortress hours under my belt and I'm not fool enough to claim it is an objectively good game or to recommend it to people before I've confirmed they have very specific tastes in games.

I guess it is a "slowly boiling a frog" scenario. I only hop on the game for a few weeks every year or so, so I end up seeing all the silly clutter offset by little in the way of substantial improvement.

Adam Crow, FBohler and FrostII like this.
  3. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

They're using the unbeatable "you're playing it wrong, it's your fault" argument here. It's almost as good of an argument as "git gud".
    I totally get your opinion, even if I don't agree 100% with what you say.

And yeah, until you're strong enough to solo your way to fast XP income, you're pretty much at the mercy of mindless CP grinding with bad framerates. I myself skipped those and took me forever to get to a level of soloing fast XP content. Skipping the CP thing is making sure you progress very slowly.

Adam Crow likes this.
  4. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Pretty sure solo clean up of despair on extreme level still not possible in any reasonable ammount of time. I know only one case when it was done, by one player, but he operated two avatars simultaneous(archer+bard), and it was done in the time when archer was completely out of balance (10k+ crits) . Probably tamer could try to do it nowadays, but it will be too long, very hard, and absolutely non rewarding.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Which is why I have five different avatars, each with their own e-mail.
    Heavy armor: fighter, archer
    Light armor: mage, bludgeon, archer
    All somewhere around adventure level 75 and none of them can take out a dragon, the fire elemental, or the other Bosses alone.
    Still enjoying the heck out of the game, and looking forward to all the choices.

ConjurerDragon and Adam Crow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.