PVP News from the R30 Hangout today...

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Poor game design, Jun 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

This concept strikes me more as troll tactics than enjoyable gameplay. It's known that people take pride in their toons and games are suppossed to be fun for everyone, not just some.

Not citing anyone specific with this comment, but if the only thing that makes PvP seem worthwhile is making other players feel a certain way, its a sadistic practice, and the devs should have known better than to go this direction. That's not what PVP is about.

The risk vs reward should remain strictly monetary.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    Ice Queen likes this.
  2. Skyo

Skyo Avatar

Shardfalls are a ghost town and always will be. @DarkStarr answer to my question was just pointing out existing features rather than addressing my concern.

Like I didn't know about the existing features after power testing for as long as I have.

My concern is how will pvp be evolving and more prominent within the game. Or more specifically what is port doing to make PVP better?

As instructed I'll leave my colorful opinions to myself about its current state. Hoping for a solid answer. If the answer is "nothing" I want to hear that from the devs so I can go play something else. It was my understanding that PVP would be implemented in a serious way.

Moonshadow, Abydos and Oba Evesor like this.
  3. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

I have an example of sadistic gameplay, being the devious player I am. All this is conjecture, not implied that I would or a form of endorsement. I now can purchase crowns. I know exactly what I will do with said crowns.
    I know how many shardfalls exist as well as pvp townships. In my hypothetical guild we coddle and influence with glory , a few woeful newbie players into camping said positions, for a portion of the loot and crowns as an incentive. Since the others in my hypothetical guild will be off playing and dungeon trekking with not a care in the game. Get a whisper or two, off we go to pillage and loot poor un-supecting merchant hoping to farm a while. Win win situation, and back to playing after we reward our campers with praise and loot.
    All hypothetical of course, but legit and all within the game boundaries.

4. Oba Evesor

Oba Evesor Avatar

@Leelu you sure you're not syndicate? :pThat is def Syn type thinking! lol

Ice Queen and Leelu like this.
  5. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

What he's saying that right now there are not enough people who want to spend most of the time doing PVP for them to make proper assessment for a huge revamp. It could be chicken and egg situation as well, but as for now I doubt they will put any significant effort on a huge PVP revamp until the final wipe other than some combat tweaking.

Leelu and Abydos like this.
  6. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

The whole body part stuff is just stupid. For those that really cared, I was ok with 'dog tags' are something similar that just had a name in most FPS games, but seriously, body parts? Moronic and childish.

7. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

''We want Full Loot''

Quote of my 2013 posted :D

Leelu and fantalio like this.
  8. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

@Oba Evesor --I played UO for many, many years, I know of many guilds that were there. Some were very entertaining and I learned quite a bit.:D:D

9. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

they need some smuggling quests, where you have to smuggle something through a pvp zone

10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It's also very enticing for gatherer's, crafters, and PvEers who enjoy a good risk for their reward. And there are plenty of those types. And so far everythign thats advantageous in pvp areas is acquirable in non-PvP areas, so noone is deprived for deciding not to PvP

11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Its easy to hurt someone elses pride in this manner without these mechanics, and they offer things players have been calling for. Like the ability to prove your completion as a bounty hunter, or as an accomplished PK or PvPer in general.

12. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I think it's a bad idea overall to force those who don't want to PVP to go in and PVP. Putting extra resources or some buffs in the PVP zones could also become counter productive when there are someone or some group dominating the area.

Having some quests that the players need to venture into the PVP zone could be a good carrot for those who want to risk getting jumped by other PVPers. The location will have to be spread out, though, so no one can just camp at the gate or the quest spot.

Leelu likes this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

You're not derailing the thread, these are all great topics of discussion that belong here as far as I'm concerned.

Here's my problem with what you're saying though. :)

The game is consensual pvp only. So for players that want a real area that is open pvp (and there's not very many of them, and they're relatively small places) you have very limited choices. So when I here you say something like "It then becomes an exclusive area for just the pvp player." I can't feel any empathy for that. Because the whole game is consensual. If people don't like pvp, well they really can't have their cake and eat it to. The flip side of that would be to allow pvper's to just run around the whole world killing anyone they see. (not to let them kill just whoever is flagged)

To me the reasonable PVE player gets this, and says "Yeah, it's a pvp area, that's why it's there. Enjoy it!" Then they walk off and go enjoy the other 95% of the game that is 100% protected from non-consensual pvp.

Leelu likes this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

I get that.

But that's the point of taking the body parts. If you can't risk it, fine, stay out of pvp then.

What I really dislike in a pvp system is a mechanic that allows players to avoid the very thing they fear the most. In your case, you want to be able to pvp but you don't want players to show that they bested you. I'm not judging you for that, all I'm saying is that as a person seeking meaningful pvp, I don't want to beat you in combat and have nothing of value to show for it. The way the ransom system works right now, you'd just pay off the ransom and I'd have a slightly higher gold count. And hey, I'm the same way, I don't want people killing me and taking body parts, but I love the risk involved with that.

Leelu likes this.
  15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

How meaningful the PvP is is up to you with current plans. Better access to certain resources, a good source of income if you're good at it, and the challenge of hunting another person. It's a gameplay style you can amke meaningful. it would be mroe abundant now but most who are going to take advantage of PvP zones are goign to single player or friends only mode to do so, and they have given insight into thier plans to resolve that.

Leelu likes this.
  16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

An increase to certain resources in PvP areas is not forcing people to PvP. It's opening options alot of non-PvPers want to increase thier reward for a fun risk, and does not affect your earning potential outside of PvP areas. There are already certain resources more abundant in shardfalls that are beign taken advantage of.

Leelu likes this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

Well, that might not be what PVP is about for you, but you're just one person. I'm also just one person, so I'll try to speak for just me and not all of pvp.

I do find that there are a lot of roleplaying opportunities with body parts that otherwise would've been removed if people could just block you from taking them by paying a ransom. The body parts are trophies as much as anything, and to deny someone a trophy when they earned a win in PVP is very disheartening to me. But I understand the want to maintain a good reputation, and for me if the ability to tarnish that reputation is not actually at risk, then that reputation is meaningless.

I don't believe that means that we should keep score with body parts (though I realize people will do that). But I do think that it may reduce some of the "arena style" pvp since now at least for some people (like myself) there is a guaranteed loss when you lose.

Leelu likes this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

What's wrong with that exactly? There's a message before you go into a shardfall or a pvp zone that tells you that people can kill you there and loot you.

So...giving that consent is on new guy. I'm not a new person killer, btw. I look down on that personally. But at some point people have to take responsibility for their own actions, especially when the entire game protects you and only YOU can stop that from happening.

Plus, that also opens up a whole new world for anti-pk's to actually have a purpose in this game.

Leelu and Fister Magee like this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

No one is forced to go anywhere in this game. That kind of logic is frustrating. The whole game is consensual. People can farm the same thing over and over again in single player mode if they want to. But in pvp areas, those places are designed for pvp and nothing more. That's why this makes sense. Otherwise, the pvp areas would be for pvp and exploitation of the game mechanics.

Leelu and Fister Magee like this.
  20. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Not true.

If you take the Champ Spawns/Harrower in UO, there were/are loads of non-PvPers who go and do it. Some join up with 'good' PvP guilds as well in order to take on the 'bad' guilds. Actually quite a lot of fun.

21. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Nothing wrong in collecting body parts........I used to collect heads in the early days on UO and lock them down on my doorstep.

Nice thing about SotA is that we might actually be able to craft with them. I would love to make a named suit with the skin of another player.

Oba Evesor, Leelu and Fister Magee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.