PvP should never hinder or disencourage exploring

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rschultzy80

rschultzy80 Avatar

@Lord_Darkmoon "If a blacksmith would want to mine ore or if a fighter would want to forge his own sword he could do it without being forced into a fight and maybe getting beaten up?"

"There shouldn?t even be the option that you CAN?T get something. You should always be able to get everything, imho. And I do not want to have access to MOST areas without paticipating in PvP, I want to have access to ALL areas of the game."

You can, you sit near the forge, pay above market price for ore/ingots (whatever mats) and never be in danger all game. That's entirely your decision.

2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

You don't understand. I want to mine the ore and forge my own weapons myself. I don't want to sit around and just buy it. If it is a game feature I want to experience it myself, i want to DO it myself. In peace without having to fight someone.

3. rschultzy80

rschultzy80 Avatar

You could mine in some towns in UO, not the best returns tho. Any place with less risk will inherently bring less reward.

Should mining be the most dangerous thing in the world? No. But it shouldn't be the safest either. You have any idea how many miners die every year in the real world? It's a dangerous proposition. The more danger, the more reward. How is this not self-evident?

So what you don't understand, is you can sit in town you're entire gaming experience. Just might take 6 years to mine enough ore for a chest piece. Again, that's up to you.

4. Ara

Ara Avatar

It's called risk vs reward. Enter a area that put you in danger and also give you a big reward on accomplish much solve this thread.
    Without no risks less reward, yes.

5. Ara

Ara Avatar

Delucia had some valorite and verite spots, i prefer those rare spots to be out of safe area though.

6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

So if I understand correctly I have to submit to how PvP-players want this game to be. "Play our way, let me beat you up or else go and play something else or sit around in town all the time..."
    Who are you to dictate how everyone should play this game?
    I say, if you want to do PvP then do it, fight against each other, build your castle, fight in guild sieges and get your well earned rewards for it - even the option to get a higher chance of finding high-level ressources.
    BUT let me play the game the way I want. Do not force me into PvP if I want to explore the world and mine ore. Let me walk around in peace and do everything you do. If I want to gather high-level ressources then let me gather them - I will gladly accept a lower chance of finding them. But I should be able to find them and enter every area of the game world without being forced into PvP.

7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think what needs tobe put to rest is the whole Risk factor, we keep hearing even in this thread that if you accept the risk of pvp you should get a big reward. Unfortunately, Risk is relative. Risk can be different in every case, pve and pvp combined. Some PVP players suck and risk is zero. Some pve areas are really hard and should provide large rewards as well. So, how do you balance it? That is the real question.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Ara

Ara Avatar

To get the best rewards out of exploring you need to take some risks. Getting rewarded without taking risks make no sense whatsoever.

9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I am a gaming-journalist. Every day I write articles, review games etc. So I should not be rewarded for doing my work because sitting in front of my PC is not risky?

Mining some ore or gathering herbs in a forest should be possible without being forced into PvP. Wild animals or monsters roaming around are making it risky, too. So non PvP-players should also be able to get high-level ressources.

10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

@Ara thank you for reading my post. I said there is risk in more things then just PVP. So hopefully we all we get the risks we want as well as the rewards.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Ara

Ara Avatar

Well being a gamimg journalist doeant impress me, i think i have alot more experience then you have when it comes to gaming. Taking a risk should be rewarded since you put something to the table, might be your loot or something else.
    To get the best rewards ingame you need to put a sacrifice to the table, full loot is here a good option.
    Why should you get he best reward without putting out a risk? Make no sense whatsoever.

12. Ara

Ara Avatar

@rune-74 - Hi mate, youre getting there.=)
    Have to say im impressed with your improvements lately. Your listening and that i sure appreciate. Well done mate.
    I'm sure we never will meet halfway but i respect you alot more now, GG.

13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

@Ara I'm confused? I have always listened.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

@Ara This is typical for discussions on the Internet. Sorry but your answer shows me that a discussion with you is pointless. Although all I wanted to express was that my job is not risky and according to your logic therefore I should get nothing for it you attack me... I conclude this discussion with you by bowing before your omnipotent gaming-superpowers...

15. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

It's really not about risk vs reward. A lord owns the castle. He has sheep. You can buy his sheep. You can fight him for the sheep. You can get someone else to fight him for the sheep. But you can't just walk into his farm and take his sheep without paying because you thought you were "exploring". It's no different with ore or anything else. Someone owns them. They're not free on the ground. There aren't just random chests full of loot waiting for people to find them. Things of value are owned by someone and you need a reason for them to give them up.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

@primerib What are you on about? No one just wants things given to them.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I keep hearing "i just want to gather herbs and farm ore without PvP". There are herbs and orb <i>on someone else's property</i>. Just like the real world, property that has value by virtue of having resources on it is owned.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Lanatir

Lanatir Avatar

what gives you the impression that property could somehow be YOUR property?? theres going to be towns and villages where you can have player housing and thats it. the wilderness is that. wild. nothing there is YOURS.

19. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

@primerib um....so what? I don't think people mean other peoples property free access...

People want to farm and gather resources without being annoyed by pvp in the forrest...?

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Owain

Owain Avatar

Well, it is realistic. Exploring Syria right now might not be the best idea, nor many parts of Africa where rival factions are busy killing each other left and right. Dangerous PvP areas, you might say. So if SotA defines certain geographic regions to be open PvP, PvE players might want to consider exploring elsewhere, particularly if you can get the same resources elsewhere.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.