PvP damage limits

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by eli, Nov 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eli

eli Avatar

So i finally got around to watching the latest telethon, and at one point Chris started talking about charging up crossbow shots for 600 points of sneaking damage being "a good way to open a pvp fight"

As an adv level 84 player with 498 health... I fear there is some disconnect between his expectations and reality.

Shouldn't there be some kind of cap or damage reduction formula so that more builds are viable, fights last longer, require focus management etc.?

for instance, In UO, there was powerful stuff, but you could cast only e.g. 2.5 flamestrikes before totally running out of mana, and were a sitting duck for 30 seconds. There's nothing close to that kind of limit here, and first-to-act advantage just creates a boring gank-focused combat style.

Gustach, Black Tortoise, Numa and 4 others like this.
  2. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Well if anything too low damage for most schools is the problem. Healing is OP :) Also resists aren't factored in that.

Mac2 likes this.
  3. eli

eli Avatar

ya healing nerf would need to go along with any damage nerf and probably further...

4. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

As performance has only recently been tweaked enough for me to start running multiplayer mode on my outdated hardware, I don't know for certain if this is the case, but I read somewhere recently that someone not flagged for PvP can attack someone flagged for PvP, and their first hit counts.

To me, that seems like it should be fixed, where the first hit starts a 5 second timer before any damage can be done between the two avatars in question, and then the fight begins. Similar to using a stone wall between two players before they begin a duel.

Of course, this is the era of forsaken virtues. Cheap one hitter mechanics can be beneficial to popping peoples PvP cherries, to get people pvping who normally wouldn't, and that could be Chris's logic.

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

thats what happens when you refuse to use a dynamic meta-AI delivered straight from the Xorinite...

6. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

you have to understand how hard it is to get a fully charged sneak attack off.

and baseline hp is around 1200

Black Tortoise likes this.
  7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

L
    M
    A
    O

he actually has said one shot mechanics SHOULD be viable in PvP - expect more way to achieve it - yeah he has zero clue how to make a good Player vs PLayer system that has any hope of being viable.

Everything he think he wants to do will kill the game and leave 4 - 10 people as KINGs.

Wait for it I will say it again when it come to fruition

Vrunk Hrrk likes this.
  8. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

lol ive got 560ish hp at lvl 98... gg...

Black Tortoise likes this.
  9. eli

eli Avatar

if you build the OmniSkill character, you'll have decent hp... but if you do e.g. a specialized mage build, or a dex-heavy archer build, you will have half the hp.

I think the next set of pvp armor i make is going to be focused on str and hp, and maybe i'll drop a few M xp into it too. Even though none of that is really relevant to my build. If you can't beat them, join them?

10. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

In reality, if you do omniskill, you will probably be level 105-110. If you specialize, you will be 80-90. That make the huge difference in HP.

11. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I think if you are not "prepared" to deal with a crossbow bolt, then a well placed one would kill you instantly. Crossbow bolts were made to puncture heavy armor, mind you.

Then again Im not into the whole "massive hit points" concepts in video games - I like it UO style (who would've guessed?) - that is to say, it only takes about 3-4 really well placed spells or strikes to kill you outright, and this can happen in under 2 seconds.

...cuz thats what fighting is like (actually, IRL combat takes place in under one second, 2 seconds is an eternity).

I think its silly that fighters can thwack each other for minutes on end with bladed weapons, only causing "loss of hitpoints." If I make contact with your body with a hammer, that part of your body is shut down. If I make contact with your body with a blade, you die. If i touch your head in any way, you die. If I touch your heart, you die.

Not sure if anyone else would like combat implemented how Id like it though ;). I dont care if you have 40,000 hitpoints - a halberd to the head = infinite hitpoints of damage.

12. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

One shot mechanics is exactly how people cant rule the roost for long. Silly, cartoony, hollywood style fights with zero basis in reality = fighting for minutes on end. This gives the best of the best a greater advantage.

In the words of Marc Antony, "12 mangy dogs can kill a lion"

Likewise, 12 idiot peasants with zero combat training ever could easily corner and kill a great hero, if they simply had the will to do so.

If youre facing away from me, and are occupied with an engagement with another warrior, and I jam a spear into the back of your platemail helm, you still die instantly. If I do something like rupture your kidney, crush your spine, or all kinds of nasty things you can do to someone from behind, you still pretty much fall over dead. Your "hitpoints" shouldnt save you from a completely indefensible position.

One shot mechanics ftw!

Antrax Artek likes this.
  13. eli

eli Avatar

Yea I agree, as long as it's 3-4 hits and not 1.

14. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

That's kind of... not fun, in a RPG. Almost nobody would really like that level of realism in a game.

...and I played the original R. Talsorian Games Cyberpunk 2020 with the Friday Night Firefight rules that had charts and charts and charts built from FBI and Emergency Room and other sources of gunshot injuries. One could die from a .22 to the head ... or possibly survive a 7.62 NATO round to the skull with little more than a concussion. It was tough, but after spending three hours or so rolling up characters... having them die or be severely messed up after 5 seconds of a firefight, that took nearly 45 minutes to resolve, it was... a game we shelved.

15. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Id like it!

I mean, its a video game, you just "respawn" and run back to the fight :-/

Though I do expect people to want what theyre accustomed to. I shall plant the seeds of ideas and see if they take root in a few months ;).

how about, 3-4 hits that kill you in under one second? c'mooooooon :-D

btw I love the galron avatar

16. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

208 str, no shield of crystal, level 121 + 4 for blessing 1072 hp.

17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I sure am for hyperrealism :p but we're not even sure we're material... and we're magical...

A halberd to the head could actually be a decoy head, here comes a fireball :p

18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

There is a balance between too long and too fast of course... any imbalance is just amplified by the level system and of course decay being tied to death.

It does look like an experiment gone wrong imo...

19. Gustach

Gustach Avatar

I agree, one-shot is bad for PvP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.