Question on GM support in game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rapdjp49, Jan 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rapdjp49

rapdjp49 Avatar

From what I have read on a few posts, there will be GM in game support. I just wanted to ask if it will be similar to UO? Where u would request to speak to a GM & they would appear in game & help with whatever problem you are having.
    If this is so, I can use this to persuade quite a few of my friends from choosing SotA as their next game. We were recently in Archeage & on our server, we were one of the top 3 guilds in regards to membership. That game was a disaster for help from a GM. You had to go into n online chat to speak to a GM & the wait was anywhere from 1 to 5 hours. I had a problem, spoke to 4 different GM's, the problem was never resolved or fixed. Those 4 GM's combined. were no smarter than a bucket of rocks!!
    Anyway, I always praised the way UO has handled GM support, where an actual player appeared & talked to u & if required, actually looked at your problem (depending on the scenario).
    Players in good standing could actually apply for part time GM duty, if I remember correctly.
    So, if someone can confirm if this is the way SotA GM support will work, I would appreciate it.
    This way I can pass it on to those that need to know,
    My thanks to all that reply,, one more thing, I am enjoying SotA now, I can only imagine how fantastic it will be upon release.

One Zero, Themo Lock and lollie like this.
  2. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

This is a good question, I also would love to see strong GM support for the game, with a GM popping up in person to help us.

Just makes a game seem so much more friendly :)

Themo Lock and Logain like this.
  3. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Yes it will be like UO, LB and other GMs already make appearance to various player events as they can. :)

Themo Lock, rapdjp49 and lollie like this.
  4. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

I might also add they have all said if you need support in putting on your own event, dont be afraid ti whisper them and ask, they will do all they can to get you what you need. :)

Themo Lock likes this.
  5. rapdjp49

rapdjp49 Avatar

Thank you Keira, you made my day.
    I will pass this info on to my friends and spread the word. This will be a major plus, to a lot of players that did not know this.
    Have a great day,,,

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  6. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

UO had a subscription cost. SotA will not. I wonder if Portalarium can afford to pay a professional GM staff.

The devs will have GM abilities while in game, but the devs won't be in game 24/7. They also have to make future episodes.

I suspect we might see community volunteers with limited GM abilities.

7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

this could work

Themo Lock and lollie like this.
  8. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

That would be great. Just having someone who is able to help you pop up in person dressed up in their little avatar and help you out makes for a fine game experience.

Themo Lock and Tahru like this.
  9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

If I recall correctly giving volunteers limited GM capabilities in the past didn't always work out. I would think the potential for abuse of power would be relatively high depending on how much pull they really have.

Alexander likes this.
  10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

What I would expect is
    1. GM powers are only available during the working shift
    2. A log of all GM activity would be kept and reviewed periodically
    3. There would be more than 1 GM on at a time and people cannot ask for a particular one

lollie and enderandrew like this.
  11. Barnabas Znick

Barnabas Znick Avatar

Wait, what? There will NOT be a subscription cost here? I just lost a lot of faith in the game if not.

Every non-sub MMO I have played has had serious problems due to the pay structure. You end up with people who are not invested and act like clowns, and those who can afford to spend the most RL money in the cash shops end up with the best houses, most prestige, overpowered in pvp, and more.

PLEASE make me give you money every month so we're all on the same level!!!!!

Z

lollie and Tahru like this.
  12. enderandrew

This is not pay to win just because other games are. Many of those games are "free to play" so the only payment model is to buy some sort of energy or game bonus.

This game is old school in that you pay once up front (your pledge) and there are no monthly costs.

People can get houses and lots in game for gold they earn. You don't pay for PvP advantages or anything like that.

They will sell vanity add-ons in the add-on store to make money.

TheMadHermit and lollie like this.
  13. Barnabas Znick

Barnabas Znick Avatar

I'd have more faith if we paid to buy the game and that was it, OR we paid to play and they added a sub. I'll rephrase what I said above and say any game with a cash shop that I've played has got totally screwed up after a while. I swore I would never play another game with a cash shop for that reason.

They always start with good intentions selling only vanity and cosmetic things, but over time it still ends up with the person who spends the most $ wins. What's to keep people from buying dozens of vanity items and selling them for gold, then spending the gold on the best armor and weapons? Sadly, this is the path EVERY game I've seen with a cash shop go. I guess if they made all the cash shop items bound it wouldn't be as bad, but I still would rather pay a sub.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but maybe I'll create another.

14. enderandrew

In early interviews Richard mentioned he didn't want any micro-transactions but I think Starr made him realize the necessity of some form of add-on store.

We have the add-on store currently. There are pets, outfits, houses, etc. They are vanity items. The add-on store will determine PvP superiority.

It is also in the Official FAQ and my Unofficial FAQ that this is a buy once game.

15. EmberFlame

EmberFlame Avatar

EDIT- took out the stuff about the F2P model. Will move to a different thread if needed.

---------

In reference to the OP, I will say that having awesome GMs is definitely a big deal!

And I'd be willing to pay a subscription fee if it meant getting them. ;)

16. rapdjp49

rapdjp49 Avatar

Having a good GM support base is a MAJOR plus & I believe part time GM's will not keep the populous happy. That is just my opinion.
    Can someone please explain why subscription type games have now changed to having stores to buy upgrades?

I feel when u have monthly subscribers, it creates a bond between the players & the company that developed the game. By having revenue come in, it gives the incentive to always develop new things for the game.
    If the store sales do not sell as expected, will the developers still go forward, to keep making the game better & not self destruct?
    I so want this game to be the one that I stay with for a long time.
    How about this for a suggestion,, a monthly fee that goes into an account bank, like a layaway plan, so they have the cash to buy something when they accumulate the needed amount?
    It would not be a "required" monthly fee, but something u can build, so u don't have to shell out a huge amount all at once. This is just me thinking outside the box.
    Looking forward to see the reply's on this,, thank you in advance for all who do,,

17. FanofIolo

FanofIolo Avatar

For those (like me) new to Online gaming: What type of problem is a GM called upon to solve during game play?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.