1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

PvE challenge arena

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Tirrag, Feb 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

The recent changes to evasion, deflect, and bolster sent me on an exploration challenging myself to hunt large critters in minimal gear and buffs. My SotA mentor raised me up on the concept that with a well-built strategic deck, you don't need to be uber in skill level to take on higher-end content. With that philosophy I have been very successful, even when many of my skills were < 100. Now I do have a few skills above 100 but mostly I am 100 in any skill that I use. The question I wanted to answer is just how little do I need to use to still be able to kill a decent-size critter like the Orange Pit Dragon.

My first attempt was using a freshly crafted light chest with no masterwork/enchants and a shield+trident. I built a deck to use bolster, deflect, dodge, evasion, parry, and defensive stance plus healing spells/pots. I am heavy/taming spec so no extra bonuses from those. Overall the battle was pretty straight-forward downing her in 9.5 mins.

My second attempt was no armor with just shield+trident, eliminating the ability to use dodge and evasion. This attempt also went pretty well, though it took 15 mins.

My third attempt was no armor and a 2H sword, eliminating deflect and bolster. Again, while more difficult to manage was still successful downing her in 9.5 mins.

My next attempt will be eliminating use of any spells or defensive skills, relying only on pots for healing. TBD.

So this journey ended up being pretty fun. I started thinking though how something like this could become a new "challenge dungeon" type format. Enemies would not drop loot, but you would gain gold and XP for defeating them in an arena. The amount you win would be a calculation based on how tough the enemy is, how many at one time, your AL, and how high-end your equipment is. The most gold to be made by defeating higher-end enemies with the least amount of gear and skills/pots used during the battle. I envision a colosseum style scene where people could go and watch the spectacle. A leaderboard would be pretty amazing for it as well so people could compete. Maybe even a way to bet gold on a fight. So to list it out for discussion, my wish is:

1) Have a colosseum scene designed to pit a player or group of players against an enemy or group of enemies.

2) Enemy selection may be controlled by player group at the time of fight or maybe a daily event that randomly selects what enemies are in the arena for that day.

2) No loot, the reward is gold from the fight based on a calculation that takes in the following factors:

a) Quantity and quality of the enemy being fought
    b) Quantity and quality of gear used by the players
    c) Quantity and level of the skills used by the players during the battle
    d) Quantity of pots/shrine buffs/long term benefit affects on the players
    3) Random traps and obstacles laid throughout the arena

4) Ability for people to watch the spectacle

5) Ability for people to place bets and potentially win money based on the result of 2)

6) Leaderboard for folks to compete against each other in the standings

Elgarion, Anpu and Violet Ronso like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.