Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

PvP exploit

Discussion in 'Release 8 Feedback' started by Malchor1, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

Well I enjoyed it even if did lose far more than I won, I am not a big Pvp.er in other mmo but this was fun and I like the new card system, And I thought the elemental was way overpowered, and I don't think I won a fight against a spell caster all day! Though I seemed to be hampered by my Ping here in England.

2. Floors

Floors Avatar

The team stuff I was doing we didn't spawn camp anyone. We held an area and waiting for attacks. I do think that they'll need to randomize entry into PvP zones in the future or it will be a problem.

Earlier in the week, those of us were figuring out what worked and didn't work, and we died a lot too. By the end of the week, we had several good builds going against the best builds, and so new people that came in and wanted to fight with a longsword no shield, no stun attack and no epic armor by themselves were going to have some trouble, yeah.

Slayer Exodus and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Keep in mind some of these spell casters have been playing since Tuesday because they were in the Dev+ tests. So by that time they learned some skills. I was able to wipe out a few spell casters with swords, and bludgeons on my second account. However I did find that it was more difficult.

For me I didn't bother with the elemental skill even though I cast a lot of fire magic. Yeah it added some firepower, but it sacrificed stealth. You can see that elemental half way across the zone. It's perfect if you want somebody to sneak up from behind you and kill you before you know what to do with yourself. but that's my thought on the elemental.

I probably only lost one time to a spell caster with an elemental one on one. I was a spell caster too. I would beat the spell casters with the elemental even though the elemental was attacking me. You can make that elemental irrelevant if you manage to beat the hell out of the caster. Also make sure you have some stuns (bludgeon), or a damage over time rend (blades) as well as the double strike. The damage over time from a fire arrow or a rend is really important.

Also as somebody else pointed out... let your auto attack hit then use your weapon skill. If you use the skill first then your auto attack timer resets. It's like getting two or three hits instead of one or two hits. It makes a difference. Especially if you root the guy and hit from behind.

PvP isn't for everybody, but don't give up because there is usually a way to take out any character type.

4. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Is that by design? It doesn't really make any sense.

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That sounds like by design to me. If it isn't it should be.

It is like learning how to fight. Gaining experience as a player of the game. If you use your skill first it resets your auto attack. If you let yourself attack first, then quickly hit the special attack, then you are fighting with finesse. (THAT IS THE SKILL OF PVP) That is what will make a more experienced player better than one who isn't as experienced.

One thing is for certain, it isn't a design flaw. It's tactics.

Slayer Exodus likes this.
  6. 3devious

3devious Avatar

My battlecry is "Not the face NOT THE FACE!!!" I don't know that much about tactics. Sometimes my opening move is to cast a root since I'm going to fight my husband who is an even bigger coward than I am. Is there a good way to get that timer reset? My weapon speed is going to be pretty low to begin with.

Slayer Exodus and Isaiah [MGT] like this.
  7. Malchor

Malchor Avatar

I think PvP definitively adds something to the game -- although I'm not yet sure if it'll be a major focus of my time on SoTA, I think it helps shape the world and expands the audience. I believe it is a good thing to have players with different goals and playing styles inhabiting the same continent. I do, however, strongly support the devs creation of specific PvP zones/locations, rather than open PvP everywhere. I would like to see different PvP zones have different dynamic scenarios -- for example, perhaps one zone you can enter is part of a large feud between two NPC lords, and you get randomized and rewarded for you service, another can maybe be a guild war...I would like to see the "free-for-all" zones minimized. The devs should try to weave some storyline and plot into as much as possible.

And maybe those folks who enjoy hanging out in the "free-for-all" zones and rack up kills, can gain brigand titles and even get bounties placed upon them.....incentives all around!

8. Floors

Floors Avatar

We got Shardfall Crater and Shardfall Ruin as PvP zones already, should be awesome to play in those

Espada and Malchor like this.
  9. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I think its a tough call. We do want players to be able to exit a PVP zone and not be stuck there. But also not be able to exploit it. Perhaps one answer is to have end zone (exit) flags that signal healing skills to be disabled.

