Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Producing things does not appear to add Producer XP

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by Phil Scott, Mar 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Scott

Phil Scott Avatar

As best as I can tell producing (as opposed to gathering) does not add Producer XP just uses it up for skills. This appears very wrong to me. Producing should up the Producer XP.

2. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

Not sure if this was intended, but I have been seeing the same thing through R26 to today. I was originally boosting producer XP by harvesting and then spending that XP on refining and crafting; however, the x4 XP change makes it a bit more difficult to do that. So yeah, that x4 change will hopefully shed some light on whether refining or crafting xp gain is simply not working as intended or they are supposed to be a producer xp sink.

Daxxe Diggler likes this.
  3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Unless it's been changed recently, refining and crafting work on an extremely steep diminishing return. Crafting a newitem for the first time gives good xp, but every time you craft the item from then on it gives less and less, which currently forces you to harvest to gain experience to use in crafting.

As of the 4x skill consumption, most or all of that xp may be put tward your harvesting skills. You may have to lock your gathering skills to accumulate the pooled xp u need to work production skills until they work that out

4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

If you want producer XP from doing actual production tasks then you must use new recipes. Like @EMPstrike says there is a diminishing return on all recipes. So the first time you do something you get 500 for most recipes. Then that halves to 250, 75, 25,
    Or thereabouts.

So if you want to be good at producing from no gathering you need to start getting new hobbies where you do all recipes 3.
    Example:
    You want to be a good carpenter? Then start to turn OFF cooking gain , then cook each cooking recipe three times-after that use up the XP with some small amount of carpentry. Then the next day take up smelting, turn off gain and smelt 3 of each ingot and 3 of each paver and wall. Then do a small amount of carpentry in between.
    Then when you have gone through all possible hobbies you are mid range carpenter - if you get desperate and still don't want to do gathering you now need to go through all quests since those awards producer XP as well.
    After that it is back and do all recipes except the ones in your trade again and again.
    Then it is time to give up and realize you must gather to be a carpenter...

5. Noric

Noric Avatar

Those numbers would be asymptotic to about 1k per recipe - Given the number of recipes per craft that is a trivial among of XP that won't ever be enough to train significantly without gathering.

As things are I'm not even sure they are worth mentioning as an xp source.

4EverLost and Womby like this.
  6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

;)

4EverLost and Noric like this.
  7. bwtdozer

bwtdozer Avatar

Since joining this game I've always heard that if one wanted to they could spend their SOTA lives in town, never leaving and be a successful refiner or crafter. But so far it seems to not be the case. I understand the point of diminishing returns in order to prevent people from just macroing their way to GM crafter in a day, since being a GM crafter is supposed to be seen as a sign of dedication to ones craft and in a player driven economy everyone being able to craft all of the top end gear within days would kill the economy. But I think this needs to be looked at and adjusted so that being a pure refiner or pure crafter w/o gathering ones own mats is a possibility. This could be achieved in two ways in my mind:
    1. Start the xp gain from recipes at a higher level (1500 xp, 2000 xp, 2500 xp, etc) and flatten the curve somewhat.
    2. Make the recipes have a behind the scenes 24-hour timer that is activated on the first use of a recipe. After the timer is up the xp gain for that recipe is reset to 50% of the first use xp gain and the diminishing returns begins anew. The first use of a recipe after the timer is in place will start a new 24-hour timer. Example: first use of a refining recipe is 1500 xp and the 24-hour timer is started and I continue refining that item and am stuck at getting 5 xp (or whatever the minimum is). The next day after the timer is up I start refining the same items. This time I start at 750 xp and a timer is started again. I again refine till my xp gain is the minimum. The next day after the timer is reset I refine the same thing again. I start at 750 xp and go until the I've reached the minimum xp gain.
    Just my penny's worth of thoughts on Producer XP.

Womby likes this.
  8. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I want gatherers to be able to sell to people who focus on crafting, but in order for this to work pure crafting HAS to be viable. You guys want local economies, but in order for ANY economies to work the exp system cannot forces every crafter to have a vertical monopoly (doing all the steps in production from start to finish). I'm starting to think the only way to address this problem is to remove the XP pool, but that would encourage macroing more.

Honestly, when I do crafting, I tend to do a bunch of the same item (Wee! 20 bronze longswords! 100 Wolf hats! 30 taming collars!). This is particularly is encouraged by trying to get critted gear, but I do it without macroing. I'm not sure purely fighting this is the way to go, specifically because I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this by hand. The only thing I can think of is to make more random things happen while you are crafting, making macros much more difficult to write to deal with these contingencies.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    Tessa Jane likes this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That was put in-place before the use-based skill system. If it's still that way then I think it should be changed to be a flat experience gain for each success.

10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I think recently they mentioned adding minigame like events to crafting to make it difficult to bot.

If I remember that correctly and they are probably waiting for this before turning experience a gaine on with crafting

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Crafting requires materials, so why would we need that?

12. agra

agra Avatar

Yeah, please no mini-games unless the amount of combines/actions is going to be reduced by 100 times less. Enough with the stick, already. Let me have a teeeny bit of fun, please?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.