PSA: You can stop grinding for patterns now

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Innascual Inch, Feb 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Please make some of them available in game via COTO merchants. That way we can at least have some deterministic grinds on some of the patterns.

Numa and Innascual Inch like this.
  2. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Why do you feel the need to compare these two things? Are cosmetic patterns somehow effecting your game play?

The artifacts do effect things very much, so I can understand why they aren't as rare. It seriously effects game play in all shapes and forms. These artifacts are very powerful in some cases, and if they were as rare as these patterns... that would be a big balance issue I think.

How you can argue that cosmetic patterns are effecting balance in the game is lost on me. It's just something fun to collect and show off to your friends. It doesn't help you kill anything or anyone.

MrBlight and By Tor like this.
  3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So, I finally got an elven woodwind longbow pattern, I put it on a carpentry station along with a longbow that I crafted and... no craft button. How do I use it?

4. StarWeed

StarWeed Avatar

congrats!! there is a special recipe that everyone now knows for patterns. it is called "reshape" It took me a long time to find too... it's got a blue glow on the emblem.

Numa and Barugon like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Thanks. Is it sold by merchants or is it loot only?

[edit] Oh I see, we already know it by default, duh. :oops: Anyway, the ingredient I was missing was wax.

Sweet!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  6. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

Wow you are all mixed up here.

First read the response by Chris to the OP in this thread. I don't feel the need to compare patterns to artifacts, he did.

Second, you are wrong again - artifacts are actually more rare than patterns.

And finally I didn't say that patterns were effecting balance in the game. I said the drop rate of patterns wasn't balanced because patterns are only cosmetic items.

Lol

7. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I don't feel mixed up. Maybe rarity is the wrong word. Artifacts seem easier to acquire than patterns. Maybe I am wrong, but I can only speak on my game play, and that's sure how it feels for me.

I just don't understand why you think they should be easier to get. That would probably make it just another item that in a month everyone can acquire with hardly any effort cause the market is flooded and there isn't enough population to support it.

Nice touch ending your reply with lol. I'm glad I can at least entertain you. :D

Innascual Inch likes this.
  8. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

@Adam Crow the drop rate just seems excessively rare to me. Excuse my snarky response. I think I'm hangry.

9. Net

Net Avatar

I hope that more rare things will come into the game as that - rare. I hate it when bunch of people gets month worth of rare items on day one and then the drop rates are nerfed so everyone else has to wait really long to see them or buy them...

If the patterns are too rare , isuppose they can increase rates slightly eventually, but things should start hard and get easier as they are adjusted not the other way round.

Alley Oop likes this.
  10. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I think we need EITHER:

a) obtaining said item is rare like curently, but salvage chance should be something like 20%.

OR

b) mobs who are wielding said weapon should always drop it, and salvage chance can stay at 1%

I spent 3 hours tonight killing katana-dropping mobs and got a total of 6 katanas. Granted, I was chopping all the trees and picking all the cotton etc. but I killed the katana-wielders whenever they spawned. Most of the time they just dropped coins. If I could spend 3 hours and be relatively certain I'd GET a pattern out of it, that'd be fine, no issue. Spending 300 hours and still no guarantee, is unacceptable.

The only way this drop rate and salvage rate would be acceptable would be if you learned the pattern like a recipe and could apply it to items you crafted in future. This would actually be a much better system anyway, as it would give accomplished crafters a little something extra to add variety to crafted gear or to appeal to particular customers. It would also incentivize said crafters to say, buy all the addon store patterns....

Patterns should be relatively inexpensive and commonplace, I can't fathom why on earth you would go to all this trouble to create and implement a system that nobody can actually use....

11. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

[​IMG]

Sorry, the first thing that popped into my head when you said that was the commercal where they give a snickers to Danny Trejo and he turns into Marsha Brady.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Innascual Inch likes this.
  12. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Hello all.

I want to put some numbers from my first pattern ingame.

Carpentry salvaging at 88
    55-70 Elven bows salvaged

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Numa, Duke Avery and Barugon like this.
  13. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Mh what about lowering the drop chances for both a little more?

MrBlight likes this.
  14. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

got my first pattern today... took a lot of salvaging LOL... edit: not complaining... I think it's fine... makes them more special... LOL

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Rada Torment likes this.
  15. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

remove RNG from this completely. Make patterns drop only if you are above x in salvaging and x in the crafting skill used to create the item. I am sorry but someone with 100 at breaking something would not learn how to make it during the process. Increase the rate but only allow it to happen when people have the skills to do it. So if you want the best of the best you go to the GM carpenter with GM salvage to take the weopon apart and figure out how to rebuild it the way you want it. Too many systems based on an RNG that will never get even close the 1% just makes the game rediculous and throws the whole skill tree out the window. Basing it on the person that put the time in that tree let's them reap the reward instead of lucky Joe that gets 6 drops in a row and the person that put the work in gets 0 out of a 1000.

Alley Oop likes this.
  16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I've done a LOT of salvaging since Thursday and I've gotten two Elven Woodwind Long Bow patterns and an Elven Mage Staff pattern.

17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

But they are.
    Every item that has a pattern already and is part of the add on store bundles can be bought on the specific coto merchant.
    If you salvage those items you will get a pattern (well as soon as the pattern is ingame ^^ eta r40 for pretty much everything as Darkstarr already said).

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  18. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

50 in the first 24 hours. I think that probably filled the supply side of the equation. I'd be interested to see the selling price from #1 sold to #50 sold.

Can't get away from the fact that you need to kill 1200 mobs of 1000exp to get one GM. Loads of time ahead of you to grind out patterns by accident.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  19. Gix

Gix Avatar

That's not how random works.

20. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

I still haven't gotten my Elven Bow pattern *grumbles*.....and after salvaging about ~250 Kobold hammers I finally got a pattern...and then salvaged 20 and got 3 patterns in a row. Go figure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.