Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

PVE Combat Feedback

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by Wintermute of CoF, Mar 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

1. Please don't drop me into combat mode because something attacked me, let me choose combat when I'm ready
    2. Please don't automatically target things that attack me, especially things that are not currently in range
    3. When I do a ranged spell (e.g. Fireball, Ring of Fire) please don't untarget whatever I'm currently fighting
    4. Don't disable auto-attack mode when I double click to loot

The combination of 2 & 3 is especially deadly. I'm busy fighting some melee mob, fling a quick fireball on them, suddenly I'm targeting some archer because they happened to get a shot in before any of the sword fighters so I stand there doing nothing for a few seconds and lose half my health. The other two painful situations are when someone behind me attacks just after a Fireball or nothing attacks me for a split second and then when I hit tab to target someone that's when the attack occurs and I end up un-targeting.

Arianna, zyxe, jama and 3 others like this.
  2. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Havnt ever really had some of these happen.
    never been forced untargeted by being attacked by another enemy.

I am not a fan of the auto target though, I like to figure things out, and its another thing holding back "stealthy" game play.

3. Noric

Noric Avatar

I don't think auto-attack should persist when looting - someone searching the pockets of a corpse isn't going to be using a bow.

Not sure if i totally agree with the first one (i kind of do), but the targeting ones seem like things that need fixing.

radddaaa likes this.
  4. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Why not? Auto-attack is a mode not an activity.

Chatele and Fister Magee like this.
  5. agra

agra Avatar

Agreed on all points, especially the "turning off auto attack". Holy crap that one is annoying. After I turn that on, I want it to turn off exactly one way: with me manually toggling it off! :D

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  6. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

1) While this is kinda annoying, I think it's one of those "by design" things. It's there because people like me keep a few abilities on our non-combat bars, and drop out of combat for a bit to use them (res is one of the biggies). I think this is to help curtail that behavior.

2) Mixed feelings here. I think this would be fine if not for 3, I mean it doesn't make sense for my 'toon to sand their picking her nose when she's getting used for a skeleton's pin-cushion.

3) Yes, YES, for the love of all that is holy, YES!!

4) agreed (not as emphatically as 3 though).

7. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

There's a ten second delay switching back to the the non-combat mode, I'm sure that covers the 'quick switching' issue and I'm fine with that. Forcing me into combat mode is annoying and unnecessary. It's particularly annoying because it doesn't unsheathe your weapon while doing it so, especially if you're a melee fighter, it's forced you into a set of glyphs you can't actually use.

The way it usually happens: I kill something, I hit tab to target the next thing, at the same time the next thing attacks so tab untargets and I stand there all pin cushion like. Really I just want control over who I'm targeting and when rather than sometimes being in control and sometimes being victim to the random timing of opponent attacks, without having to micro-manage swings of the sword.

8. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I disagree. Even the current situation isn't enough to stop me from doing it sometimes (particularly when in a larger party). It would also make slipping past high-level mobs to get through an area much easier (things like sprint on the non-combat bar), which I don't think is necessarily good. Pulling out your weapons though, would be a welcome improvement.

That's a fair point. Maybe a toggle for which behavior is the best solution.

9. Gix

Gix Avatar

• Please don't make me lose my enemy as target whenever I use skills that target the ground. I don't hate the ground; that's not why I'm casting fireballs at it. I'm not trying to distract the ground either. Let me keep my real target.

Chatele likes this.
  10. Cirsee

Cirsee Avatar

I fully agree with #1 and 3. Nothing is more annoying then my combat bar popping up when I am trying to run away or sneak through places/control points. I loose all the travel utility of my non combat bar when this happens.

The un-targeting from AoE spells is another really annoying one. It takes time to get back to the mob I was originally on after a targeted AoE spell; which can be the death of us mages.

11. Noric

Noric Avatar

It's a mode that exists to make combat more manageable with the glyph system. Given the history of UO and the tactical aspect of looting, I don't believe we need to make midcombat looting more manageable.

12. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Who said I was looting mid-combat? Or perhaps better: define the period of time you think of as "in combat."

13. Noric

Noric Avatar

Ah. I think we may have had a misunderstanding. I quite frequently loot midcombat (skeletons tend to encourage this) and i thought you were referring for being able to continue auto-attacking while that looting is in process. If you are just referring to the setting that the T button controls, then i have no issues with the idea. However, midcombat looting may be part of why that functionality is not currently implemented (though I'm sure they could code something to work around it).

14. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

I completely agree with all points.
    1) I am extremely frustrated by the combat bar taking over because I was hit. So what? Let me decide when to go into combat!
    2) auto target can seem nice, but in the end it helps with macro fighting. At least leave it to me to press a button to target nearest or target last attack as I see fit.
    3) I haven't noticed this yet, but if I did I'd be irritated.
    4) No mode should toggle because I am looting.

Chatele likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.