PVP out of curiosity -

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by blaquerogue, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhoward48

mhoward48 Avatar

Thank you, I think you hit the nail on the head. I do not know how to do it right. I tried it a couple of times, and felt absolutely lost!

I am glad to hear that it will most likely be optional. I may take you up on the offer, when we get in the game. If you have the patience.

2. Owain

Owain Avatar

Every computer game you might want to name has at its heart things that are simulated, driven by pseudo random number generators, that give things the appearance of reality. You might think you are in control of what you see, but that is an illusion. What I'm hearing from some people who are complaining about the proposed SotA system is that SotA is more up front about the simulation, and the software dice that are being thrown.

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I honestly haven't taken the time to read the combat system details that are known. But I am willing to be that it's not as random as you are trying to make it sound.

As Owain posted, everything is parsed through a random number generator, how much variance there will be is easily controllable by the devs. No reason the variance can't be tuned to be more or less random.

BillRoy [ab] likes this.
  4. 3devious

3devious Avatar

The "scary" part is the reason you will be one of the first people on my friends list. They had mentioned a feature where you could bring your offline friend along on an adventure with you. My robot Billroy won't be able to come along unless they make it act like the real thing. That might not be good though because he might kill robot Isaiah. :oops:
    What about those of us who aren't playing with a full deck because we ate some of the cards? bwahahahahahaahahahaha!

BillRoy [ab] likes this.
  5. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Well its supposed to be completely random or otherwise if the variance is controlled it wouldnt be random. You pick the cards that make uo the deck and the AI draws one for you supposedly completely randomly

6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

My instincts tell me this isn't true, so I am off to read the details... guess I need to log into my Dev+ account and check for a mega post.

Ned888 likes this.
  7. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I believe currently this is true. This is why so many people were anti becuase the random cards 'spin in and out' of your screen so you can only use what is available at that given time.

BillRoy [ab] likes this.
  8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

His statement makes it sound like it's RNG(100) This is completely random. What I am saying is it's not common practice in game making to use a RNG like that, there is always a control in there. Be it an internal control for the devs to tweak as needed or something the players can do to remove some of the randomness (like tighten the variable by increasing the skill)

100% random just doesn't happen. I have seen Chris in action, he wants controls and "knobs" so he can tweak anything and everything.

Ned888 likes this.
  9. Veylen The AenigmA

Well just because a dev can tweak it for himself has no effect on the actual player combat. Unless stated otherwise most ppl assume random means random. Any dev controls are not applicable unless they push them to the player side and if you can effect what card you draw then its news to us cause devs i dont think have stated otherwise

10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

That's just absurd. Think D&D pen and paper, the DM doesn't like how random something is if you roll a D20 so he says use a D10, that doesn't affect combat? Oh yeah it does.

11. Owain

Owain Avatar

Not even sure what you mean by that.

What system would you like if you were put in charge of specifying the design?

12. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Magic the Gathering is a stacked deck that you draw from randomly.... Are you stating that there is no skill in that game? That it's all luck? I'm afraid I can't see your point.

BillRoy [ab] and NRaas like this.
  13. Ara

Ara Avatar

If he want to have control why then choose a combat system that have random skill choice built into the system?

That is not control that is random skills and luck.

Sure some of the randomness could be removed but not all.

If they were seeking a player skill demanding combat system then they would go for a system where the player have full control.

This is not a PvP system for the hardcore PvP players. It is a system that please the casual PvP player cause they could compete with luck and randomness.

14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/lets-talk-about-combat.4094/
    *Linking the thread for reference

Deck - a customizable grouping for skills, this will help with RNG, slightly
    Slug - for balance, control to maintain skill vs RNG, level your skills to lessen the RNG
    Combo - Perk of the RNG
    Noble Skill - Direct removal of RNG
    Focus Skills - this is the part I am talking about. The player's focus skills allow for the player to tailor the RNG variance how they see fit.
    Locked Slot - Number of Noble Skills available at any given time, this allows the player's focus skills to open up for Noble Skills that are always available.
    Instinct - (see comment above on Locked Slots)
    Epiphany - This is a combat prep skill. With a max of 4 locked slots + max of 2 Epiphany skills that's 6 skills that are right there in front of you before you start combat.
    Versatility - More slots = more rolls of the RNG = more available abilities.
    Second Guess - Ability to flag a skill as a priority in the deck, direct control of the RNG
    Spark of Brilliance - Slugs increase the variance, this skill allows you to turn the slug into something useful and control the removal of a lesser desired RNG
    Recollection - Increases the time you can hold onto a good RNG
    Brainstorm - Decreases the time you wait to replace a used card or removed bad RNG
    Concentration - This one looks to be huge for player control of hitting those combos

So yeah, I will stick with my instinct. The deck system is random but the player skill set Focus Skill is designed to allow players direct control over how random it can be.

And if it's not working as well as they hope, there is a back up plan.

Ned888 likes this.
  15. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Now, I'm not 100% certain, but from the videos I've seen you get control of your movement (in and out of range) and you get a basic attack based on the weapon you have equipped. That's your control group. When you get more experience, you get more options, hence the cards which are your spells and special maneuvers. The more experienced you are, the more of a single ability you can add to your deck, so you have a much higher chance of hitting your desired mark in battle.

I think you will also be able to lock in specific specials, so they are always available thus stacking your deck exactly how you want it. The issue here is that if you lock abilities, then you don't get the combos that they were discussing (i.e. - combining two flame darts to create a fireball, etc.).

It sounds to me like we will have quite a bit of control. I'm more than willing to wait until the release with combat (R4 I think) to see what they are offering. I'm intrigued.

16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Every combat system has RNG

Ned888 likes this.
  17. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Where the heck you get that information from? From that I have read and that have been mentioned in a few videos it NOT completely random. Thins like your skill levels is one factor.

18. Owain

Owain Avatar

Even in a simple combat system like UO, random numbers abound.

You take a swing.

Did you hit? Random number.

Did the target evade? Random number.

Dodge? Random number.

Parry? Random number.

Block? Random number.

How much damage did you inflict? Random number.

How much damage was mitigated by armor? Random number.

Player skill in computer games is largely an illusion. Instead of thinking about skills, everyone should instead be appealing to the gods of the pseudo random number generators.

Lord Baldrith, mmjarec and Ristra like this.
  19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The way I see it, combo's are looking to be a huge bonus. The RNG is the control of that bonus. The player is given the option to drop the combos and instead use the cooldown method of controlling that bonus.

Cooldown combat is spreadsheet combat, no skill involved at all. They have stated from the beginning they want to have a more creative system, one that allows for player interaction on the condition of battle. The deck system looks like it will do that. I have pretty good impressions of the system, from a glance, and I hope we don't need to roll back to spreadsheet (WoW) combat.

20. Veylen The AenigmA

From websters dictionary under the word random. Which they stated card drops would be

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.