Questing mechanics I would like to see.

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by SBJones, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBJones

SBJones Avatar

Obvious quests. Like other MMOs, the quest givers are easy to spot. This is good for starting players and driving the story line. NPC's that need your help should be easily spotted.

Hidden quests. Anyone play the original EQ? Every quest was hidden. Not only did you have to hail an NPC but you also had to talk to them using the correct keywords to get a reaction. Great mechanic that seems to have been completely dropped from MMOs. I hope to see it returned in SotA.

Reset timers. Timed lockouts suck. It's extremely disappointing to have a "daily" quest simply be a 24h lockout. Get home later in the day, do a daily and tomorrow when you're home on time, you're still locked out for an hour or more. Daily/weekly quests need to simply reset at midnight. Hourly lockouts should be avoided. If a quest/dungeon becomes popular to where it's run repeatedly, then it needs to be balanced some other way. I can't think of any reason why not letting players play the game by locking them out is good.

NPC's that forget who you are kill story. I hope SotA avoids major story characters that have amnesia. WoW has this problem. You personally save the prince as a baby. You help tutor and guide him in learning right and wrong. You fight side by side defeating the world ending evil. Hey look, it's the prince. "Hello citizen. Perhaps you can help." Whoa, what's this hello citizen crap? This entire kingdom owes its existence to me and you call me citizen? Why are you standing here like a goof hoping to find help? Why didn't you send someone to get me if you are in this much trouble?

Randomized questing. I would like to see some sort of quest randomizing. You can have your 2-3 main quests in a hub. 4-5 side quests. Then some sort of mechanic that just churns out endless quests you can do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.