Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Pugilism Feedback

Discussion in 'Release 48 Feedback Forum' started by Black Tortoise, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

So I have had a very different experience leveling and using Puglism than other skills. First Id like to say thanks for adding the skill - its needed for my avatar's RP style. Can't wait for a kick skill ;-). Pardon the length on the following, but I feel very passionately about these skills, and the limitations of using combat weapons and techniques in SotA in general.

The first thing that was odd to me, was that every single (non crafter) skill I use raises Puglism skill. Cool, I went from 0-90 in one half of an afternoon from fighting a ton of green mobs at once. Though, I felt it should have been a bit more challenging than that. Seems odd that casting heals, dodge, safe falling, spinny polearm moves, fireballs, night vision, etc, all raise my punching skill, but I can't say Id give up the ease of grandmastery here either ;).

I guess, I was expecting a glyph, one that would work like Stone Fist, but not use Earth magic. Use of the glyph would raise the skill, so Id have to set out adventuring and punching things for a long time before I mastered it.

Even when armed, I think my avatar should be able to punch someone. Its normal combat repertoire. I think there are some UX issues that arise with Pugilism not being a glyph that reduce it to a novelty skill (though yes, I did see that Discord chat where someone was using an artifact to crit ~130 with Pugilism). I dont think I can use this skill in my build and playstyle without it being a glyph.

It appears to me that the skill requires two things:

1) nothing in hands
    2) the target must be exactly within the recticle.

For 1), well, believe me, there is no competent spear/axe/mace/sword/staff wielder in the world that cant punch you while wielding their weapon. In fact, its silly to limit an avatar to not be able to punch while holding a weapon (I get around the cognitive dissonance of this with Stone Fist ;) ).

2) I play with cursor mode, zoomed out, and often panning around the camera. This is borderline non negotiable for me, I dont mean to raise a stink here, but I dont think I can play an RPG that doesnt let me play that way. I had all but forgotten about the "recticle mode" stuff, until it took me about 2 hours to realize why I almost never ever actually punch anything with pugilism today.

So to summarize my experience - I spent about 4 hours working with Pugilism today, perhaps 1-2 hours mastering the skill (lol), and then 2 more hours just trying to punch something one single time. It was maddeningly difficult for me to use something that seeemed like it should be so simple - just punch, right?

Once I made the connection that the extremely rare occurrence that I actually punched was due to the target just happening to be perfectly aligned with my cursor, I saw the real importance for Pugilism to be a glyph.

So for me, I basically will never have my targets exactly in my recticle as its usually pointed slightly away - as I like to pan around in cursor mode. I wont ever use the recticle mode, and I have the transparency for the recticle set to 100% cuz its just a strange artifact on my screen otherwise. Pugilism, or some other empty hand combat skill, is extremely important to my avatar, the RP style, and story behind my character. I can't wrap my head around why its so obtusely different from the way glyph based combat skills work. I also cant really use the skill except to let go of a playstyle I love for a playstyle I find painful.

@Chris tysm for Pugilism, but please re-implement this as a glyph based skill (sometime before EP2?). Please implement something kind of like Stone Fist - doesnt need to be as powerful, and shouldnt be magic based, but just similar in concept. "Use Pugilism glyph, avatar does punch to current target".

Time Lord and Paladin Michael like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.