10. Malchor

Malchor Avatar

Shardfall Crater and Shardfall Ruin looked very promising so far. I hope they continue to develop these areas and make even non-PvP minded players want to visit now and then (aside from hiding a rare resource and forcing a visit). I'd love to see a PvP town where even the NPCs and wandering sheep want a piece of you...a modern interpretation of the Buccaneer's Den?

I agree with creating a safe entry area and I like your approach to PvP -- it shows how much thought and strategy can go into that facet of the game.

Espada likes this.
  11. Owain

Owain Avatar

If you don't make a habit of camping the exit spot, it won't be a big problem. Hopefully, the PvP areas on release will be sizable. Zone in and go somewhere else.

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

It would be nice if the entrance zone would change based upon where people are camped.

In fact, it would be nice if we can leave the zone any direction. Therefore, the direction we enter from could change too.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

Malchor likes this.
  13. TheOneEyedJack

TheOneEyedJack Avatar

Having a semi safe zone is a good thing. Having a semi safe spot for players to retreat to can make for entertaining fights.

I don't think it's such a bad thing for a player to zone out when he's in combat but only if he was attacked and did not initiate the attack. Being able to run away when attacked makes the attacker have to work for their reward.

It would be interesting to see a "semi safe zone" that would allow players to take cover in but not make them completely zone out or invulnerable. It might help ease those who aren't comfortable with pvp into the environment. I expressed an idea for different difficulties for various pvp zones, I think this might tie in nicely with that idea.

14. Owain

Owain Avatar

Now that I think of it, I had thought that you wouldn't be able to zone out while fighting. You'd have a timer that would have to expire first precisely to avoid cheesy escapes like this. Did that change, or is it just not yet implemented? Anyone else recall this?

15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yes I do recall this. I think this is a temporary thing. Although things do change. I know players will not be able to go from PvP to PvE really fast. Leaving a zone I'm not sure.

Leaving the zone as you are dying is really cheep. It cannot be allowed. Either that or if the guy has a DoT on him he should still die even if he leaves the zone, and you should be able to peruse the guy into the next zone and loot him in peace.

16. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Captain Jack imagines that the Devs could see this coming from at least... Pluto, maybe even Proxima Centauri, and thinks that they have a plan to accomplish something here. Actually after the recent video Lum put out, Captain Jack suspects that they are trolling us so they can read threads like this!

Captain Jack does acknowledge that there is one issue here, dual scale. Many games will defeat this by allowing you to wander far outside the bounds of the, in SotA's case hex, area. There are no magic boundaries which exit you from the hex, which is SotA's current limitation.

Captain Jack thinks that trapping the player against a boundary is wrong. Captain Jack thinks that running away from PvP is natural, and that it will be done and that people should have a viable means to escape, but spawn camping hexes and jumping out of them when stuff gets real, is cowards breakfast!

Anyway, Captain Jack already thinks the Devs have an answer to this and they are just checking things out. If you want a real problem, Captain Jack will give you one. Suppose a hex has a hard limit of 50 players. Just you wait until we get big guilds who want to have a little bit of a war, they find that there are 10 members of their rival guild in the hex, and they jump in with 40 of themselves to prevent players from the other guild joining in to help their friends and assuring the enemy guild's demise. Now that, Captain Jack says, is what you need to worry about.

17. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Running away is one thing, leaving the zone is a totally different animal. if you can run away and hide in the trees or something but leaving the zone is cheap... although I did it about 200 times this release. lol

FYI-- Our hope is to remove teleport spells by making them require two casters to open a portal @Owain

I'm thinking there will be no recalls out of battle zones etc. They said we will be able to teleport to places we have been before, but they haven't gotten into much detail. Maybe teleportation spells will only work outside of combat mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.