PVP Accountability - Bounty System

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Poor game design, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Right there. That is why whatever system is in place needs to be VERY simple. It shouldn't ever rely on human player characters to work, that will be a nightmare.

Captain Jack is not in favor of a bounty system for criminals, but Captain Jack does support having the game and NPCs change how they interact with player characters based off a reputation or karma system.

mitchellhamilton likes this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

It's risk verses reward. If you can't pay the fine, don't do the crime.

The amount would have to be capped, and by logging in you'd work off the penalty. So if you're going to run away or just "not play" because you have something better to do...either of those options are fine. But you can't expext to completely avoid the penalty by logging off. That's not how being held accountable for your actions works.

3. Drocis the Devious

No. We'd be building a balance. There's a huge difference between disincentivising PVP participation and creating a meaningful and competitve environment where people that engage in very aggressive and unwanted forms of player interaction (i.e. ganking noobs) have to think twice about what they're doing, where they're doing it, and if it's worth the other all cost.

The alternative is to either let people run wild (that didn't work very well for the average person in UO), or to completely lock everything down (that didn't work very well for the average person in UO). There must be balance.

4. Drocis the Devious

I like the simplicity, but I'd like to see more player interaction and less random violence fueling the system. I don't like "systems" where players don't talk to each other, this creates a void for roleplayers. I also don't enjoy "anyone" collecting the bounty if they just randomly kill the person. This seems exploitable.

It also encourages people to kill kill kill. Killing because you have the opportunity is not part of the answer, imo. That's part of the problem. If you watch almost any PVP youtube video where a single player is wondering around looking for people to kill, you'll find that they only attack people that can't fight back. Miners, noobs, people that are AFK...these are crimes of opportunity. Creating a sytem where we reward people for "seeing the bad guy" and going after them seems like more of the same problem. What I'd rather see is players dedicated to finding the low life scum in the game and competitively going after them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.